Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 7,076 times

Advertisements

ok my names Alex im 18 im going to penn state berks this year and was thinking of going to Florida,Texas somewhere wher i can find big parties and girls (and yes i do wanna study at the same time but it doesnt mean i cant have fun) i heard Orlando has a lot of old people living down there but some people told me there arent many in Orlando by the way i wanted to go to UCF i need some help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 03:07 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
Couldn't tell you about old people, but I have heard UCF is tough to get into. I don't know how true it is though.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:28 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingdude17 View Post
ok my names Alex im 18 im going to penn state berks this year and was thinking of going to Florida,Texas somewhere wher i can find big parties and girls (and yes i do wanna study at the same time but it doesnt mean i cant have fun) i heard Orlando has a lot of old people living down there but some people told me there arent many in Orlando by the way i wanted to go to UCF i need some help
Surfingdude, your post made me laugh. "Old" is relative. I don't think I'm old, but my son who is a senior at UCF would disagree! LOL

UCF is the 2nd largest university in Florida and one of the fastest growing universities in the nation. In 2006, UCF had an enrollment of almost 47,000 students. The 2006 edition of The Princeton Review listed it as one of the top 300 colleges in the nation. UCF is getting increasingly difficult to get into as the quality of the students applying for admission increases. Freshmen admitted in 2006 had an average high school GPA of 3.7 and average SAT scores over 1200.

What is your intended major? The College of Engineering and Computer Science is one of UCF's strongest majors. They have built incredible buildings to house these departments. UCF's College of Engineering & Computer Science was recently classified as a research university by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. This is the highest level of classification. My son is a computer science major.

As you may have heard, UCF will also be opening a College of Medicine in the Lake Nona area (south east Orlando). Its four-year curriculum is anticipated to begin clinical education in Fall 2009 and the college is expected to produce about 120 medical graduates a year.

Other UCF information:
UCF is one of the Top 60 schools in the country in enrollment of National Merit Scholars.

UCF is one of two Florida schools in the top 106 Academic Ranking of World Universities in the category of Engineering & Computer Science.

UCF is the largest university in Florida in terms of undergraduates and second largest overall.

UCF had the highest passing rate in the nation on the National CPA exam in Fall 2003.

The Computer Science Programming Team placed 1st in the 2007 southeast ACM Regional Programming Competition. The college’s now 25-year-old record of "top three in the southeast" continues. Faculty advisor, Dr. Ali Orooji, says that out of more than 6,000 teams from 75 countries, UCF is one of about 80 teams advancing to the World Championship round in Spring 2007. The Programming Team has placed as high as 2nd in past World Championships.
(GO TEAM!)

UCF Digital Media students won the first Red Bull Build game design competition in the summer of 2006.

UCF has the lowest rate of crime per capita of all Florida state universities.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:41 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
As you may have heard, UCF will also be opening a College of Medicine in the Lake Nona area (south east Orlando). Its four-year curriculum is anticipated to begin clinical education in Fall 2009 and the college is expected to produce about 120 medical graduates a year.
I heard on the news tonight that the UCF College of Medicine is planning to award free tuition for their first class of 40 to the medical school! Isn't that a great way to open up?

What would even be better is my granddaughter getting into that first class!

Oh, and to the OP: There are lots of gorgeous college and college-age girls in Orlando. Better hurry before they're all taken though!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,076 times
thanx for your help by the way, i want to go for business maybe interntional banking and i looked on collegeboard.com and it doesn't look hard to get into UCF
Middle 50% of
First-Year Students Percent Who Submitted Scores
SAT Critical Reading: 520 - 610 61%
SAT Math: 540 - 640 61%
SAT Writing: 500 - 590 61%
ACT Composite: 22 - 27 39%

Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
Quote:
thanx for your help by the way, i want to go for business maybe interntional banking and i looked on collegeboard.com and it doesn't look hard to get into UCF
Middle 50% of
First-Year Students Percent Who Submitted Scores
SAT Critical Reading: 520 - 610 61%
SAT Math: 540 - 640 61%
SAT Writing: 500 - 590 61%
ACT Composite: 22 - 27 39%
You have a broad range of statistics and it has alot to do with the "college" you want to be in. I know several kids who got accepted into UCF but didn't get into the program of their choice. These kids were in nursing, some areas of education and computer science and engineering. For instance, the computer science kids have to pass a Foundations Exam before they can continue to upper level computer science classes. When my son took the exam they seated 40 students and only 5 passed. Statistically less than 10 percent of the kids who start out as CS majors graduate with a CS degree - most change to IT or some related field. I also know one young lady with a 3.9 GPA and over 1300 on the SAT that still didn't get in - she wanted to be in the nursing program. It was published in the Orlando Sentinel this year that UCF accepted about 40% of the students who applied to the nursing program.

I'm not trying to discourage you and the business programs may be easier. In fact, I can't speak for the business programs at UCF - I've never heard anything about them. I do know that the best school for a Business Degree in the area is Rollins in Winter Park - only a few miles from UCF. A business degree from Stetson in Deland also holds prestige, but it is a small town and probably would not be the party school you're looking for.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:02 AM

640 posts, read 3,074,610 times
Quote:
Orlando is a town like anywhere else, filled with people of all ages. I live and work near UCF and my impression is that this campus is nothing like what you would experience if you just stayed put and went to Penn State, especially at State College. My son is a senior there and loves it. The whole town caters to the university and I'm sure you don't need me to tell you about the party life there. As well, you would be paying out of state tuition here in Florida but that may not be an issue for you.

I'm sure you already know this but my Mom side can't help myself. Focus on your education before you go looking for a better party school!

Old 06-08-2007, 06:19 PM

88 posts, read 264,725 times
It's also an hour from the beach if you're still into surfing at all. North vs. south locale makes a tremendous difference in quality of life. FYI. Orlando is not known to be a college town. moonbeam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: