Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:32 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times

Advertisements

No I definitely would not define all of Dade or Broward as snowbirds. Having lived in both Dade and Broward I'm very aware that the areas outside of the main tourist areas are primarily residential (West Broward and just about anything outside of South Beach isn't snow bird territory. My assumption though is that the poster wants to work in an area such as South Beach, the intracoastal or downtown Ft. Laudy. Of course they may be able to find work in a place like the Sawgrass or along 441 but then they would be pretty far from the nightlife. Because Orlando just isn't as big, there are really very few clusters of restaraunts here but those clusters are in my opinion, less affected by snowbirds and seasonal tourism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 AM

433 posts, read 1,011,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
No I definitely would not define all of Dade or Broward as snowbirds. Having lived in both Dade and Broward I'm very aware that the areas outside of the main tourist areas are primarily residential (West Broward and just about anything outside of South Beach isn't snow bird territory. My assumption though is that the poster wants to work in an area such as South Beach, the intracoastal or downtown Ft. Laudy. Of course they may be able to find work in a place like the Sawgrass or along 441 but then they would be pretty far from the nightlife. Because Orlando just isn't as big, there are really very few clusters of restaraunts here but those clusters are in my opinion, less affected by snowbirds and seasonal tourism.
Good point. What stiffles me about south florida is i have to figure out where to work and live while still having nightlife access. I am primarily looking to live in southbeach or fort lauderdale. I would commute to work but I wouldnt want more than a 30 minute commute and would like to minimize it to less than that.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:02 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Good point. What stiffles me about south florida is i have to figure out where to work and live while still having nightlife access. I am primarily looking to live in southbeach or fort lauderdale. I would commute to work but I wouldnt want more than a 30 minute commute and would like to minimize it to less than that.
In South Beach, you'd be living right in the area. No commute needed

You can walk everywhere quite reasonably. Live, work, play, eat, no car required even.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In South Beach, you'd be living right in the area. No commute needed

You can walk everywhere quite reasonably. Live, work, play, eat, no car required even.
Im starting to feel pumped up about doing southbeach. I worry of the offseason though and there are not a lot of rooms up for grabs and even less that are affordable.

Maybe I should try Orlando first and at the end of the year if Im not happy get to southbeach.

If I could get a good job in southbeach though, and end up in a good situation there I would be on top of the mountain and it would be my most incredible situation ever. Of course the same could be said if I won the megabucks.

I have to admit though, it's tempting.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:30 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
If you could find a job and reasonable housing, Southbeach would be the best option. The scene there is unparalleled. Again though, that is a big IF. People looking to find a restaurant job and live the glamorous life on Southbeach are like the masses that travel to LA to make it BIG. If you really want to go to S. FL you may be better off starting in Ft. Laudy. Finding a place near 95 and finding a job in downtown Ft. Laudy or Las Olas.

For Orlando, you can find a reasonable place in the millenia area or downtown if you get into a roommate situation. As I said before, most jobs you would be looking for would be in either the Tourist corridor, Millenia, Downtown or Winter Park areas.

Take it for what it's worth. I really do wish hope you find a good situation.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
If you could find a job and reasonable housing, Southbeach would be the best option. The scene there is unparalleled. Again though, that is a big IF. People looking to find a restaurant job and live the glamorous life on Southbeach are like the masses that travel to LA to make it BIG. If you really want to go to S. FL you may be better off starting in Ft. Laudy. Finding a place near 95 and finding a job in downtown Ft. Laudy or Las Olas.

For Orlando, you can find a reasonable place in the millenia area or downtown if you get into a roommate situation. As I said before, most jobs you would be looking for would be in either the Tourist corridor, Millenia, Downtown or Winter Park areas.

Take it for what it's worth. I really do wish hope you find a good situation.
In clearwater right now. Planning on either commuting to orlando to job hunt or staying in tampa to job hunt for the next few days. Then it's probably off to check out south florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando