Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:29 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,528 times

Advertisements

I have a good friend who lives in south florida and wants me to come hangout for a while and try to find a job.

I work in the restaurant industry and there are some of those same restaurants as the one I worked at down there but I doubt they do too well. I also hear the offseason can be rough down there for people working in restaurants.

I love the beach and I hear the nightlife is good down there too and more abundant than orlando but it is also very spread out and if it's not near where I live I wont have the money or the ability to go enjoy it the majority of the time.

So I will basically be stuck with the nightlife in the area for the most part and I have no plans to live in Miami itself. I will be somewhere north of that, preferably it would be fort lauderdale.

I have some good acquantances I have met in Orlando and i love the area, I also have a friend in Tampa so I could go there and job hunt in orlando but thats an hour and a half commute back and forth.

There are also short term places in orlando I could stay but that costs money and I dont have money coming in at this very second because I have to move tomorrow!! The lease is up.

I like Orlando and I love going out. At the same time I enjoyed my nights out in south florida too!

Im intriqued by the idea of living close to some of the nightlife and getting out and enjoying it. Conveniant and easy to access nightlife is great for me!

I also understand that orlando has at least some degree of year round tourism and a lot of locals in the immediate area that would support business in restaurants and make it likely that I can make money here.

Can you guys help me make a decision? I have to leave tonight or tomorrow and I don't know where I should go!!! lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 04:53 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I have a good friend who lives in south florida and wants me to come hangout for a while and try to find a job.

I work in the restaurant industry and there are some of those same restaurants as the one I worked at down there but I doubt they do too well. I also hear the offseason can be rough down there for people working in restaurants.

I love the beach and I hear the nightlife is good down there too and more abundant than orlando but it is also very spread out and if it's not near where I live I wont have the money or the ability to go enjoy it the majority of the time.

So I will basically be stuck with the nightlife in the area for the most part and I have no plans to live in Miami itself. I will be somewhere north of that, preferably it would be fort lauderdale.

I have some good acquantances I have met in Orlando and i love the area, I also have a friend in Tampa so I could go there and job hunt in orlando but thats an hour and a half commute back and forth.

There are also short term places in orlando I could stay but that costs money and I dont have money coming in at this very second because I have to move tomorrow!! The lease is up.

I like Orlando and I love going out. At the same time I enjoyed my nights out in south florida too!

Im intriqued by the idea of living close to some of the nightlife and getting out and enjoying it. Conveniant and easy to access nightlife is great for me!

I also understand that orlando has at least some degree of year round tourism and a lot of locals in the immediate area that would support business in restaurants and make it likely that I can make money here.

Can you guys help me make a decision? I have to leave tonight or tomorrow and I don't know where I should go!!! lol.
For real?

I think Orlando is fine depending on where you live. There is plenty to do downtown every night of the week. You'll be about an hour from the beach. Heck, you can try it here for a while and then if you don't like it, head south.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:15 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
I agree with beckycat.. why don't you just try Orlando out for a while and see how you like it? There's plenty of nightlife.. from downtown clubs to places on I-Drive and at Citywalk.

You'll probably want to see what areas you like better in general, not just for the clubs. Remember, there's the whole daytime aspect of life too

Old 03-31-2010, 05:30 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times
I'd say go wherever you find the job at. Seriously. I love Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and Orlando. I prefer Miami to the others. But its really personal preference. I've lived in Orlando and Miami for a long time and have spent a bit of time in Ft. Lauderdale, if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer but I don't want to say too much and turn this into another Orlando vs Miami thread, the end result is its personal preference. If you have a question about a specific difference for your own tastes though ask away.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:12 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I don't think anyone can seriously tell you where to go. Many people move to both of those locations for a wide variety of reasons, and every single one of them has a very different experience - sometimes positive, sometimes not.

Why don't you re-visit both cities and see all of your friends...and make a decision afterwards?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:17 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Personally, I would pick which ever area I know more people in, since locals always know the best places to go to, etc. it can be very helpful.. But if i knew no one in either city, I would pick downtown orlando over downtown ft lauderdale. Its more walkable, is larger, and its filled with locals, not tourists.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:48 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
With all due respect, it seems that you are more worried about the nightlife than the job. Given your current situation and the urgency I would go wherever you could live the cheapest while securing a job. Both areas are comparable in the restaurant industry although I feel Orlando may have a slight advantage as the restaurants here are less seasonal due to year round tourism, no real snow bird season and most restaurants north of I-drive are supported by residents as opposed to tourist. But again, if you have no income coming in, go where you can support yourself. I don't mean to sound preachy but if I were in your shoes that would be my deciding factor. You will have fun in both places trust me, but of course fun is not free, need a job first.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I feel Orlando may have a slight advantage as the restaurants here are less seasonal due to year round tourism, no real snow bird season and most restaurants north of I-drive are supported by residents as opposed to tourist.
Are you sure about this? All of Dade/Broward are just snowbird tourists than come in and live seasonally...and they all dissappear out-of-season...a metro area of 3 or 4 times more than Orlando.

This is similar thinking to people who believe NY or Boston 'shut down' for 6 months when it snows.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:05 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Are you sure about this? All of Dade/Broward are just snowbird tourists than come in and live seasonally...and they all dissappear out-of-season...a metro area of 3 or 4 times more than Orlando.

This is similar thinking to people who believe NY or Boston 'shut down' for 6 months when it snows.
metro Orlando's population is 2,100,000 south FL's is 5,400,000. So its 2 1/2 times larger. not 3 or 4. Nice try though. Also South FL's metro area is 6,100 sq miles and Metro Orlando's area is 4,000 sq miles. South FL is much older and its the gateway to latin america so of course its going to have more people than Orlando. But despite how many people any metro has. The restaurant to person ratio is prolly about the same in both areas. So just because there are more people doesn't mean the restaurants are going to be more busy.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
metro Orlando's population is 2,100,000 south FL's is 5,400,000. So its 2 1/2 times larger. not 3 or 4. Nice try though. Also South FL's metro area is 6,100 sq miles and Metro Orlando's area is 4,000 sq miles. South FL is much older and its the gateway to latin america so of course its going to have more people than Orlando. But despite how many people any metro has. The restaurant to person ratio is prolly about the same in both areas. So just because there are more people doesn't mean the restaurants are going to be more busy.
My basic message was that 5,400,000 people in South Florida aren't snowbirds who stop eating for 6 months during the 'off-season'.

So this 'argument' I keep hearing from the Orlando boards that somehow Orlando people eat in restaurants in Orlando during the off-season, and everyone in South Florida packs up and leaves is a ridiculous argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando