Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:50 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJChris View Post
I recently moved to the Winter Park area, and am starting to look around for a parish to join. I'm especially interested in finding a church with an active choir that I could join, ideally one that does more traditional music (less folk, more classical). But I've found that often goes hand in hand with more socially conservative parishes...and I'm definitely not interested in giving my time and money to a parish that is actively anti-choice (for instance, sponsoring or organizing abortion clinic picketers).

Suggestions, anyone?

Huh? Roman Catholicism, by its very nature (and doctrine) is "actively" anti-abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 05:17 PM

626 posts, read 976,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJChris View Post
I recently moved to the Winter Park area, and am starting to look around for a parish to join. I'm especially interested in finding a church with an active choir that I could join, ideally one that does more traditional music (less folk, more classical). But I've found that often goes hand in hand with more socially conservative parishes...and I'm definitely not interested in giving my time and money to a parish that is actively anti-choice (for instance, sponsoring or organizing abortion clinic picketers).

Suggestions, anyone?
You gotta be kidding! If you are not against abortion, you are not a Catholic. You can call yourself one, but you are not one.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 PM

782 posts, read 1,368,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
You gotta be kidding! If you are not against abortion, you are not a Catholic. You can call yourself one, but you are not one.
Not that I have a dog in the fight, but I'm wondering if since you don't practice what is put forward in Matthew 7:1, are you speaking about it as a non-Christian?

Old 08-31-2014, 07:15 PM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
Not that I have a dog in the fight, but I'm wondering if since you don't practice what is put forward in Matthew 7:1, are you speaking about it as a non-Christian?
Oh no you didn't. I love a good bible-thumping beat-down.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
No, as a Catholic, or as inmost Christian religions,I'm stating a fact. God said "life begins at conception". Every Catholic knows that. Maybe the OP wants to go by people's rules not God's rules concerning this. That (abortion)goes against the Catholic faith.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
God said "life begins at conception".
Can you provide the bible citation for that (and the name of which bible you're using)? Just curious…. not Catholic, and haven't identified as a Christian for about 20 years, but I love learning about other's views. And since you're not willing to address the violation of that one bible verse I mentioned earlier, I figured I'd see if maybe you are using some other bible that I haven't heard about.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Can you provide the bible citation for that (and the name of which bible you're using)? Just curious…. not Catholic, and haven't identified as a Christian for about 20 years, but I love learning about other's views. And since you're not willing to address the violation of that one bible verse I mentioned earlier, I figured I'd see if maybe you are using some other bible that I haven't heard about.
Jeremiah 1:5 says, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Old 09-01-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Jeremiah 1:5 says, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
Okay, then if you are going by that literally, it means life begins BEFORE conception, not at conception. I'm sure you can realize how that can be problematic, and non-sensical, yes?

If you are taking the "you" to refer to every person out there for the first part of that sentence, then it means that every person has been appointed to be a prophet. So that means every person from the President to Osama bin Laden to my toddler is a prophet of god. If the "you" in the second half only refers one individual person, then the first half would also refer to a singular individual.

But then again, stressing an OT book of the bible over the NT totally means that Jesus was lying about the whole "new covenant" thing. That then makes it not one but two times that you've disagreed with Jesus -- and are still comfortable with a Christian designation for yourself? Just something to think about…

Also, I'm curious if you share Jeremiah's views about loincloths as a prophet to the nations.

For the OP and others asking about less conservative Catholic parishes, when I was considering the idea of church shopping to see if there's something that would fit my spiritual needs, I did a lot of looking at calendars on church web sites. While almost all Catholic churches will have some sort of anti-abortion meet-and-greet, if they just have the token meeting once a month or so but have more of the events on the calendar focused on things like helping the poor or building relationships with the community that they serve, you can tell pretty quickly where their priorities are at and see if their priorities are in line with yours.

This area has a lot of variety of religious experiences for people of all faith and social experiences for people of no faith. It may take some searching, but you'll find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando