Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 AM

5 posts, read 23,961 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to the Winter Park area, and am starting to look around for a parish to join. I'm especially interested in finding a church with an active choir that I could join, ideally one that does more traditional music (less folk, more classical). But I've found that often goes hand in hand with more socially conservative parishes...and I'm definitely not interested in giving my time and money to a parish that is actively anti-choice (for instance, sponsoring or organizing abortion clinic picketers).

Suggestions, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 08:35 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
Well, let's open the conversation, and by that I mean, what exactly do you mean by less conservative? Are you talking about same sex partner relationships? Are you talking abour more liberal politics? Use of birth control? As a former Roman Catholic, you could be refering to a whole host of topics, not the least of which would be the abortion issue.

That being said, my family has found the Catholic church not to be quite the right fit for us. The hubby and I were both raised Roman Catholic and we were married in that faith, however as we have grown, and have a child of our own, and have become more discerning in our adult faith - we have found the Episcopal faith (historically, the first branch off the Roman Catholics more or less - also known as the Church of England loosely...I am sure someone can correct me in the history). Anyway, they follow the Apostolic line in church leadership, follow a very similar doctrine, are less socially conservative - but still conservative enough for me, the service is very similar in many ways that we feel quite comfortable with it, and have found it quite a good fit for us in adulthood. Our church here in Oviedo is a church plant that was seeded from a nice church there in Winter Park called All Saint's Episcopal if you wanted to try it out for size!

If you had specific questions, about the faith or the church, feel free to PM me if you like!! Happy Easter!! The Lord is Risen Indeed! Alleluia!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the reply. I thought about going into all of the issues you raise...but really it's something of a laundry list, and I would probably end up giving you all my life story in the process

While I don't agree with the Church on many, many issues, I'm really not interested in leaving for another denomination. I was born and raised Catholic, and have long found that as long as I can find a parish that doesn't actively promote or organize around being anti-contraception, anti-choice, anti-gay marriage, I've found that I still very much get what I need from the Church.

That said, I've previously been living in more left-leaning areas of the country, where it wasn't difficult to find a parish whose community outreach wasn't focused on the above issues.

Anybody else? Suggestions very much welcome!

PS - The Episcopal Church is the American branch of the Anglican Church (Church of England), so in some ways it's an offshoot of one of the earlier Protestant denominations. For a really 'traditional' Catholic service that's not actually Catholic, nothing beats a High Church Anglican service!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJChris View Post
PS - The Episcopal Church is the American branch of the Anglican Church (Church of England), so in some ways it's an offshoot of one of the earlier Protestant denominations. For a really 'traditional' Catholic service that's not actually Catholic, nothing beats a High Church Anglican service!
This says it much better than I did It's exactly right! So, I can't really speak to the Catholic churches down here then so I will leave that to others. I hope you find what you are seeking, and if you you can not, and wish to persue this as another avenue in the future...feel free to message me up! Coming from PA, I find the churches in general down 'south' here to much more conservative...not less, but hopefully you will find one anyway! Congregations don't always reflect the 'higher ups' thank goodness!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:13 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
St Mary's in WP is nice.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
St Mary's in WP is nice.
Their website is nice and it looks like a lovely building, but the church bulletin makes it clear that the parish actively organizes anti-choice activities, which really turns me off. Any other suggestions?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJChris View Post
Their website is nice and it looks like a lovely building, but the church bulletin makes it clear that the parish actively organizes anti-choice activities, which really turns me off. Any other suggestions?
Yep, you are definitely on target. It is annoying how hard they push pro-life there...they dedicated a whole hour to it once, urging everyone to sign a petition and people were clapping at the end. Not going back. The Catholic Church in Maitland (technically Altamonte) St. Mary Magdalen is more progressive I believe, but the folk music was agitating at the 6 PM mass (tambourine, video screen w/lyrics, etc). Maybe the morning/noon masses have classical.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:49 PM

Not to be rude, but you should probably be examining your reasons and beliefs...and seeking a Church in which you can support and be supported in your faith and what you believe...I find it very difficult to go to a church , and get what I need, when I know I don't believe what everyone else does, and have to keep secret how I really feel and believe. Just a thought....

And, actually the Episcopal may not be the true fit for you either, as many of those are pro life, they just don't promote rallies and such. They are however, very tolerant of various lifestyles and political opinions - whereas Roman Catholic is not so much. (not critiquing...just saying...)

I realize where you are coming from (as a reformed roman cath. myself). It is tough realizing, hey....I don't really buy into this, or that, but I really like the comfortable fit of the service I am used to, etc. But that comfort won't buy you salvation, you know.... Only true Faith, belief and living the Word (however you find that , come to that , and believe that to be true) will do that for you. <3

Old 04-23-2010, 07:53 AM

711 posts, read 681,555 times
Believe it or not, but the seat of the diocese, St. James Cathedral in downtown Orlando, may be what you're looking for. I've attended services there and never seen the push for rallies and protests in front of abortion clinics. Obviously, the church is pro-life, but the priests seem to take a much broader look at what that means instead of harping on abortion.

The choir is really good, and there's not a folk guitar in sight. Only an organ, piano, flute and violin accompany the singing. The choir takes a break during the summer since so many people are traveling and such during that time.

The cathedral itself is undergoing a $10M renovation that will be completed by next January. Services are currently being held in the social hall. They just started holding overflow services at St. James Cathedral School four blocks away across from Lake Eola.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Parrotrosie: yes, and your comments on keeping feelings hidden in church are why I'm looking for a Catholic parish that doesn't push an agenda I don't believe in. Your suggestion that I don't understand my own spiritual needs is a real over-reaction a simple request for help parish-shopping in a new city. And it IS rude. As you clearly know, otherwise you wouldn't have started with "Not to be rude."

CParker and Pete C - thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando