Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 PM

8 posts, read 39,607 times

Advertisements

Sorry if I'm doing this wrong - I'm new here

I am a married mom in my late 20's with two young girls (an infant and a 1st grader). Hubby is transferring to Full Sail at the end of June and we will be moving from New York to the Orlando area. I am currently a SAHM and hubby, like I said, will be working at Full Sail.

We are looking into nice apartment complexes and we are having a hard time finding a nice one to rent from because we don't know what area's are safe.

Basically, we need to be somewhere safe, near stores/restaurants and in a good school district. We don't want to move somewhere secluded because we're from a busy area and it would be a culture-shock. Since we don't know the area well, the names of good apartment complexes would be very helpful! We need at least 2 bedrooms, at least 1250 sq. ft. and preferrably under $1200 dollars, please.

Some of the places we are considering are:

The Parks at Hunter Creek
3000 National Park Drive
Orlando, FL 32837

Wisper Palms
13308 Wisper Palms Way
Orlando, FL 32828

Barrington Place
2785 Chaddsford Circle
Oviedo, FL 32765

and also areas in Lake Mary, Winter Springs, Winter Park and Ocoee.
Any suggestions would be very helpful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 12:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
I'd steer clear of Ocoee. There is a very teensy bit that's nice, the rest is just short of a sewer.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:50 PM

13 posts, read 50,407 times
I live at The Berkshires At Winter Park. It is within walking distance to Full Sail. So far I really like it. I haven't had any problems out here at all. My kids play outside all the time even. They go to Aloma Elementary and they love it there.

The rent is pretty cheap too. I rent a 3 bedroom for like 850 a month. The parking is pretty good. It has 3 swimming pools and a small gym. The tennis court is alright. Needs to be worked on a little though. The bedrooms in my apartment is great sizes too. 3 bedrooms even come with stackable washer and dryers.

Any problems with my apartment has been dealt with fast and efficently. Friendly Staff.

Overall it is pretty quiet to me and close to everything.

Berkshire (http://www.berkshireapartments.com/realpage/realpage.aspx?prpURL=berkshiresatwinterpark - broken link)

There is the link if you wanna check it out.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:34 AM

53 posts, read 108,456 times
Hello. I am a fellow Northern, from a big city, and I thought I'd write you a letter.

First, do not believe anyone who is from Florida. They are full of *&*. Or, have no idea of how we live up north & talk big on how great it is down here. This is a poor state. Looks great on the outside, but nasty on the inside.

I also hope you are realizing that you are entering one of the WORSE states since the so-called 'recession.' There is lots of cons here, and legal things to nail you to the cross. READ FINE PRINTS! NEVER sign a 55 page lease. And to give you an idea...my bank account was taken for fraud 5 times so far in 1 1/2 years.

Advise on jobs: They are firing lots of people & jobs are sparse. Unless your husband is truely set with a good salary, (like $75,000 plus benefits) & NO MERE IDEA OF BEING FIRED, do not come. I've met families who moved due to one getting a job here, only to get fired and the spouse is making very little to make ends meet. It is a constant storyline here. Teachers, professional people, etc.

Forida people will NOT tell you this. My son's own teacher, is now living with her mother. They lost everything. Family income? $22,000 per year. I have another friend - same thing. Another who went and got certified - no job for over 1 year. So, unless you like Disney for $7.50 per hour...make sure you are locked in.

Expenses: Let me give you your first bill: Tags for your cars are $400.00 each. Not including other fees. And to open a bank account, you have to get your FL driver license. And if you do not get your tags after the DLs, then you can get ticketed. You have only 6 weeks. So, 2 cars are $800.00 off the bat.

There is NO CULTURE HERE. I know exactly what you are talking about. Here is your culture: Walmart & a whole lot of pork. Pork here & there.

Northerners constantly want good food. I have to drive 1 hour for it; called international foods, owned by an Iranian.

Schools are behind here. Kids cut themselves in schools, called 'emos,' (emotional) - new thing. I do not believe any other mother on how good their schools are. Florida school system is behind completely.

Oh, you will like it for the first 6 months, then it wears real thin & that is if you were not fired or let go from employment. If they PROMISE YOU THE STARS....they are just lying.

We have been here for 1 1/2 years, and are just waiting to move out of here. Most people I have met, have moved.

Only thing good, is weather.

I currently live in Remington. We rent a house in a cul-de-sac. There are tons of foreclosed and rental properties here. It is not the best area, but where is here? Except STAY away from Pine Hills. I believe all of Orlando is pretty much the same, but where I am, it is far from your job.

I would advise you find a house to rent. You can easily find one for 1100 per month. Believe me, you'll feel better in the end, hold parties, kids can play outside, etc. Just drive and you will find them empty. Call the number & negotiate. Make sure you keep tabs on the house for an unexpected foreclosure of owner, by going onto the court websites. I still do it 1 a month.

We had a brief time of fun here, but like I stated, it will not last. I see people suffering everyday.
Those who don't, live in la-la land.

I truely wish you the best...

Old 04-11-2010, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,960 times
we will be relocating to orlando also. We saw a house on Lakeville Rd we love but wasn't sure if the area is safe we have a 9 year old boy. real estate agent wont say much it's in the 38218 zip code

Old 04-11-2010, 11:54 AM

19 posts, read 113,295 times
Wisper Palms might be a good location, IMHO, for what you are looking for. I'm not sure what elementary school that is zoned for, but I imagine it would be either Stone Lakes Elementary or Avalon Elementary, both of which are good.

I am also not a fan of Ocoee.

Good luck to you!

Edited to add: You may also want to try Knightsbridge Apartments: http://www.knightsbridgeapartmenthomes.com/
This is near Wisper Palms and is also nice.

Last edited by keek29; 04-11-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 12:36 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,179,752 times
Start with Winter Park. Then check out Baldwin Park. There are alot, a whole lot of homes, condo's in Baldwin Park that are up for rent now. The big advantage of Baldwin Park is the schools are both brand new and within walking distance, very nice area, bank, Publix, CVS, all within walking distance. Full Sail is
not a long way to drive..very quiet area.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:25 PM

18 posts, read 44,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Start with Winter Park. Then check out Baldwin Park. There are alot, a whole lot of homes, condo's in Baldwin Park that are up for rent now. The big advantage of Baldwin Park is the schools are both brand new and within walking distance, very nice area, bank, Publix, CVS, all within walking distance. Full Sail is
not a long way to drive..very quiet area.

I agree Baldwin Park in very nice, you may need to go smaller, but then again you will be much happier in the long run with schools and a safe place for your family.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:28 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
You need a place that is CLOSE to where your working because the traffic here is awful. If your husband has to drive very far he won't have much time to see his kids in the evening.

I too would not move to Ocoee, it has a reputation that is sort of notorious if you are a native.
I would NEVER send my kids to school in an area like that. I know yours are young but think about when the time comes that they will be in school.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haulinmover View Post
Hello. I am a fellow Northern, from a big city, and I thought I'd write you a letter.

First, do not believe anyone who is from Florida. They are full of *&*. Or, have no idea of how we live up north & talk big on how great it is down here. This is a poor state. Looks great on the outside, but nasty on the inside.

I also hope you are realizing that you are entering one of the WORSE states since the so-called 'recession.' There is lots of cons here, and legal things to nail you to the cross. READ FINE PRINTS! NEVER sign a 55 page lease. And to give you an idea...my bank account was taken for fraud 5 times so far in 1 1/2 years.

Advise on jobs: They are firing lots of people & jobs are sparse. Unless your husband is truely set with a good salary, (like $75,000 plus benefits) & NO MERE IDEA OF BEING FIRED, do not come. I've met families who moved due to one getting a job here, only to get fired and the spouse is making very little to make ends meet. It is a constant storyline here. Teachers, professional people, etc.

Forida people will NOT tell you this. My son's own teacher, is now living with her mother. They lost everything. Family income? $22,000 per year. I have another friend - same thing. Another who went and got certified - no job for over 1 year. So, unless you like Disney for $7.50 per hour...make sure you are locked in.

Expenses: Let me give you your first bill: Tags for your cars are $400.00 each. Not including other fees. And to open a bank account, you have to get your FL driver license. And if you do not get your tags after the DLs, then you can get ticketed. You have only 6 weeks. So, 2 cars are $800.00 off the bat.

There is NO CULTURE HERE. I know exactly what you are talking about. Here is your culture: Walmart & a whole lot of pork. Pork here & there.

Northerners constantly want good food. I have to drive 1 hour for it; called international foods, owned by an Iranian.

Schools are behind here. Kids cut themselves in schools, called 'emos,' (emotional) - new thing. I do not believe any other mother on how good their schools are. Florida school system is behind completely.

Oh, you will like it for the first 6 months, then it wears real thin & that is if you were not fired or let go from employment. If they PROMISE YOU THE STARS....they are just lying.

We have been here for 1 1/2 years, and are just waiting to move out of here. Most people I have met, have moved.

Only thing good, is weather.

I currently live in Remington. We rent a house in a cul-de-sac. There are tons of foreclosed and rental properties here. It is not the best area, but where is here? Except STAY away from Pine Hills. I believe all of Orlando is pretty much the same, but where I am, it is far from your job.

I would advise you find a house to rent. You can easily find one for 1100 per month. Believe me, you'll feel better in the end, hold parties, kids can play outside, etc. Just drive and you will find them empty. Call the number & negotiate. Make sure you keep tabs on the house for an unexpected foreclosure of owner, by going onto the court websites. I still do it 1 a month.

We had a brief time of fun here, but like I stated, it will not last. I see people suffering everyday.
Those who don't, live in la-la land.

I truely wish you the best...
Wow. Let's see... mass layoff's, Check. In over half the country. Emo kids cutting themselves, check. It was a problem when we lived in NJ over five years ago.

We have no where near the foreclosure levels you speak of. My husband and I both have good jobs making good money, neither of us is making $22K or anything near that. Heck our 24 year old son made more than that last year.

Good food? There's plenty. And I don't eat pork. Nor do I shop in Wal-Mart. In fact every store I shopped in up north is also here.

I've never had a problem with my bank account or any other types of fraud since I moved here almost five years ago. In fact when my identity was stolen, it happened up north about seven years ago. Hmmm... And anyone not bright enough to read a contract before they sign it--well, a fool and their money are soon parted.

This area is not for everyone, but it's not what you are making it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando