Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 04:31 AM

2 posts, read 16,738 times

Advertisements

My Family and i are coming to Florida in May for the first time, can any one give me the does and dont's please,

We are Staying at The Continental Plaza hotel on International Drive, and are doing the tourist stuff, Disney, universal, Sea world and Discovery cove, Can any one give me advice on how to get to Discovery Cove for 8am??? Taxi's etc.
We are not hiring a car, i am pretty scared of driving out in the US, we live in a little English village, most of our roads you can only get one car down at a time, sometimes the hedge row hits both wing mirrors, so i don't fancy the 4 lanes busy busy thing.!!!!
We do have free shuttle service to and from the hotel, and i have read a bit about i-ride. but any other tips would be great Thank you !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Do you use the free I-Drive trolley as it will get you just about anywhere on I-drive. However learn the schedule well first.

Do visit the Prime outlet on the north end of I-Drive or the Premium outlet on the south end, very good shopping at good prices.

Do try the Alehouse on I-drive for a taste of what American sportsbars are all about. Not quite an English pub, but I for one feel Alehouse is one of the most underrrated chains around and I like that it is a Florida bar.

Do try to visit downtown Orlando if you get a chance. Take a cab up from I-drive. When getting a cab back, have one of the local restaurants call you a cab, it is not easy to simply wave one down in downtown other than late at night.

Do not forget the sunscreen. No offense and I don't know your personal situation but I've seen far to many Brits walking around red as lobsters. It hurts me to see them that burnt.

Do not forget to look before you cross, people here are crazy drivers and will run you down!

Do not buy overpriced Disney merchandise on Disney property. Head to one of the local malls and try the Disney store for more reasonably priced souvenirs.

If you have children, Do not miss out on the T-Rex restaurant in downtown Disney. Good food and great atmosphere for kids.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
You've gotten some great tips from CranesRooster.

I'm going to lead you astray.... go to Hotels and Vacation Reviews - TripAdvisor.
The people there are experts on the tourist area of Orlando.

Welcome and I hope you have a great time.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:07 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Just remember to tip all your service people, hotel, bartender, waiter, drivers, etc. well. Too many Brits don't know how to tip $$$$$ If you don't tip, don't expect great service, and prepare to be shunned.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Just remember to tip all your service people, hotel, bartender, waiter, drivers, etc. well. Too many Brits don't know how to tip $$$$$ If you don't tip, don't expect great service, and prepare to be shunned.
Very true, you should tip the server atleast 15% of the total bill.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:30 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times
Seriously if you go to the Florida Mall at all you should go out of your way to visit the Coliseum of Comics on S. OBT, its one of Orlando's 3 Comic Book Stores and certainly worth checking out as a real piece of American culture you can't find anywhere else.

Go to Wet N' Wild, but as Crane said where that sunscreen. In fact wear it even if you're not at a water park.

Make a reservation at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort's restaurant called Narcossee for the day you're going to be at Disney. Leave the park early and go there. You can relax by the pool, play in the arcade if there's kids, have a great dinner, and then it has the best view of the Laser Light Show and Fireworks from anywhere in the entire Disney property. As Brits you might also like the huge beers glasses available.

If you go to Animal Kingdom go to the smaller new part for lunch and there's a restaurant that serves great food at ground level next to the animals. Much closer than anything in the older, larger part of the resort.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 12,776 times
We have been holidaying in Florida for years but have always stayed in a villa and used a hire car. Like you we were vary wary at first but found the road system very easy to navigate. Roads are much wider and straighter and petrol is so cheap and cars are usually automatic and relatively new. We found that a car is needed because there is so much more to Florida than I-drive.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:58 AM

196 posts, read 817,573 times
I agree with allyg123, Orlando is spread out and a car is a must. It is easy and cheap to hire/drive around and you will have a lot of freedom in moving around. There is a lot more to see and do than I-drive (maybe a day trip to the beach?)The 2 outlet malls mentioned earlier are great, also visit the mall at millenia.
Do not buy your electronics for this trip from the UK! they are much cheaper in the US, try best buy or walmart. Visit the disney water parks, much cleaner than wet and wild.

Above all DO NOT DO THE DISNEY DEATH MARCH, pace yourselves with shopping days in between the parks and have fun!

Old 04-10-2010, 07:23 PM

13 posts, read 50,365 times
DO make sure you have plenty of Quarters if you plan on hitting up the 408. Those Tolls are bastards (Pardon my language!) I try to find alternate routes around it.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:21 AM

2 posts, read 16,738 times
Thank you everyone for your help and advice!!!
Sun cream is already packed!! we are not a family of lobsters !! LOL
Not long now!!! we are all rather excited!!!!
thanks again!! xx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: