Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,347,776 times

Advertisements

I have previously been concentrating on surrounding towns of Orlando as possible future places to move to in the next year or so since I've heard so many negatives about Orlando itself. However, after looking a bit into the Lake Nona area, it seems like a great area. The elementary school (and I have an elementary school aged son) looks amazing! https://www.ocps.net/lc/southeast/em...s/default.aspx

My husband installs/services nursecall systems for a living and with the Lake Nona medical city and new V.A. center being built I've heard about, it sounds like an ideal place for us to look (we would just have to figure out where he would need to start applying for positions).

We would most likely be renting an apartment when we first got down there (front runner looks like Legends at Lake Nona unless someone else has any suggestions - we'd also be open to renting a smaller private house or townhouse).

I've done searches on Lake Nona area on here and have come up with a few threads. Anyone care to add anything else? Crime/safety, ease of getting to grocery stores, dining, themeparks, etc.?

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM

129 posts, read 246,434 times
I like the Lake Nona area.
It is low crime, good schools. This year they opened the new high school.
The grocery store is on Narcoossee about a minute from 417(toll road).
In that same center they have a couple of hairstylists, eye doctor, pediatrician,vet, gas stations, mc donalds, outback, an italian restaurant ......
Yet, it is a drive from alot of things, which I'm sure you see on the map. I have heard that this area was the next area to be built up back before the housing crash and things got halted but they are starting to build again. New sub-divisions are popping up, talk of more shopping coming in, if this happened I would love this area.
Getting to Disney would be using 417 (well, you don't have to use this but it would take a whole long time if you didn't) and it's a nice, easy, low traffic drive. It would take about 25-30.
You would also be about 20 minutes from Waterford Lakes Shopping Center, which is awesome.
A little closer to the Cocoa Beach than most....
We moved here not wanting to be to far from Disney and we are about 25 minutes away. I am glad we didn't go any farther because I don't think we would go to Disney near as much as we do if we were much further away, it's hard to justify driving 45 minutes to eat at O'hana's
Anyways, good luck in your search, I know it's tough finding the area that's perfect for you.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the input!

Quote:
it's hard to justify driving 45 minutes to eat at O'hana's
We drove 5 hours to DC one time just to eat at Rainforest Cafe, and being that 'Ohana is one of our favorite restaurants onsite, that would be nothing for us.

At any rate, hope to visit the Lake Nona area (among others) when we're back in July.

Thanks again!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:18 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Thanks for the input!

We drove 5 hours to DC one time just to eat at Rainforest Cafe, and being that 'Ohana is one of our favorite restaurants onsite, that would be nothing for us.

At any rate, hope to visit the Lake Nona area (among others) when we're back in July.

Thanks again!
well then you're in luck, there are two rainforest cafes in Disney. One in downtown Disney and one in the animal kingdom park.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Yeah, it's great!...don't forget T-Rex cafe now in DTD (just there Easter weekend)

Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 PM

601 posts, read 460,018 times
I have lived in Legends Lake Nona for 2 1/2 years and love it. I love the whole area. With easy access to 528 and 417, getting around town is rarely a problem. I definetly recommend it

Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 AM

Thanks for your post! Share more if you can!

Old 12-03-2010, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 10,572 times
We live in the Enclave at Moss Park which is located a short distance everything in Lake Nona. The single family homes are very affordable to rent and there's many homes that are nicer than the apartments that area all rentals. As people have stated, we're about a half hour to many of the attractions and downtown Orlando. Now that the new entrance and exits to the 417 are open, it's even faster to get where you need to go.
Moss Park Elementary is where our 8 yr old attends and the middle school and new high school is about 10 minutes away. The main shopping center is about 3 miles away with pretty much everything you would need - shopping, restaurants, urgent care and family practitioners, eye, dentist, and Walmart is about another ten to 15 minutes away, as there's still road construction going on.
If you're interested in the new Lake Nona Medical Center I've written about the jobs that are coming up as well as the potential for Lake Nona as a community - here: Moderator cut: no promoting your own website
Let me know what you think.
~@mlehua

Last edited by Granny Sue; 12-04-2010 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: promoting personal websites not allowed

Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 PM

86 posts, read 231,713 times
Do your homework on future growth. Have heard twice but trying to verify info (was from real estate community) that 90 thousand homes in se Orlando and west orange county will be built over the next few years. Will Lake Nona be the next overcrowded Waterford Lakes? Not sure but jsut something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando