Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:53 PM

17 posts, read 43,930 times

Advertisements

Wow. Such great info! Thanks especially, cparker, for the very informative post! College Park sounds wonderful We're looking hard there for something in our price range.

Thank you all so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 AM

711 posts, read 683,080 times
Where are you moving from? Orlando is really conservative city compared to other cities with crunchy reps like Austin or Berkley. I've also lived in Atlanta, Chapel Hill, N.C., New York, and D.C. Orlando leaves a lot to be desired, but you can make it work for you.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
Where are you moving from? Orlando is really conservative city compared to other cities with crunchy reps like Austin or Berkley. I've also lived in Atlanta, Chapel Hill, N.C., New York, and D.C. Orlando leaves a lot to be desired, but you can make it work for you.
I'm glad I moved from Atlanta. The traffic is completely out of control there and it is as sprawling as any city in Florida. I was just up there this week, and the burbs are so far apart if you want to visit someone it can take an hour to get there. Atlanta is definitely more crunchy and offers much more in terms of interesting dining, though, I will give it that. You are comparing some 5 million+ cities to a 2 million city so obviously they will have more in terms of culture. However, for a city that is only a few decades old in terms of urban development, Orlando has come a long way and should still have a bright future. Personally, I really like the downtown here even though it is small.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:20 AM

711 posts, read 683,080 times
Orlando's downtown is about the best you can get in Florida because even with the interstate cutting through, the historic neighborhoods were preserved. The physical footprint of downtown is actually kinda large. It's just not built out with a lot of high rises (if only they would lift the unofficial height limit). It kinda reminds me of Midtown Atlanta with Orange Avenue serving as the spine like Peachtree Street in Atlanta.

I'd hate to compare Orlando to Atlanta, but I usually tell people who barely know anything beyond International Drive that Orlando is at the point Atlanta was in the 70's and 80's when the city had to decide that it wanted to grow up and play with the big boys. Of course, that would require us to put away the toys in the tourist corridor and lure some Fortune 500 companies with good jobs here.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:48 PM

17 posts, read 43,930 times
I'm moving from Harrisonburg, in the Shenandoah Valley. Very small town, pretty conservative, but very green and "hippy" So basically, College Park sounds great so far. It's turning out to be a little hard to find something in our price range, but we're still looking and have a few leads...

Thank you all for your advice!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:17 PM

10 posts, read 11,522 times
I'm moving from Atlanta and love the crunch thanks to the op for this thread. I do find some of the Atlanta comments interesting. I agree with most, but i only like east Atlanta and grant park mostly. Don't think that will happen in Orlando. ill adapt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando