Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite grocery store in Orlando
Publix 24 66.67%
Winn-Dixie 0 0%
Super Wal-Mart 1 2.78%
Super Target 2 5.56%
Whole Foods 4 11.11%
Sedano's 2 5.56%
Other (please state which one) 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I have been to the Sedano's at South OBT and 417 South. It looks almost exactly like the old Albertson's did. There has not been much change, and even in spite of an emphasis on latin foods, a lot of what they sell is also sold at the Publix i work at 2 miles away

The place is always packed though, but I get a bad vibe there. I am no racist I hate all people equally (sarcasm ) But seriously I do not discriminate. But the few times I have gone there, I have received a lot of dirty looks from people shopping there, and I use the spanish that I do know when I speak to the cashiers but when they find out I am American (my pronunciation and usage isnt perfect) I get the same dirty looks that I do from other customers

Sedano's is expensive as well. Im glad you guys think Publix has fair prices considering how many customers I have who say they will shop at Sedano's from now on, that Publix stinks and that we dont EVER have ANYTHING they want

We sell Valentini Ice Cream, which is a latin brand based in Miami, for $4.69 a 1/2 gallon at Publix, Sedano's sells the same product in the same size container for $5.89

Where would you rather shop?
Why speak Spanish at Sedanos, I never been there before cause there are none near me but i read that the store targets Latin English speaking Americans who were born here in the US. The websites in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 04:38 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Why speak Spanish at Sedanos, I never been there before cause there are none near me but i read that the store targets Latin English speaking Americans who were born here in the US. The websites in English.
I only spoke Spanish because nobody working at Sedano's could speak English, including the store manager. Like I said GLS I am NOT racist, but I feel very unwelcome wehn I go there, which isnt all that often in the first place

Old 04-19-2010, 04:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Navarro's is to Albertson as Sedano's is to Publix.

Even in Miami there is a greater presence of Publix than any other Grocery Store and thats not going to change overnight. Could it eventually? Sure. But 3 stores opening does not equal the end of Publix.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
I usually shop the sales, so depending on the week, I will visit 2-3 stores in a grocery trip. (Before anyone give me the "your making up your savings in gas" line, the stores are right next to each other). However, if I had the ability to shop exclusively at one store, it would probably be Publix. If I lived on the SW side of town, I'd shop at that Conroy-Windermere Albertson's. It was so pretty. It kind of justified the exorbitant everyday prices on their items that I couldn't figure out when shopping at the former Curry Ford/436 store or the Orange/Michigan store.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
I have been to the Sedano's at South OBT and 417 South. It looks almost exactly like the old Albertson's did. There has not been much change, and even in spite of an emphasis on latin foods, a lot of what they sell is also sold at the Publix i work at 2 miles away

The place is always packed though, but I get a bad vibe there. I am no racist I hate all people equally (sarcasm ) But seriously I do not discriminate. But the few times I have gone there, I have received a lot of dirty looks from people shopping there, and I use the spanish that I do know when I speak to the cashiers but when they find out I am American (my pronunciation and usage isnt perfect) I get the same dirty looks that I do from other customers

Sedano's is expensive as well. Im glad you guys think Publix has fair prices considering how many customers I have who say they will shop at Sedano's from now on, that Publix stinks and that we dont EVER have ANYTHING they want

We sell Valentini Ice Cream, which is a latin brand based in Miami, for $4.69 a 1/2 gallon at Publix, Sedano's sells the same product in the same size container for $5.89

Where would you rather shop?

Eff that. Why do you try to speak spanish to them? This is our country bro, make them speak English to you or else were just allowing this BS to become common place.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:51 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
I have been to the Sedano's at South OBT and 417 South.

You don't have to hispanic to get that "bad" vibe @ Sedanos.

Sedanos is consider low class. Really low class. Most Latinos wouldn't even admit they shop there unless they came from Cuba less than a year ago. English is unheard of in Sedanos.

It's a great place though if you ever need water for a hurricane warning as everybody down here shops at Publix and they always ran out of water first.

I do shop there like once a year during Christmas for ethnic food and I dread that yearly visit.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post

Sedanos is consider low class. Really low class. Most Latinos wouldn't even admit they shop there unless they came from Cuba less than a year ago. English is unheard of in Sedanos.

It's a great place though if you ever need water for a hurricane warning as everybody down here shops at Publix and they always ran out of water first.

I do shop there like once a year during Christmas for ethnic food and I dread that yearly visit.
I wish Orlando had Don Pan's - mmmm cheesy buttery Cuban goodness. Thank god thats not on every street corner or America would have serious health issues. Wait what? My heart says no but my tastebuds say yes.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Eff that. Why do you try to speak spanish to them? This is our country bro, make them speak English to you or else were just allowing this BS to become common place.
agreed

Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I have no problem with people speaking spanish. But if somebody does not speak english I try to communicate in Spanish as best I can. I deal with so many hispanic customers at Publix and I eventually picked up on some spanish by some of my coworkers. I enjoy learning another language, and my customers who do not speak much english appreciate it as well

I do agree anybody who comes to America should learn English, but I want to become more skilled in Spanish and I feel that going to Sedano's is good practice

Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post

I agree with this,some Sedano's are better than others,but the one closest to me in Miami is total hell,it's a decent suburban area in Miami but it still draws in everyone who recently arrived from another country.What I find bizarre is the few times a year I do go in there I find many things that I get in Publix to be more expensive at Sedano's.Yes there will be some deals in meats and some other items but many more are more expensive.Publix also has those buy one get one free deals that you won't see at Sedano's,so that leads me to wonder is it basically a myth that Sedano's is less expensive so that brings in the immigrant population,cause many times I go into Publix and with their BOGO I save as much as $40 a trip.Now as you stated for Christmas items like turron they are cheaper than Publix,but Publix is still #1 in Miami,there's one like every twenty blocks,right now I think I have 6-7 that I could get to in 15 minutes or less,my closest one is a 2 minute drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando