Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM

39 posts, read 182,623 times

Advertisements

My Family and I are looking to move to Florida and we have been researching safe cities. We have heard many stories about how the crime in Florida is really bad. Is that really true or is it like any other big city? We are looking at central Florida areas and have been told that Windermere is a great place to live but is really close to Orlando. Does anyone have any opinions on Windermere? We went to see a home in the Thornhill community and it seems like a very small, quiet place to live! Im Just afraid of Orlando be very close! Am I overreacting??? If anyone has opinions on Windermere and the way of life there would greatly be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 06:14 PM

331 posts, read 1,048,206 times
Orlando and Central Florida in general is safe. Of course, like every major city, there are areas which you would want to avoid. Windermere is not one of those areas, it is a very safe, family oriented community. I live in the Windermere/Winter Garden area and would recommend it to a family.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:43 PM

Thank you, Im glad to hear it is a great place to live! It's nice to hear some positives.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:25 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,481,447 times
Windermere is a beautiful place and very safe. Most of Orlando is safe, anyway. A lot of people love to exaggerate the crime, which is mostly concentrated to a few hot spots that can be easily avoided.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 PM

793 posts, read 2,515,904 times
When out of area buyers want me to recommend areas I say Lake Mary, Winter Springs, Lake Nona, Horizon West zoned area of Orange County which is the back side of Disney and Windermere. There are other great areas but these seem to offer answers to buyers questions.

Hope this helps,

Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Windermere is a beautiful place and very safe. Most of Orlando is safe, anyway. A lot of people love to exaggerate the crime, which is mostly concentrated to a few hot spots that can be easily avoided.
Brinkofsunshine thank you so much! I was really hoping that all the crime talk was exaggerated! Geez... if it wasn't how would anyone live there. lol! Thanks for your input, It is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
When out of area buyers want me to recommend areas I say Lake Mary, Winter Springs, Lake Nona, Horizon West zoned area of Orange County which is the back side of Disney and Windermere. There are other great areas but these seem to offer answers to buyers questions.

Hope this helps,
Thanks Broker Dave that does help. You are not the only one that has mentioned Lake Mary so I will put that on my list to check out. Im hearing alot of people say that there is a new Windermere and that it is really not considered windermere. Is this true? The area that I have been looking at is off of 535 and is across from the condos of lakeside at lakes of winderemere. How is this area?
Thanks for your time

Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 16,763 times
This is all great information glad i found this discussion as we are looking to relocate in the Windermere area sometime this year too. We have to young children and wondering if anyone had insight to the public schools in the area. We heard that elementary and middle schools are good but high school is where there are a lot of issues. any thoughts as we plan to stay for a long period of time so elementary - high school. All of your insights would be greatly appreciated! thank you thank you!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:28 AM

126 posts, read 708,493 times
Windermere is very safe and very expensive! Not that good housing deals can't be found, because they can! Deals are actually abundant right now. Crime is not any worse than any other big city..It is highly exaggerated. Make the move! You will LOVE it. Areas to look into: Dr Philips, Windermere, Winter Park, Celebration etc. Definitely stay away from: Apopka, Ocoee, Winter Garden.

If you don't mind a commute, about 25-30 miles, Clermont, FL is a nice small town!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:08 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,166,498 times
The only thing to worry about in Windermere is your speed on the village streets. The cops are renowned for writing tickets for a few mph over the speed limit. I received a ticket about 10 years ago for going 33 mph in 30 mph zone. Other than that, a beautiful little town ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando