Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,769 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating from Puerto Rico to Orlando because of the crime here. I know, too much puertorricans and foreing people already there, but I need to know the truth. Is the crime there really bad? Those of you who've lived in PR, does it compare and where is it worse? I have 2 small children and I'm looking to move to a nice suburb that is safe and family oriented. Need your info, please.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:52 PM

18 posts, read 96,286 times
Just go to the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper website and see for yourself.
7 people were shot yesterday, last week 2 cops were shot. 2 people that
were tourists visiting were held at gunpoint, taken to an ATM machine robbed
and severely beaten. Several weeks ago a german couple were visiting and
were robbed, beaten and the woman was sexually assualted. The Guardian
Angels have come in from New York, if that tells you anything. Supposedly
the FBI and the ATF are coming in to clean up the mess. Oh, and I forgot
there are home invasions almost everyday. It's really sad. Living in the
suburbs like Lake Mary or Sanford would be your best bet, expensive, yet
beautiful and much safer areas to reside.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:21 PM

9 posts, read 41,094 times
Would have to agree with Fishingirl on that. Crime has skyrocketed in the Orlando area and it is spreading to other central Florida areas. It sad to say that you can't even watch the news at night because of all the crime. The sad part is if they don't get a handle on it now the foreign travel will dry up and decimate the kingdom of the mouse and other theme parks. Miami expierenced this in the 80's when several tourists were killed and countries placed travel advisories. I grew up here since the early 60's and I am to the point of moving out of state.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 AM

18 posts, read 96,286 times
Default To Florida_Gone

I was checking the forum today to see if anyone else had anything to chime
in and you are exactly right. It's ridiculous. I told my husband the other night
before 7 people got shot that it's going to take US Government to send in
the Army to clean it up. I do love Florida and I know every city in the country has got issues, but when a city I live nearby makes it on the National
News as one of the highest, most out of control crime areas in the country,
then I think that's it's high time for government action if the State doesn't
want to get involved. Citizens can only do so much to defend themselves.
These thugs don't even care if it's a cop they're shooting at. If it was me
I'd go in and Nuke those neighborhoods and send a message loud and clear
to those low life doping gangsta's.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:46 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
The Orlando area is FILLED with crime! I'm in Port Orange (just south of Daytona Beach), and it's very safe here. But my news is out of Orlando and everyday it's just filled with shootings, robberies, murder, etc. Loads of crime!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:22 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
crime is bad in orlando, and there are so many rude ppl here. i am pretty much through with orlando to be honest with you. i am headed to northern fla hopefully --- atleast i hear that there are good ppl up there and more of what i am looking for.

being from pr, you will feel right at home. i live in a nice neighborhood, houses priced from 300k - 400k-plus, and i am a minority. mostly ny-ricans (pr-->ny-->fl).

Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
[quote]Investigators said a fight between several teens at Club Crunk located on Orange Blossom Trail spilled over to a nearby gas station./QUOTE]

Ok let's talk this one out. Past midnight, Orange Blossom Trail and CLUB CRUNK??? Exactly where I'd expect something like this to happen and exactly the place I wouldn't be.

I have to ask all of you "chicken-littles" in Orlando - have you actually witnessed any crime or been in a situation that made you scared? Honestly, no exaggerations....have you? How does all the drug related crime affect you? If you live on OBT - then why do you? Do you drive through Parramore at night? If so, why? People in Metrowest - move. The area is bad. But how does this affect someone living in Lake Mary driving to work in Winter Park? How does it affect someone in a highrise in Thornton Park driving to John Young for work?

It's easy to persuade yourself things are terrible when you aren't happy. It makes it easier to reason or justify your thoughts on a city. Crime is pretty bad here, but it's NOTHING like the above posts. Nothing at all.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:08 PM

11 posts, read 42,438 times
Where is OBT, Parramore and Metro West?

Old 06-12-2007, 04:25 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
Quote:
Where is OBT, Parramore and Metro West?

OBT - Orange Blossom Trail, is US 441, which runs basically North - South through Orlando. The part to be avoided is generally that part which is about 4 miles south of Downtown to about two miles North of Downtown. None of 441 running through Orlando is all that great, but it's the 3-6 mile streach that's pretty trashy.

Parramore is a street several blocks west of I-4 right in Downtown Orlando.

Metro West is a huge Planned Urban Development (PUD), who's northern border is partly along HW 50 west between Orlando and Winter Garden, and then going south along Kirkman road; continuing south past the 408. It's a bit area - some areas are better than others; it's nothing like "one big ghetto" like some people want you to think.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:13 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
good post blueoktober and prichard. i have not been affected by the crime in orlando --- thank god. but it certainly puts a sour taste in your mouth after watching the local news though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando