Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 PM

254 posts, read 790,222 times

Advertisements

Hi! My DH might be accepting a job near the airport,,, I have a child who will go to HS. We might be renting first since we will probably have a hard time selling our house in NoVa. Any suggestions as to a safe apt. complex w/ a good (great) High School? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 08:43 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
lake nona

Old 04-24-2010, 10:06 PM

Default Good/Great HS near Orlando (Airport)

Thanks GLS2010! Really appreciate it. Do you know the zip codes near/at Lake Nona? So I can start searching for apartments/or houses for rent,,,,thanks a lot.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:19 PM

105 posts, read 179,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixau27 View Post
thanks gls2010! Really appreciate it. Do you know the zip codes near/at lake nona? So i can start searching for apartments/or houses for rent,,,,thanks a lot.
32832, 32827

Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Lake Nona is a good area. The school just opened this school year. There are about 3-4 apartment complexes out there.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Lake Nona has no track record to determine the quality of the school. It is new but new doesn't mean good. The closest , highest rated school near the airport is Boone on Kaley. You would likely rent a home to be in this area. It is an older neighborhood but they are an A rated school. Delaney Park is very nice as are several of the community in the district. Winter Park High is probably the second closest.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 AM

Default Good High School

Thanks everyone! 30 minute commute to the airport is not that bad either. So, any neighborhood that you guys can recommend within a 30 minute commute or near the freeway is acceptable as well. As previously posted, we'll be renting first but we would like a good HS so that we can buy in the same area after. Keep your suggestions coming pls! Thanks a lot!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:18 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Lake Nona has no track record to determine the quality of the school. It is new but new doesn't mean good. The closest , highest rated school near the airport is Boone on Kaley. You would likely rent a home to be in this area. It is an older neighborhood but they are an A rated school. Delaney Park is very nice as are several of the community in the district. Winter Park High is probably the second closest.
So far Ive heard Lake Nona is a great school.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:25 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Lake Nona will be a very good school- those who they attended to staff it, and the zone it was built in are impeccable.

OCPS created that HS to appease a small crowd, calling it a 'relief' school for an area that had absolutely no need to be relieved. It's a shame when a HS like West Orange can have over 2000 kids, but one of the smallest HS' can be relieved when a huge populous was going to private school in that area anyway.

In fact, their decision made so little sense they had to create a Middle/High school zone in order to fill up the building. I suppose money talks though- and Lake Nona HS is proof of that.

This school will have high test scores and stronger co-curriculars than Boone.

Lake Nona, Olympia, and Winter Park will by far shine as the accolade high schools of OCPS- still though a league behind the high points of SCPS.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 22,831 times
My family is also moving to the Orlando area this summer and reading through prior postings I found these sites.
SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools gives you a school rating based on test scores, full time students, free lunches...
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community uses parent comments to rate the schools, which gives you a better feel for the school.
Also there was a link to the Orlando Sentinel -
Central Florida High School Ratings - OrlandoSentinel.com which helps you compare the high schools with criteria not used in the other two sites.

I wish I could remember who posted this info originally to credit him, they have been a great source for me to narrow down where to look for homes.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: