Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:46 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitny View Post
Dh has a job offer in Orlando. We are also from 'up north'. Wondered how you are settling in with the lifestyle? Would also be interested in hearing from anyone else who recently made the move from the NE to Orlando area. I am afraid it will be a culture shock for me, having lived only in NYC and DC during my life.

We are also looking at Lake Mary area. Also, Windermere and Dr. Phillips. Any thoughts on these areas?
It shouldn't be that much of a culture shock since half the people here are from the NE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:59 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitny View Post
Dh has a job offer in Orlando. We are also from 'up north'. Wondered how you are settling in with the lifestyle? Would also be interested in hearing from anyone else who recently made the move from the NE to Orlando area. I am afraid it will be a culture shock for me, having lived only in NYC and DC during my life.

We are also looking at Lake Mary area. Also, Windermere and Dr. Phillips. Any thoughts on these areas?
Dr. Phillips and Windermere are both really wonderful areas. Lake Mary is nice too, but I prefer the southwest side of Orlando. I split my time between Orlando and NYC and I honestly enjoy being in Orlando more at this point in my life. It may be a culture shock as it is a much slower pace, and just a general different lifestyle, but Orlando really is a great city with a lot to offer

Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,756 times
I just graduated college and accepted a job offer in winter park just off of fairbanks avenue. I really had no luck finding a nice apartment in this area for different reasons such as price, location, amenities, vacancy, etc. Needless to say i decided to take a look at Lake Mary. I really like the area as well as the apartment complex. The thing that really worries me is the I4 commute i would have to make to and from work everyday. About how long will this commute take. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,073 times
Lake Emma Road, lots of rentals there, can't go wrong!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:40 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trice7587 View Post
I just graduated college and accepted a job offer in winter park just off of fairbanks avenue. I really had no luck finding a nice apartment in this area for different reasons such as price, location, amenities, vacancy, etc. Needless to say i decided to take a look at Lake Mary. I really like the area as well as the apartment complex. The thing that really worries me is the I4 commute i would have to make to and from work everyday. About how long will this commute take. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can get to WP from Lake Mary in about 15-20 min without traffic. It depends what hours you work also. Do yourself a favor and learn the back roads and you'll be fine. Lake Mary is a great choice to live.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,956 times
My husband has an amazing opportunity to move to Lake Mary with his company. We are currently New Yorkers-- actually from Long Island. Have 3 kids-- very involved with our community.. our Chritmas card list spans out 100+ we have so many friends here.. BUT-- NY is getting so difficult to have the quality of life one thinks of.. we spend over 3 hrs a day on a train just to get to work.. We are always rushing-- we are very involved with our children and their activities / friends etc-- but always wish there was a better way.. My husband and I both work in NYC and are soo exausted!! Lake Mary -- Heathrow area sounds so inviting to me!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracil View Post
My husband has an amazing opportunity to move to Lake Mary with his company. We are currently New Yorkers-- actually from Long Island. Have 3 kids-- very involved with our community.. our Chritmas card list spans out 100+ we have so many friends here.. BUT-- NY is getting so difficult to have the quality of life one thinks of.. we spend over 3 hrs a day on a train just to get to work.. We are always rushing-- we are very involved with our children and their activities / friends etc-- but always wish there was a better way.. My husband and I both work in NYC and are soo exausted!! Lake Mary -- Heathrow area sounds so inviting to me!
If you're looking for a laid back suburban Florida feel, then Lake Mary is the place. A little hustle, a little bustle, but nothing like the on top of each other rat race that is NYC. What I'm trying to say is that you would be relocating to the Orlando area, and although a rapidly growing and vibrant locale, it's still a relatively relaxed metro area without being the retirees paradise Florida. Plenty of people who choose to come down here do so because it is a happy medium where some of the pace and amenities or large metro living are blended almost seamlessly with the typical lower density, lower stress Florida living.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
If you're looking for a laid back suburban Florida feel, then Lake Mary is the place. A little hustle, a little bustle, but nothing like the on top of each other rat race that is NYC. What I'm trying to say is that you would be relocating to the Orlando area, and although a rapidly growing and vibrant locale, it's still a relatively relaxed metro area without being the retirees paradise Florida. Plenty of people who choose to come down here do so because it is a happy medium where some of the pace and amenities or large metro living are blended almost seamlessly with the typical lower density, lower stress Florida living.
I can't agree with you more. We, too, have moved from PA 11 years ago. Good luck to the OP and I think you'll like Heathrow.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:39 AM

37 posts, read 82,168 times
I have been looking myself over the last 5 or so months at making a transition to Lake Mary. My g/f will be able to transfer with her job at Paychex Inc. to Lake Mary but me on the other hand will have to find employment. How is it for the job market down in the area? Obviously, this is not the best time anywhere to be looking for work but I honestly need to get to warmer climate and all i'm doing by procrastinating is delaying my process of leaving. Unfortunately, times are rough and jobs are hard to find along with trying to sell my house here in Ohio but I am just trying to get an idea of the market down in Lake Mary area? As of now I have been working at a machine shop going on 7 years now and have been a Supervisor for the past 4. I am a 28y/o male who is also going to school for personal training & nutrition. To be honest, I do not want to get back into any sort of machine shop and would like to try something different. So basically I would be starting somewhere as entry level. Any suggestioins, comments, or info would be highly appreciated!!! Thanks to everyone ahead of time for the help!!

Tony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando