Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 04:36 PM

9 posts, read 17,057 times

Advertisements

i have spoken to numerous people on these threads and they all tell me that there are parts of oviedo that are not as desirable as others. they say that it has nothing to do with the crime rate, drugs, etc just that the area is more "run down". i am trying to compare it to the area i live around now. i live in dallastown, PA and in the "town center" the houses are old and more like row houses. there arent any criminals or anything just a bit more of a unkept feel. all around the outskirts are these new homes that cost a fortune. much more than the "town" homes and they have every convenience imaginable. is this pretty much the same as oviedo? can anyone clarify for me? thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:18 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
Sounds about right In the center of Oviedo are some older buildings, and basically, 'project' type housing. Older, small, run down homes. Because of the poverty, there is a little more crime going on there. You can look to this website www.crimereports.com to see exactly what types of crime. Oviedo has two zip codes 32765 (old Oviedo falls into this one , as does the majority of Oviedo, ) and 32766 (which is where I live) and that includes the Sanctuary and Live Oak and I believe Riverside developments. Oviedo shares that last zip code with Chuluota as well.

So if you go to that website and use 32765 and then zoom in one click, you will see to the right side of the map a street called Willingham road and below it Horseshoe Lake. That is the end of Oviedo...that is the area where I live and it is mostly new in that area. Zoom in one more click, and going west, on 419, you will cross over Lockwood Blvd...there things begin to get a little 'less new', probably 10-20 years maybe...(I am guessing...I have only been here about a year now but I talk to people) Around Long Lake you have the Kingsbridge East and West development, which is nice. South of Mitchell Hammock you have Alafaya Woods. Keep heading south and you hit Carrilon, Haggerty High school and eventually UCF. All of this is probably within the last 10-20 years also. There is a skate park down there as well and a few other developments.

Back up to CR 419...heading into the center of Oviedo...above Long Lake is a small lake called Round Lake, and that area is very poor. The homes are small, old, run down. However just north of that is Lake Charm, and those homes are about 100 years old ((I believe) and are large, very well kept, and very expensive. they have large properties and all sit on the lake.

At the main intersection of 419 and 434 is a 5 way intersection with a great old diner, a giant baptist church with a brand new beautiful building and lots of small businesses. The buildings are mostly old, the streets in town cannot currently handle the traffic very well. there are plans to widen the roads, and from what I understand, that includes taking down some of the old buildings, (including my fave diner there ) Very close to all of this is a new Aquatic / Rec center and future town center with apartments and parks. So, we also have some wild chickens running around in old Oviedo as well...which I just love! they are quite popular.

So, that is what I am familiar with, and hopefully I was able to be helpful and not too confusing I am sure there are others here who can add to the discussion!

I will mention, though, that even the 'newer' sections have ranges of price and conveniences in the homes from small 2 bedrooms to very large 6 bedrooms so there is variety to be had with the new homes! Please add if you have any other questions! Oviedo is a really nice town, we like it alot!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:32 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
I am so confused.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I am so confused.
So sorry to hear about your issues...

Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Sounds about right In the center of Oviedo are some older buildings, and basically, 'project' type housing. Older, small, run down homes. Because of the poverty, there is a little more crime going on there. You can look to this website www.crimereports.com to see exactly what types of crime. Oviedo has two zip codes 32765 (old Oviedo falls into this one , as does the majority of Oviedo, ) and 32766 (which is where I live) and that includes the Sanctuary and Live Oak and I believe Riverside developments. Oviedo shares that last zip code with Chuluota as well.

So if you go to that website and use 32765 and then zoom in one click, you will see to the right side of the map a street called Willingham road and below it Horseshoe Lake. That is the end of Oviedo...that is the area where I live and it is mostly new in that area. Zoom in one more click, and going west, on 419, you will cross over Lockwood Blvd...there things begin to get a little 'less new', probably 10-20 years maybe...(I am guessing...I have only been here about a year now but I talk to people) Around Long Lake you have the Kingsbridge East and West development, which is nice. South of Mitchell Hammock you have Alafaya Woods. Keep heading south and you hit Carrilon, Haggerty High school and eventually UCF. All of this is probably within the last 10-20 years also. There is a skate park down there as well and a few other developments.

Back up to CR 419...heading into the center of Oviedo...above Long Lake is a small lake called Round Lake, and that area is very poor. The homes are small, old, run down. However just north of that is Lake Charm, and those homes are about 100 years old ((I believe) and are large, very well kept, and very expensive. they have large properties and all sit on the lake.

At the main intersection of 419 and 434 is a 5 way intersection with a great old diner, a giant baptist church with a brand new beautiful building and lots of small businesses. The buildings are mostly old, the streets in town cannot currently handle the traffic very well. there are plans to widen the roads, and from what I understand, that includes taking down some of the old buildings, (including my fave diner there ) Very close to all of this is a new Aquatic / Rec center and future town center with apartments and parks. So, we also have some wild chickens running around in old Oviedo as well...which I just love! they are quite popular.

So, that is what I am familiar with, and hopefully I was able to be helpful and not too confusing I am sure there are others here who can add to the discussion!

I will mention, though, that even the 'newer' sections have ranges of price and conveniences in the homes from small 2 bedrooms to very large 6 bedrooms so there is variety to be had with the new homes! Please add if you have any other questions! Oviedo is a really nice town, we like it alot!
Great post! Very accurate. You haven't even lived here a year and you're already an Oviedo pro lol.

But to the OP your basically correct. Back in the day Oviedo was a small farm town seperate from Orlando with a rail road running through it connecting it to Orlando and Winter Park. But over the years it has been engulfed by suburban development from Orlando, and the rail tracks have been transformed into biking trails. The original Oviedo structures still exists and there are some very run down areas. I would say the worst is on the east/northeast side of the heart of Oviedo. The south and western parts of the "old Oviedo" has larger homes and is pretty well kept. And I agree with the traffic in the heart of Oviedo where the town house is. There is just too much for that old small section of town to handle, and it will be sad to see the townhouse go, but that seems like the only option. It's a pain going north through the town on 434. It used to take you straight through, but years ago when the traffic started to get too heavy they had to make an alternate route for the north bound traffic going around the historic buildings and back around. It's confusing if you're new to the area.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 PM

9 posts, read 17,057 times
thanks for the input! it seemed a bit confusing but im sure thats because i have never been to the area. at least now i know what areas to check out or avoid. i appreciate it a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando