Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times

Advertisements

Lake County seems like it would have the best hiking due to the hilly terrain. Any suggestions either there or anywhere else in the Orlando area that offers at least some sort of grade to the terrain? Also, where are the most scenic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Wekiwa State Park but not very hilly. I've heard Ocala national forest is good as well as some trails around Gainesville.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

My new subdivision... it'll give you a nice little work out... only about 9 hrs north of where you are (Asheville NC) lol.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:07 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Ocala National forest can get very, very hot in the summer. Also, if you try one of these hikes, make sure you know where you are going and have water. Check to make sure your cell phone gets reception. Ask the rangers before you just head out into the forest.

Personally, I wouldn't bother hiking in FL. Last time I tried that out by Rock Springs, there was gunfire from hunters or something.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:41 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
^^^LOL, hiking in FL does seem kind of funny.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 PM

Well, I would think the same, but considering there are about 8 books on hiking in Florida there must be something to it.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:09 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
You have hit on one of my loves!!! Hiking, Biking anywhere is a great way to enjoy the outdoors no matter what your age! Here are some of my favorite places to hike in Florida and some I haven't been to yet, but are on my MUST DO list:

Ravine Gardens State Park in Palatka
Hike ravine slope trails for 2 miles with awesome views. Go when the azaleas are blooming - there are over 95,000 along the trail!!!!

Caladesi Island State Park/Clearwater
My latest hike!! You can take the ferry from Honeymoon Island and hike the 3.5 mile trail around the island or park at the north end of Clearwater Water Beach and take a 3 mile Beach Hike to the Island and then hike the island trail if you want a longer hike. Don't forget you'll have to hike back unless you have someone to pick you up by private boat. There is no road to the island. One of the most gorgeous beach hikes imaginable. Caladesi was voted No 1 beach in America in 2008.

Little Econ Section of The Florida Trail - 7.3 mile hike following the Little Econ River in East Orlando
Great biking trail, too!!

Hillsborough River State Park - features 3 hiking trails....2 of which go over suspension bridges. It's a little muddy and boggy at times. Best for experienced hikers.

Little Manatee River State Park - enjoy 2 loop hikes with a lot of diversity in flora, etc.

Lake Lotus Park - right in Altamonte Springs is great when you don't have time to go further but need a little hiking 'fix'. It's beautiful and 1.7 miles only!

Ocala National Forest - MANY trails in this superb park! One favorite: Timucaun Indian Trail....it leads right to Alexander Springs as well. Where you can enjoy the most beautiful, clear water anywhere!

For an amazing desert-like, rugged hike - try Catfish Creek Preserve State Park. We did this on April - it was completely different than any terrain I had ever done before.

Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge - this is THE park that inspired President Teddy Roosevelt to create the National Wildlife Refuge System back in 1903. It has 3 trails.

Enchanted Forest Sanctuary - great for families....has everything - historic sites, geological oddities, massive trees, gardens, even a nature center - right outside the Kennedy Space Center.

Hidden Waters Preserve: This a massive sinkhole— the Eichelberger Sink. Take the Lake Alfred Trail down a steep slope. The Ravine Trail leads up and around a deeply eroded gash in the landscape caused by funneling water down into the sinkhole from the hillside above. You will get a workout!

Florida Cavern State Park (in the Panhandle - not central Florida)
There are 7 trails on the bluffs overlooking the Chipola River. There is one that goes through a cave - Tunnel Cave!

More in the next post!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:59 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
I had another post with some of the BEST trails in Florida but my computer locked up and lost it. I'll try to repost later!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 AM

10 posts, read 40,964 times
Thank you for posting this list. I am printing it out for reference and plan on trying some of these

Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 AM

Thanks pianogal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando