U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 11,571 times

Advertisements

florida gay nurses beware. i was very ill last summer in florida hospital orlando.i had swine flu and difficulty breathing.a consult saw my partner and put2 and 2 together and said "That's it,you need an AIDS test".I was stunned and asked him to leave my room and then he yelled at me and said i also need a psyche consult,you all do.My partner and i were shocked to say the least. I told him we were in a monogomous relationship for almost 20 years and we were not at risk of aids anymore than anyone else.He was very rude and disrespectful,we reported it immediately.To this day i have heard nothing about it from the hospital or an apology from anyone.So beware if you are gay and it's known or suspected you may have to have an aids test and a psyche consult.By the way to appease them i had it done and it was negative.I am also a RN and was treated like a street urchin.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-12-2010, 10:40 PM

8,253 posts, read 11,842,827 times
That is quite unacceptable. You are too polite in with holding the site. I'm glad you were able to recover without their best wishes. I always say if you want to be healthy stay out of the hospitals. Guess if you want to avoid being abused you should as well.

Well you will be healthy and happy tomorrow and they will still be bitter hateful people. You have the better side of the tracks.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 PM

2,034 posts, read 3,870,301 times
That consult should be fired. What a disgusting thing to say to a person.. you would think a person working in a hospital would have the education to know that homosexuality isn't a psychiatric condition. But.. bigotry is what it is. All we can hope for is a better, more accepting world for tomorrow.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 PM

92 posts, read 207,396 times
sue make em learn with their pocketbooks

Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 AM

989 posts, read 1,464,949 times
Sorry that this happened to you. I doubt that this is the whole story however. Possibly they suspected pneumonia (which as you know is uncommon in young immunocompetent patients). Possibly someone was stuck with a needle that was used in your care and requested an HIV test.

If I had to guess (granted I wasn't there), I would say that there was a legitimate reason for the test, but once it was suggested personality conflicts got in the way and the situation escalated.

Even if the person suggesting the test was doing so out of prejudice, you shouldn't reflect that upon the entire healthcare system, you should reflect it upon that person. I'm sure that whatever was notated in your chart did not reflect your opinion of what happened.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:42 AM

8,283 posts, read 12,462,100 times
Florida Hospital is usually very good so I'm really surprised to hear this. Homophobes exist in all sorts of careers but a healthcare professional should know better!
I'm sorry to hear what happened to you but you really only have 2 options and that is either let it go or hire an attorney.Good luck to you!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:05 PM

4 posts, read 11,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Sorry that this happened to you. I doubt that this is the whole story however. Possibly they suspected pneumonia (which as you know is uncommon in young immunocompetent patients). Possibly someone was stuck with a needle that was used in your care and requested an HIV test.

If I had to guess (granted I wasn't there), I would say that there was a legitimate reason for the test, but once it was suggested personality conflicts got in the way and the situation escalated.

Even if the person suggesting the test was doing so out of prejudice, you shouldn't reflect that upon the entire healthcare system, you should reflect it upon that person. I'm sure that whatever was notated in your chart did not reflect your opinion of what happened.
No noone got stuck with a needle. Like i said i am a RN and worked at Florida Hospital.No i didn't have pneumonia either, the chest x-rays confirmed that. And several nurses outside my room heard the conversation and could not believe anyone there would talk to a patient like that. I have seen and heard many situations over the years with respect to gay patients. There are ways to get information across to patients without verbally attacking them.This physician lacked diplomacy. When i spoke with the Nursing supervisor and expresses an interest in filing a complaint i was told i would have to wait in line so to speak, this physician has had several complaints against him. But revenue trumps justice,as long as he makes money for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando