Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasstec View Post
A graduate degree from UCF would hold far greater weight than FAU or Lynn....you've nothing to worry about there.
hahaha I hope you are joking. If you're now an engineering major UCF grad isn't worth ****. Thats the only good program they have. Their business is a joke. I'm an accountant at FAU and the only other school that stacks up with us in that field is FIU. So it's really up to what path you're going cuz if UCF's program sux (which it probably will if it's not engineering) then it's not worth it. A lot of people for pre-reqs there but as a grad school most people pass because it isn't very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:18 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlw View Post
hey everyone-
i apologize if this post doesn't quite belong here/is kind of lengthy, but i haven't found a better or more helpful forum thus far (i've been lurking for a while and have already gotten some great insight

i'm a 23 year-old single woman currently living in boston and working in travel marketing. while i love boston (i went to college here and it certainly has a ton to offer), a move to florida has been in my head and heart for the past few years - i'm ready for a change of pace and a consistently warm climate, as i've lived in the northeast all of my life and i'm done with 6 months of winter!

i recently decided that attending grad school in florida would be the perfect opportunity to move down, as i've been wanting to get my master's in the next few years anyways, and (i assume) it would be much easier to find a job once i'm already down here. i would be getting my degree in communications or mass comm, and have narrowed down my choices to UCF, FAU, Lynn and possibly USF (pretty clueless about Tampa, though).

while i was initially drawn to south florida because of its proximity to the ocean and the fact that i'm fairly familiar with the area since i have family down there, UCF actually looks like it has a better reputation and a better program than my other choices.

i had never considered orlando, mainly because of all of the "scary crime" posts, but the more i look into it, the more it looks like there's a pretty big concentration of students/young professionals, great entertainment options (live music/shows/etc. are pretty important to me) and more activities that fit my interests...maybe even more than south florida.

basically, i'm trying to gauge how potential employers might view a master's degree from UCF as opposed to one from FAU or Lynn, AND whether i might do well living in orlando/if it's as bad as some make it sound. i feel like i don't really have the insight that you floridians probably have about this stuff

any help/advice is GREATLY appreciated. thanks so much!!
The best thing would be to apply to those grad schools that you're considering, and once you are accepted, move near the school that you have been accepted to. There is no guarantee that you'll be accepted to a grad program, and it would make no sense to relocate to say Orlando and have to go to USF in Tampa.

Also, I would highly recommend, unless you have wealthy parents/husband/sugar daddy that can support you, to find a job first, and then move down.

Also University of Florida is the only grad school I would recommend, so try going there, even though it is literally impossible to get in because of the quality of education there. What was your undergrad GPA if you don't mind me asking? And what would you want to do a master's in?

Every city has their bad parts. Compare all the things you hear in Orlando about Pine Hills, Parramore, etc, to the things you hear about Mattapan, Washington St., Grove Hall in Boston and the rest is pretty much the same. Only Boston ppl would know what I'm talking about, I used to work there. Orlando is a great city btw.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post

Also University of Florida is the only grad school I would recommend, so try going there, even though it is literally impossible to get in because of the quality of education there. What was your undergrad GPA if you don't mind me asking? And what would you want to do a master's in?

This was not even on her list....they may not even offer her choice of major! Not everyone is a gator fan and chooses their college based on the football team...Ok! LOL... This is not the only college in Florida with a good education, as evidenced by this wealth of postings

Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
This was not even on her list....they may not even offer her choice of major! Not everyone is a gator fan and chooses their college based on the football team...Ok! LOL... This is not the only college in Florida with a good education, as evidenced by this wealth of postings
Well excuse me but that was my opinion mmkay? Dont hate on UF just cuz u applied there, didnt get accepted, n went to another uni not by choice. U have to admit if you hate us n ur from another college, at some point u wanted to be us. Gator fans can i get a amen?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 PM

20 posts, read 32,300 times
oy! well i'm excited that people are stirring the pot on my topic again, at least

g0gat0rs, the plan is definitely to get accepted to one of the schools and move down to be near that school - i wouldn't do so without knowing where i was going first! and i did look online at UF and determined that gainesville is definitely not for me. seems like a huge emphasis on sports and not much else going on up there - i'm sure it's great as an undergrad but not sure for a grad student...regardless of whether the program is top-notch (btw - i'm looking at mass communication and my GPA was a little over 3.5).

i absolutely want my masters, but not at the sacrifice of my enjoyment of the city around me, so i'm trying to find a balance of decent school and nice city to live in with at least a little bit of entertainment/some things to do. so far (miami notwithstanding- not really interested in living there), it seems like orlando is the top choice. fortunately, i'll be coming down in november to look at UCF and check out the area! thanks for all of your help, everyone...

Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Well excuse me but that was my opinion mmkay? Dont hate on UF just cuz u applied there, didnt get accepted, n went to another uni not by choice. U have to admit if you hate us n ur from another college, at some point u wanted to be us. Gator fans can i get a amen?
Hmmmm...was grammar not in the curriculum there? Actually, I did not apply there. I attended a private sector university in Pennsylvania called Widener University. Paid my own way as I went. Graduated debt free, and worked while I attended school. So...I am not a gator hater...not at all I just find the fervent football phanatasism entertaining down here in the south

Old 09-03-2010, 04:09 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I would think Orlando is much safer than South Florida. Boston is much more exciting that Orlando so you might regret your choice in a few years. But, we don't get snow, it does get a bit cold in the winter, but no snow. UCF is really big now and everyone that attends that college seems to enjoy it.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:21 AM

20 posts, read 32,300 times
thanks totsuka! i've already prepared myself for a huge change from boston - but i've lived here for about 4 years now (and the northeast all my life) and i'm the type of person who appreciates a change of pace every so often (not to mention - i loathe snow! . my idea is that at least if i do end up disliking orlando, i'll get my degree and figure out where to go from there!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Hmmmm...was grammar not in the curriculum there? Actually, I did not apply there. I attended a private sector university in Pennsylvania called Widener University. Paid my own way as I went. Graduated debt free, and worked while I attended school. So...I am not a gator hater...not at all I just find the fervent football phanatasism entertaining down here in the south
Hmmmm...so ur from FL, u didnt apply to UF, and u went to some small private uni that nobodys ever heard of in Pennsylvania(of all the states) by choice?

And you expect me to believe this because...(fill in the blank)

A more feasible theory would be that somebodys gpa and sat fell a little bit behind.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm...so ur from FL, u didnt apply to UF, and u went to some small private uni that nobodys ever heard of in Pennsylvania(of all the states) by choice?

And you expect me to believe this because...(fill in the blank)

A more feasible theory would be that somebodys gpa and sat fell a little bit behind.
Umm...no...if you follow my postings at all, (guess they don't teach reading at UF either?) I moved to Florida a little over a year ago. I am from PA, born and raised. Widener University is a very well respected University, with excellent Nursing, Engineering, and Business programs. Many people have heard of it, and it's not that easy to get into, especially the above named majors. Really, I could care less if you believe me or not. So, let it go...my original reply, was serious in response regarding the OP's major and choice of schools, and in jest regarding the raving lunacy about people's football teams down here and how they choose a school based on the team and not the education. You indicated there should be no other choice than Gator country, and that is just not so. Choices abound here in Florida and one need not make a choice based on a sport alone. My only point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando