Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Phylos,

I wrote a long reply to you, but it's just not worth it.

-Ender
agreed. It is pretty obvious that Phylos has not seen the "cultural" parts of Orlando. Maybe he/she should leave I-drive and disney and see what else is out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:52 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylos View Post
I'm sure it wasn't, thank goodness for home schooling

The if you don't like it then get out mentality, awesome. And you don't think Orlando is over crowded and dirty for its size? Oh boy.

I won't argue that it doesn't lack cultural diversity as in ethnicity, but as far open mindedness it lacks severely
Orlando is definitely not over crowded, but it also wasn't planned properly either. The lack of main roads and the lack of a grid layout and the suburban sprawl creates a lot of traffic that make it seem over crowded but really it isn't

As far as being dirty, Orlando has it's pockets of places that are awful but compared to living in the northeast we are by and far MUCH cleaner and less ghetto then town I was born in, Waterbury, Connecticut, and I can make a whole list of cities up north people think are "better" then Orlando.

As for me personally my role in Orlando is just about up. I will be leaving for Las Vegas this Friday. If I'm unable to find a job I will return however. I'm ready for a change personally but I still like Orlando and it still has a lot of good things going for it.

As far as open mindedness it lacks but not severely. It all depends on what part of town you live in. I live in an upper middle class suburb where the people are very uptight and there is hardly any open mindedness whatsoever. It reminds me of the small town mindset I dealt with in Connecticut. But in other places around downtown like Thornton Park there are a lot of younger folks who are progressive open minded liberals who are VERY open minded, cultured people. It all depends on the person really.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
agreed. It is pretty obvious that Phylos has not seen the "cultural" parts of Orlando. Maybe he/she should leave I-drive and disney and see what else is out there.
I won't say where Phylos has been what is clear is that Phylos is being judgmental to everyone on this forum while preaching to not judge others. Funny how that always works.

The reality is everyone judges - its whether you act on those judgments or look past them that matter. (And with that said Florida has some of the lowest Hate Crimes in the nation, that includes crimes caused by gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, and religion. No small feat for a state as close minded as you would like to tell people.)

There is nothing to say in this situation because if you try to tell Phylos he's wrong he'll come back and say, "See you're trying to act superior and judging me" and if you don't then there is nothing to say. It's a circular argument, and I don't enjoy playing with people who can't have rational discussions.

I have no idea where Phylos has been or what Phylos has done. I have two pieces of advice not just for Phylos but everyone here:
1. You can't please everyone, its futile to try.
2. Walk the line - don't preach it.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:21 PM

19 posts, read 48,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

As far as open mindedness it lacks but not severely. It all depends on what part of town you live in. I live in an upper middle class suburb where the people are very uptight and there is hardly any open mindedness whatsoever. It reminds me of the small town mindset I dealt with in Connecticut. But in other places around downtown like Thornton Park there are a lot of younger folks who are progressive open minded liberals who are VERY open minded, cultured people. It all depends on the person really.

Exactly...I like these areas too Thornton Park, lil Viet town and downtown...but outside of these areas is what I mean exactly. A little too stepford'ish for my tastes, hey to each their own. And I do apologize for my previous responses I was a little bit harsh on the way I worded it, I didn't eat yet and was a little cranky.
To the guy or gal who said to step outside of the tourist districts Disney, I-Drive etc...I've lived here my whole life, I think I've seen a bit of it all. Infact I don't even venture out to those areas anymore they just annoy me now.
Peace

Old 05-29-2010, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 11,892 times
There are many different obvious styles and opinions going on in this thread alone which I believe it's a good representation of Orlando itself. Thank you all for the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando