Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,832,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I never suggested living there. I would never suggest anyone to live at the Mosaic or that area.
Sorry if I misunderstood. You might want to clarify your earlier post. It seems I wasn't the only one confused by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 03:01 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,031,843 times
Ok, I will reword...basically I just picked the area in Orlando most similar to the Perimeter shopping area of Atlanta. However, I am speaking purely from a perspective of layout and proximity of one thing to the next and the offerings of both. Both are dominated by an indoor shopping mall and several surrounding outdoor shopping malls with large parking lots and chain restaurants. Both have hideous traffic at rush hour. Living at the Mosaic or Aqua would offer about the same in terms of amenities, however I am not about to say the areas are comparable in terms of living. Dunwoody is a very nice area with a good amount of wealth and nice homes. Millenia is one of the worst areas in Orlando to live due to the nearby neighborhoods. I am fully on record of suggesting downtown, Thornton Park, College Park, or Winter Park for walkable living in Orlando.

Last edited by Pete C; 05-25-2010 at 03:19 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 03:38 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,647,554 times
Quote:
Ok, I will reword...basically I just picked the area in Orlando most similar to the Perimeter shopping area of Atlanta. However, I am speaking purely from a perspective of layout and proximity of one thing to the next and the offerings of both. Both are dominated by an indoor shopping mall and several surrounding outdoor shopping malls with large parking lots and chain restaurants. Both have hideous traffic at rush hour. Living at the Mosaic or Aqua would offer about the same in terms of amenities, however I am not about to say the areas are comparable in terms of living. Dunwoody is a very nice area with a good amount of wealth and nice homes. Millenia is one of the worst areas in Orlando to live due to the nearby neighborhoods. I am fully on record of suggesting downtown, Thornton Park, College Park, or Winter Park for walkable living in Orlando.
Kinda like how waterford lakes is? minus the indoor mall. The whole waterford lakes town center area is loaded with those kind of stores and restaurants.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Kinda like how waterford lakes is? minus the indoor mall. The whole waterford lakes town center area is loaded with those kind of stores and restaurants.
I actually just saw that area for the first time the other night since my closest Best Buy sold out of something I needed. Very nice and new. The Perimeter Mall area is similar to areas like that. However Perimeter has a SoDo-like live-work-play complex with second-level apartments over retail and a condo high-rise right in the middle of it, which increases foot traffic. Both Winter Park Village and SoDo have some similar traits, but neither have enough big box retail or indoor mall around them to be equal.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,835,384 times
The Millenia Mall area is crime infested. Nice mall, nice stores, plastic people. And surrounded by the ghetto on just about all sides.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:10 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,032,123 times
Quote:
I actually just saw that area for the first time the other night since my closest Best Buy sold out of something I needed. Very nice and new. The Perimeter Mall area is similar to areas like that. However Perimeter has a SoDo-like live-work-play complex with second-level apartments over retail and a condo high-rise right in the middle of it, which increases foot traffic. Both Winter Park Village and SoDo have some similar traits, but neither have enough big box retail or indoor mall around them to be equal.
Have you seen Crane's Roost? Its got a ton of stores in walking distance. Altamonte Mall, Publix, Barnes and Nobles (in Altamonte Mall), Movie Theater, good restaurants, whole food store (not Whole Foods but that other one) in 5 minute drive, Best Buy and Target are both 5 minutes away, close to I-4, high end furniture stores 2 minutes away on Douglas.

I'd definitely consider Crane's Roost or Thorton Park as the best options.

Oh and Crane's Roost is also close to a Costco. Mmm cheap filet mignon and gas.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
The Millenia Mall area is crime infested. Nice mall, nice stores, plastic people. And surrounded by the ghetto on just about all sides.
Ok, didn't I mention that already? Except the part about the plastic people which you could pass broad-sweeping judgment like that on any upscale mall in the country.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:53 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,647,554 times
If you live in any of the numerous apartment complexes that surround the Waterford lakes town center you would be walking distance from endless amount of places. Super target, best buy, bed bath & beyond, Old navy, Petsmart, tjmaxx, Tillys, Ashley furniture, ulta, office max, staples, sports authority, kohls, at&t/all the other cell phone places, game stop, movie stop, bike shop, peir one imports, movie theater with IMAX, Home depot, American eagal, loft, GNC, barnes and noble, jos a bank, kinkos, chase bank, sketchers, the list goes on and on. and more resturants than I can count.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Have you seen Crane's Roost? Its got a ton of stores in walking distance. Altamonte Mall, Publix, Barnes and Nobles (in Altamonte Mall), Movie Theater, good restaurants, whole food store (not Whole Foods but that other one) in 5 minute drive, Best Buy and Target are both 5 minutes away, close to I-4, high end furniture stores 2 minutes away on Douglas.

I'd definitely consider Crane's Roost or Thorton Park as the best options.

Oh and Crane's Roost is also close to a Costco. Mmm cheap filet mignon and gas.
We used to drive up and walk around Crane's Roost almost every day when I lived in Maitland. Love the lake there. However, there are 2 things the OP said they wanted which Crane's Roost does not offer: bars and upscale area. The lake/park itself gives a nice upscale look, and the Uptown Lofts apartments and 2 condo towers on the lake look nice, but the surrounding areas around the mall are not upscale. Most of that area is not. There are restaurants up there, but not very many in walkable distance either. Crane's Roost is more of a suburban vibe as opposed to Thornton Park or Winter Park which are upscale and walkable. I grabbed a slice of pizza on Park Ave today and drove around there...just crazy money in there. The Park Ave shopping strip is really one of the most unique places in Florida. The huge homes and mansions up the street from there are flat-out amazing.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,835,384 times
Quote:
Ok, didn't I mention that already? Except the part about the plastic people which you could pass broad-sweeping judgment like that on any upscale mall in the country.

Actually you suggested to the poster to look into the area, which is not a good idea.

("It's walkable if you would also consider living at The Mosaic across from Millenia Mall and walking to the mall, Super Target, and all those huge stores and restaurants walkable").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando