Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:16 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,031,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Actually you suggested to the poster to look into the area, which is not a good idea.
No, I didn't. I said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
It's walkable if you would also consider living at The Mosaic across from Millenia Mall and walking to the mall, Super Target, and all those huge stores and restaurants walkable.
I thought I clarified this. When I said "It's walkable" I was referring to Perimeter...I was replying to another post. Then I said, in short, "It's walkable if you would also consider living at The Mosaic walkable. I hope this makes my sentence more clear. I already said on page 2 I would never recommend this area to anyone and I thought I clarified it again on my last post on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,915,131 times
Quote:
We used to drive up and walk around Crane's Roost almost every day when I lived in Maitland. Love the lake there. However, there are 2 things the OP said they wanted which Crane's Roost does not offer: bars and upscale area.
So Elephant Bar, Ale House, Bahama Breeze, plus that restaurant that used to be Gino's and a million other things since don't have bars? I'm confused about what the OP wants, an upscale area with bars and big box retail, but it can't feel suburban? Maybe looking outside of the South East would be a better plan and good luck finding big box retailers in the core of a traditional big city, it's not exactly the norm.

My best recommendation would be Colonial Town Center in Lake Mary. It has nice condos surrounded by wealth, Publix for grocery, couple really nice bars/restaurants, and under a mile to mall with big box stores and all.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:09 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,835,384 times
My apologies, PeteC.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,032,123 times
Quote:
We used to drive up and walk around Crane's Roost almost every day when I lived in Maitland. Love the lake there. However, there are 2 things the OP said they wanted which Crane's Roost does not offer: bars and upscale area. The lake/park itself gives a nice upscale look, and the Uptown Lofts apartments and 2 condo towers on the lake look nice, but the surrounding areas around the mall are not upscale. Most of that area is not. There are restaurants up there, but not very many in walkable distance either. Crane's Roost is more of a suburban vibe as opposed to Thornton Park or Winter Park which are upscale and walkable. I grabbed a slice of pizza on Park Ave today and drove around there...just crazy money in there. The Park Ave shopping strip is really one of the most unique places in Florida. The huge homes and mansions up the street from there are flat-out amazing.
WINTER PARK IS NOT WALKABLE. I'm so tired of people saying Winter Park is walkable, its not. Nobody is walking from the Publix on Aloma to Park Ave and then over to the Borders on 17-92. Its not happening. In fact that stretch of Aloma is one of the worst in the metro for pedestrians with high speeds and lots of curves. It wasn't but maybe a decade ago they had to put in a pedestrian walkway after Rollins continued to complain about how frustrating it was to walk from their new parking garage across to the campus.

Crane's Roost is very nice. Not so much on 436 towards Casselberry but go down Douglas or 434 in that area and its all upscale as you are approaching Heathrow. Crane's Roost has live jazz concerts and other happenings going on now as well.

Thorton Park is definitely the best but Crane's Roost is signifcantly better than Winter Park. And Winter Park doesn't really have any bars either.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:25 PM

Park Ave is not walkable? We have very, very different definitions then. Sure, there is no supermarket walkable to Park Ave, so you can't do everything on foot...however it offers a lot on foot if you can live close to the main strip. You have loads of restaurants, plenty of shopping, a few wine bars, some restaurants that double as bars since they are trendy/people sitting outside socializing, dessert shops, a french bakery, multiple coffee shops, a used bookstore, and the best weekly farmers market in the city by far. Do you have to be able to walk to the Borders? If you take just Park Ave, Hannibal Square, and the places on Fairbanks right around the corner, you are talking about a mile of solid, wall-to-wall retail and dining. Sure, Crane's Roost has the mall and stuff close to it, but where is the atmosphere? I agree the lake is nice, but aside from that there is no pedestrian atmosphere of people strolling about stores and restaurants all day and night. There is no comparison in my book. Now, that said, I still personally prefer downtown and Thornton Park due to the people, nightlife, atmosphere, and Lake Eola.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
My apologies, PeteC.
No prob...I could have worded it better considering others also didn't get what I was trying to say.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,032,123 times
Quote:
Park Ave is not walkable? We have very, very different definitions then. Sure, there is no supermarket walkable to Park Ave, so you can't do everything on foot...however it offers a lot on foot if you can live close to the main strip. You have loads of restaurants, plenty of shopping, a few wine bars, some restaurants that double as bars since they are trendy/people sitting outside socializing, dessert shops, a french bakery, multiple coffee shops, a used bookstore, and the best weekly farmers market in the city by far. Do you have to be able to walk to the Borders? If you take just Park Ave, Hannibal Square, and the places on Fairbanks right around the corner, you are talking about a mile of solid, wall-to-wall retail and dining. Sure, Crane's Roost has the mall and stuff close to it, but where is the atmosphere? I agree the lake is nice, but aside from that there is no pedestrian atmosphere of people strolling about stores and restaurants all day and night. There is no comparison in my book. Now, that said, I still personally prefer downtown and Thornton Park due to the people, nightlife, atmosphere, and Lake Eola.
I think we can all agree Thorton Park is best but the atmosphere on Park Ave does not make up for it being in the middle of a very residential area in my opinion. Form follows function and Crane's Roost was very well done, the only thing it doesn't have is old old oak trees to provide shade and atmosphere. And there is nowhere to live in Park Ave. You're going to end up living someplace else (unless you can afford a very very expensive house) and driving to Park Ave anyways. Crane's Roost has lofts in it. If they built some nice lofts in walking distance to Park Ave I'd give it nod, but there aren't any that I'm aware of.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:10 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,835,384 times
Quote:

I believe EndersDrift meant "Winter Park" (as in the city of WP) is not walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando