Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:46 AM

4 posts, read 7,090 times

Advertisements

I want to move to the Orlando area from Dunwoody, GA. I have no kids, and my wife and I are young, and enjoy being around people and restaurants and bars. We want to live in a good area of town, as well as very close to shopping, restaurants, and entertainment. We plan on renting a very nice 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in an upscale area of town. Can anyone help with advise in areas to look in. The area we currently live in have over 50 restaurants, a 5 star mall, and shopping all over the place, all within 3 blocks of our apartment. Your help is really appreciated.

Chance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,028,827 times
Before I help what sorta radius are you talking about? Walking or driving? 50 restaurants in Walking distance doesn't seem possible in Georgia so are you talking about a 5 mile radius? a 15 mile radius? What?

Also you say a 5 star mall? I'm not familiar with any mall ratings so where does this 5 star come from?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 PM

Good question. All of the resturants, malls, shops, bars, etc. are within 3 blocks....literally!!! We dont even have to drive to Wal-Mart or Target, both are within a few blocks of eachother. The mall thing is amazing, dont know about star rated, but it has a lot of hi-end stores in it. And valet parking outside. BUT this isn't downtown Atlanta, we are about 12-15 minutes from downtown. We absolutely love this area, and if we can find a simalr place in the Orlando-area we are all about it. Thanks again.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,803,875 times
Look in Thornton Park or Winter Park around Rollins.

Before you do that, figure out where you'll be working, because it could end up like living in Marietta and working in Peachtree otherwise.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:16 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,288,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Before I help what sorta radius are you talking about? Walking or driving? 50 restaurants in Walking distance doesn't seem possible in Georgia so are you talking about a 5 mile radius? a 15 mile radius? What?

Also you say a 5 star mall? I'm not familiar with any mall ratings so where does this 5 star come from?
They live in the area around Perimeter Mall, and yes - all of this is walkable and quite nice. Add in the convenience of a direct rail link into the City, and it's a great area.

annerk, as usual, made some great suggestions.

If it were me personally, I would most definately target Thornton Park, Winter Park and College Park. College Park would remind you a little of Virginia Highland, only more affordable.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Anne, you are correct. I'm sitting in my home-office right now and Perimeter mall is only 50 yards away. I own an interior design firm here in Atlanta, so I work all over the city, so driving is no big deal to me, i can schedule my clients when traffic is not that bad. thanks so much for your help.
Chance

Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,479,621 times
Try Dr. Phillips- it has the famous "restaurant row", close to entertainment at Disney, Universal, and I-Drive and is close to two large malls, the Mall at Millenia and the Florida Mall. Millenia is beautiful and is mostly upscale designer stores.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:37 PM

Thanks, Ill look into that.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,288,003 times
^While very nice, Dr. Phillips would be like living in Alpharetta. Very suburban, and you have to drive to absolutely everything.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:50 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,028,827 times
I'd suggest Maitland.

Maitland will centralize you between Winter Park and Altamonte and is also where a lot of the designer and architects are located in this area.

Dr. Phillips is also good.

I don't really consider College Park to be very upscale. Though that is where a lot of bars and independent galleries are at.

No matter where you live you're going to have to drive in Orlando, its just life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando