Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2007, 01:29 PM

45 posts, read 247,953 times

Advertisements

Moving to 32839 zipcode. What are all the broadband choices in the area? Any recommendations? So far I'm seeing RoadRunner cable (this is what Bright House offers) and Verizon DSL and FiOS. I'm not a fan of RoadRunner because of the traffic shaping, but from what I've heard so far it may be the best of the notsogreat.

Only need internet - no tv, no phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 01:43 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,032 times
We have used Roadrunner for 6 years now and are very happy. We switched to Sprint (which is now Embarq) DSL for a year 2 years ago and switched back to Roadrunner because Sprint was horrible. Also, at work we switched from Embarq to Roadrunner because the quality was so much better. Customer service for Brighthouse/Roadrunner is top notch as well. If we have a problem they are out the next day or so and always give us a credit but it has been a long time since we have had a problem. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2007, 04:16 PM

21 posts, read 217,472 times
Brighthouse is pretty good in my opinion. I think I have only had a couple outages in the last 3 years. The speeds are also nice (8mbps download).

I also don't believe Verizon FiOS is available in Orlando yet. Closest is Tampa.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:02 AM

Any comments on EarthLink vs RoadRunner?

Old 06-18-2007, 01:55 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,032 times
I have not had Earthlink but my parents did and did not like it. They switched to Roadrunner and are much happier. I don't know about the rest of Central Florida, but here in Kissimmee Brighhouse/Roadrunner is pretty much all that there is for "quality" cable and high-speed internet service.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:31 PM

21 posts, read 217,472 times
There is virtually no difference between the Brighthouse offering of Roadrunner/Earthlink/AOL. The only difference is the front end used to connect. I would personally just stick with Roadrunner, as Earthlink and AOL probably want to install some sort of bloatware in order to run.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:16 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
We use RoadRunner for internet, cable TV and Digital phone. We have excellent service. We have 4 computers online all the time and most evenings all 4 are being used to study, surf the web, download videos, etc. We never have a problem with bandwidth.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:18 PM

Yeah looks like Time Warner Cable owns all the lines there and RoadRunner and Earthlink are pretty much both bound by their policies.. so traffic shaping should spill over to Earthlink as well :/

I've never heard anything good about DSL in the area and I have some bad experience with DSL back up north here too, so I don't think I'll go that route. Looks like RoadRunner is the way to go.

Is BrightHouse the only way to get that or can I go straight through RR? Assuming both options are available - any advantage of going either way? I won't be ordering cable tv or phone service anytime so that's not an issue for me.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:42 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioda006 View Post
Yeah looks like Time Warner Cable owns all the lines there and RoadRunner and Earthlink are pretty much both bound by their policies.. so traffic shaping should spill over to Earthlink as well :/

I've never heard anything good about DSL in the area and I have some bad experience with DSL back up north here too, so I don't think I'll go that route. Looks like RoadRunner is the way to go.

Is BrightHouse the only way to get that or can I go straight through RR? Assuming both options are available - any advantage of going either way? I won't be ordering cable tv or phone service anytime so that's not an issue for me.
I think you have to go through BrightHouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: