U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 06:38 AM

141 posts, read 558,946 times

Advertisements

Read about seeing dolphins on a dog-friendly beach, and was wondering:
Once we move down to orlando, we want to start exploring ALL of Florida (have been to a lot of it, but not all of my kids have been) , where are the closest spots to see marine life in the waters? Dolphins? And when? My son would love to swim with the Manatee's, but they were closing as we headed back to orlando. We want to take him to key west for snokeling, but someplace closer would be nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 08:26 AM

4,193 posts, read 10,750,330 times
I see dolphins a lot when I go to the beach, you can see them swimming out in the ocean and if you go out far enough to about where the surfers go to surf, the dolphins come pretty close. We also take our boat on the intercostal in New Smyrna and dolphins swim right by the boat sometimes. You can't swim with wild dolphins though, but there cool to watch. and you cant swim with manatees at all.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 AM

4,167 posts, read 8,402,525 times
I was boating in Tampa Bay a couple weeks ago. Saw dolphins very close to our boat. They actually like coming around the boats.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:41 PM

26,590 posts, read 57,209,602 times
It is absolutely illegal to "swim" with any wildlife in this state. If you are swimming and they approach you, that's fine. but if you approach them, it's a heavy fine. Keep in mind that dolphins are wild animals and they BITE.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 PM

19 posts, read 32,499 times
My family and I like to walk the fishing pier at Fort DeSoto Park. Almost always get up-close views of the dolphins and it's fun seeing what the fishermen bring in.

On occasion, we rent a kayak and paddle around the mangroves. We've had manatees come within feet of our boats. Really cool!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:40 AM

141 posts, read 558,946 times
Hi,
I think I need to clarify. i don't ever plan on letting my kids get into the gulf or atlantic to swim with wild marine life or feed them (the animals could get sick or get use to people, which is dangerous for them). We have legally swam with dolphins, already, and plan to repeat that every year or so. There is a place to swim with manatees, legally, as we were there, referred by a local. I prefer to see the animals from land, and we have already in florida. I just want to know of other places than where I've been that may be closer, that the kids could see. Unfortunately, my husband will be buying a boat, but I think he wants to cruise the inter-coastal waters along the atlantic.
As for snokeling, he does not care if there are fish are or other animals, he just enjoyed snokeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando