Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:00 AM

9 posts, read 17,477 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to assess the different areas of town to narrow down which complexes to look into.

What I'm looking for is someplace safe for a single white female to live alone, somewhere relatively quiet (i.e. not a student area) but not so quiet that I'll get the cops called on me if I occasionally have people over (i.e. not an elderly area), somewhere convenient to Walmarts and Targets and grocery stores, and somewhere not too terribly far from UCF. However, the UCF part is a minimal qualifier because I don't know where I'll be working and I will likely find myself driving right from work to school and/or taking online classes. This makes proximity to UCF low on my list of priorities. Right now, living in Jacksonville, I am used to having to travel 25 miles roundtrip to get to class. I am in my late 20s and do the M-F 9-5 thing, and am thinking that if there is a part of town where grad students or young professionals tend to live then that might be a good place for me to start looking.

If you can toss out some areas of Orlando that fit the above parameters, then I can go into map view on my leasing company's website and pin down what complexes to look at from there. Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:05 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,735 times
Hunters Creek
Waterford Lakes
Downtown Orlando
Winter Garden(Unless You Want To Be In City Limits)
LBV
Southeast Orlando (Semoran, Narcoosee, Hoffner)
Alafaya Trail Area

Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Thank you!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Most welcome. You got a particular type of apartment style you like?

as in Modern
or Tropical Fancy?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 AM

Well, I'm trying to stay with my current leasing company, Equity Apartments, who hold several properties in Orlando and the viscinity. For at least my preliminary research, I'm striving to stay with them because I've been with them since 2007 and like the way they operate and assume that my move would go more smoothly if I stayed with the same company. I would consider a place that offered the same benefits of Equity Apts if it came to that (online payment and service requests, timely maintenance, accessible staff, customer service and quality policies, etc.).

In terms of the apartment itself, my main concerns are that it has Central H/AC, newer appliances, walk-in closet, w/d hookups, and no mold problems. I'm severely allergic to mold and need to be very alert to its presence or possible presence. I guess that means "modern" but I'm not wealthy so $700-750mo is my cap.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:58 PM

Ooooh, well hose areas are decent areas. The mold thing is a hit and miss type of thing. Please go visit each the ones you are interesting. I can say whatever you see online is nice but you have to check them out before you go cause there is a lot of "Hiding" with things like that here.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely have to schedule a visit there sometime soon. I've been to Orlando several times but only ever in a tourist capacity. I'm quite curious as to what it has to offer beyond the Disney district.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:01 AM

32 posts, read 76,995 times
I rent with equity and I am very pleased with them! I live in east Orlando and love my location!! There are a whole bunch of equity apts by Waterford lakes and 2 closer to downtown! They also have a few in metro west I would not live in metro west that area is terrible!!

Pm me if you need and info

Old 06-09-2010, 09:09 AM

32 posts, read 76,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaah View Post
Well, I'm trying to stay with my current leasing company, Equity Apartments, who hold several properties in Orlando and the viscinity. For at least my preliminary research, I'm striving to stay with them because I've been with them since 2007 and like the way they operate and assume that my move would go more smoothly if I stayed with the same company. I would consider a place that offered the same benefits of Equity Apts if it came to that (online payment and service requests, timely maintenance, accessible staff, customer service and quality policies, etc.).

In terms of the apartment itself, my main concerns are that it has Central H/AC, newer appliances, walk-in closet, w/d hookups, and no mold problems. I'm severely allergic to mold and need to be very alert to its presence or possible presence. I guess that means "modern" but I'm not wealthy so $700-750mo is my cap.
Look into the enclave at lake underhill since it's close to the 408 you can head anywhere quick ( ucf and downtown) auvers village would be good as well i beleve that's a winter park address but depending on where you work it could be a good option plus not to far from ucf!!

Most equity apts are having deals I know mine is even though you are renting with them now try and see what special they can extend to you it's worth a shot!!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:06 AM

I have heard from a friend of mine that Metro West is an area to avoid. Any other input on areas to avoid for safety purposes would be greatly appreciated.

The Enclave looks nice but is way too small for the price in terms of square feet. I currently pay $740 for over 1000 sq ft, so paying 800+ for 500-600 sq ft seems crazy to me. While I realise that Orlando's COL is slightly higher than that of Jacksonville, I have perused other Equity properties' websites and seen that there are comparably sized and priced units available.

To that end, what are some of the Equity apartments you'd recommend? I've looked at AptRatings.com and gotten some mixed reviews.

Valencia Plantation looks like my ideal pick, and the ratings are pretty decent, but my friend says that it's a bad part of town. Any thoughts?

Bishop Park looks decent, if a little on the smaller side. I could make it work if it was otherwise an awesome complex in which to live.

For frame of reference, my cap is $700-$750 and I prefer at least 800 square feet. Like I said, I've found properties fitting these parameters but the reviews are mixed at best. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando