U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,062 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Orlando and am closing on a house near Disney. I was wondering about Satellite TV vs BrightHouse - does satellite tv go out a lot because of storms? Does Brighthouse? We had Dish before in Texas and liked it, but I am concerned about the reception and outages. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:59 AM

2,169 posts, read 4,758,892 times
Forget satellite in Florida.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,122,288 times
We had satellite once. It went out in basically every storm! Brighthouse rarely goes out.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:52 PM

4,193 posts, read 11,083,769 times
I used to have bright house digital cable for years. its good but it did randomly go out some times, not because of a storm or anything sometimes it would just go out. This happened several times, the last time it happened they said they can't send anyone out to look at it until another 2 days. So we had no cable for 2 days and they didn't do anything about it. And when they did come they were never on time, one time they were running so late they had to reschedule for the next day. We were so fed up we left bright house. We switched to satellite and it only goes out for a few mins during really bad storms. Its only gone out 3 or 4 times since we've had it (about 6 months now) It says on during the regular after noon storms, just not the real big sever storms we get every once in awhile, and they never last more than 10 mins or so, so its not that big of a deal. Maybe since my satellite is a newer version than what brink had, it can receive signal better. And the customer service is much better too.. I've also heard at&t uverse was good.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,358,232 times
Well, Brighthouse is giving me digital cable problems as we speak, but it is not a regular occurrence.

I went to an Outback Steakhouse in the tourist district last summer and one of our typical, quick summer freak storms hit. All the TVs went out. That pretty much closed the door on satellite for me.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM

331 posts, read 999,329 times
I have had Brighthouse since the day the took over from Time Warner and have had very few issues with them. We have cable and internet with them and in the past 2 years (since I have moved into my current house), we have had only had to call Brighthouse once and that was issues with the cable boxes when we first moved in. Most people I know have Brighthouse and I have heard very few complaints overall. Brighthouse was a little behind as far as HD channels go but has been adding a lot within the last year. The On-Demand channels are great too. Many of CBS's and NBC's shows are on available to watch whenever you want within a day of original airing. I also enjoy the movies channels On-Demand as well. At my previous residence I had a problem with the box so I took it to the nearest Brighthouse office and the gave me another one, and it was an upgraded model of my previous box. Overall I really like Brighthouse and have little complaints about their service, although I really do not have anything to compare it to.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:10 PM

8,176 posts, read 17,678,563 times
I guess so far I'm the only one with very few problems with satellite. It only goes out if the storms come from the south and then it's not for very long.

I left the cable company years ago over the rising costs and am still 8 years later paying less for more.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM

69 posts, read 180,317 times
Had a bad experience with satalite where the equipment went bad and there was no warranty and had to buy equip from them for $130 . You sign a 2 yr contract and you know what happens when your in a contract and you need service. . Where cable will fix your equip and no contract . Go with cable and a DVR is a must .

Old 06-08-2010, 06:55 PM

12,017 posts, read 13,106,276 times
Anybody use AT&T DSL or U-verse? How about their bundle with DirectTV?

Thanks

Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 AM

8,176 posts, read 17,678,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Anybody use AT&T DSL or U-verse? How about their bundle with DirectTV?

Thanks

My brother has the AT&T U-verse and really likes it. He has a bundle for his TV-phone-internet.
Since I refuse to go with cable, we're going to look into the packages when we get back from vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>