U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 AM
62 posts, read 428,312 times
Reputation: 634


I am currently attending a community college in Massachusetts. I want to attend the University of Central Florida, but do not want to pay for the high-price for out-of-state tuition. I am 20 years old. If I tell my parents not to claim me on their taxes and therefor prove that I am an independent, move down to Florida, get an apartment with rent receipts, get a voter's registration, Florida driver's license, a job, prove I support 51% of my income, and get health insurance through the state of Florida, am I going to qualify for in-state tuition after 12 months? In addition to that, my FAFSA said that my estimated family contribution was $12,000 a year. Since I will be establishing myself as an independent, will the University of Central Florida look at my parent's income or just mine? If they look at just mine, does this mean that I will qualify for Pell-Grants and such since I will be considered low-income? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 01:14 PM
183 posts, read 1,218,840 times
Reputation: 275
you need to call UCF. Im not sure if you will qualify in 12 months even if you have all those things done. In Florida, untill a child is 24 years old or already has a bachelors degree they will go by your parents residence. Unless you are married, work for the state, in the military, your parents are deceased and some other things. I do believe you can get a statement from your parents stating that they do not claim you on their income tax and you have a job making your own money and they do not support you in any way. There is something called "claiming residence for tuition purposes". You can look up undergrad addmissions at UCF.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top