Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 06:21 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,185,995 times

Advertisements

Also known throughout the world as...
  • Chevrolet Frontera
  • Honda Passport
  • Opel Frontera
  • Vauxhall Frontera
  • Holden Frontera
  • Isuzu Cameo
  • Isuzu Vega
  • Isuzu Frontier

If you do, or did, how many miles are you getting between clutch replacements?

I had my first Clutch go at about 60K miles, and it has failed every 60K since. It is not so much that the clutch goes, but the clutch pedal suddenly goes to the floor and will no longer engage. I suspect that what is really happening is the release bearing is becoming dislodged somehow. Anyway, the up-shot is that it gets a new clutch.

And to make matters worse, this car had been almost bulletproof. And the clutch always fails when I am on the road - away from home with no way of fixing it myself.

I am coming up on 180K soon, and I am wondering if I should just sell it in anticipation and get another Jeep. Not that I think the Jeep is any more reliable, but I do miss having a Wrangler.
Attached Thumbnails
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo V6 4WD-1996_isuzu_rodeo.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,529,395 times
It seems to me that you don't really know how to properly use a clutch if it goes out at 60k miles. Just sayin'.

But, if the clutch pedal suddenly goes to the floor, you most likely have an issue with the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder, NOT the clutch itself. A clutch that is wearing out will start giving warning signs, such as slipping when under heavy load, under low rpm's.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:34 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,514,034 times
Yeah, that does sound like a bad clutch master/slave cylinder. You best hope it's not tucked inside the trans bellhousing to get to it.

I would sell and go for a Jeep, btw. That 3.2L is known to guzzle oil and it's not like Isuzu parts are that easy to find since they aren't in the USA anymore.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
It seems to me that you don't really know how to properly use a clutch if it goes out at 60k miles. Just sayin'.

But, if the clutch pedal suddenly goes to the floor, you most likely have an issue with the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder, NOT the clutch itself. A clutch that is wearing out will start giving warning signs, such as slipping when under heavy load, under low rpm's.
Very incisive, thanks.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Yeah, that does sound like a bad clutch master/slave cylinder. You best hope it's not tucked inside the trans bellhousing to get to it.

I would sell and go for a Jeep, btw. That 3.2L is known to guzzle oil and it's not like Isuzu parts are that easy to find since they aren't in the USA anymore.
Yea, each time it happened, i checked the clutch hydrolic reservoir and it was full. It could of course be that the slave blew out, but the repair shops indicated there was no slave problem. As I said, if I were home I would have been able to pull the trans, but they frown on that in motel parking lots.

The Rodeo has a pull type release bearing that is known to pop out of it's colar when it is wearing out. After researching a bit this appears to be a known problem.

My purpose in this thread is not really to ask why, but to ascertain what the mean miles between failures is for others who own the vehicle.

As for the oil, no problems there, as i said, this car has been bulletproof other than the clutch.

But you are absolutely right about the parts. They are so hard to find that many local mechanics wont touch it anymore.

Ah well, it gave great service for the 19 years I have owned it, maybe it is wrangler time.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands