Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times

Advertisements

Took my 2008 Suzuki SX4 to a local Suzuki dealer two days ago since it was making a loud knocking sound in the engine. Turns out that the small block needs to be replaced since the bearings are spun. I have a powertrain warranty on it that lasts up to 7 years and 100,000 miles. It currently has 67,000 miles on it. They had requested copies of oil change receipts but I only have two from the last 6 months. I told them if I find the other ones I'd bring them in. Couldn't find them. The car is meticulously maintained, I'm just missing a few receipts. I called them yesterday and asked them the status on the car, they told me they had already ordered the part and that they are waiting for its arrival. I also asked them if that would still be covered under the powertrain warranty and they said it would. It's been two days now and they still haven't called me to ask about the receipts. Because the part was already ordered, does that mean the warranty was approved anyway despite the missing receipts? I don't want to end up paying for the part if the warranty happens to be denied due to the missing receipts since I never agreed to pay for any part replacement, only for them to check to see what the problem is, since it should already be covered under the warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
No way we can tell exactly what the shop is up to. I do know some manufacturers like to have documented proof that the proper maintenance was done, so that they are not paying for repairs caused by owner neglect.

It is possible that the dealer, despite not having full documentation, took another look at the damage and determined that it did not appear that there was any neglected maintenance which would have been a potential cause of the problem.

Just keep in touch with the dealer and be sure they know you are expecting it to be covered under warranty and that you need to approve any work which would come out of pocket.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Many warranties, especially extended ones like that contain maintenance provisions. Technically they could invalidate the warranty if you are unable to prove the proper services were performed, but they would also generally need to prove that the failure was related to a lack of (or improper) maintenance.

I would suggest contacting the shop and asking them directly to clarify whether this is going to be covered under warranty or not. Also, have them provide you a written estimate that clearly identifies the portions of the repair that are being covered under warranty. Sometimes, certain aspects of a repair are covered and others aren't.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 PM

So I call them up again today and asked them about the warranty, unfortunately the guy I needed to speak to wasn't there but the service advisor had told me that the part was indeed ordered and should be in next week and that under the notes, it simply says "Suzuki warranty" on it. I'm planning to call back on Monday just to clarify this once again. Also, a written estimate that clearly indicates as such would make sense, I'll talk to them about it.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
I'd sell the car car after you get it back. Suzuki is winding down US operations

Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 PM

I just bought it December 2011 so a little over a year. I'm still making payments on it for the next 5 years. Being that Suzuki is winding down operations, what will that do to the value of my car?

Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
I just bought it December 2011 so a little over a year. I'm still making payments on it for the next 5 years. Being that Suzuki is winding down operations, what will that do to the value of my car?
Six year note

Five year old Suzuki

Ouch!

I think you're going to have to ride that one out until the end.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:41 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I'd sell the car car after you get it back. Suzuki is winding down US operations
Suzuki is not going out of business and will continue to supply parts and honor warranties (its one of the larger car companies in the world - just not successful in the US). The only snag is if the local dealer closes and the approved service facility is no longer available. That's not usually a problem since most Suzuki dealerships are multiple brand (so they're not closing over losing them). About the only thing I can see that the OP did wrong was getting a six year loan on a three year old car.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:00 AM

8 posts, read 54,524 times
I had the EXACT same engine-knocking issue with my 2007 Suzuki SX4 (74,000 miles) about three weeks ago. At first, I got a similar run-around from the Suzuki dealer about whether the 100,000-mile powertrain warranty would cover it. They initially mentioned needing service records, but I've recently moved cross-country and haven't yet come across the old ones in my unpacking.

After they took a serious look at the engine, though, they stopped asking about service records and just told me that they are replacing the whole engine. Now they are saying that everything--including the $80 I spent getting the car towed to the dealership--will be covered. My only complaint is that it's taken over 3 weeks already and it is STILL in the shop....

Up to now, I've had zero problems with my little SX4...nothing but the usual maintenance, brake pads, and a battery replacement. The car has been a champ. I too agreed to too long of a loan (not all of us have the option of shorter loans/bigger down payments, do we? ). However, the warranty was a huge selling point, and when I bought the car I calculated that the powertrain warranty would outlast the life of the loan. Indeed, the car was paid off in November; the engine started knocking in mid-January. Thank goodness it happened in the last few months of the 7-year time limit!

Now I'm figuring that, with a whole new engine, I should be able to get another 5 to 6 years out of the car. In short, if Suzuki does cover your repairs as they should--since clearly this is a common problem in this model--your investment was pretty sound. How did it all turn out in your case, neurodistortion?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
When I was dealing with these warranties, in the fine print it always said "keep accurate maintenance records and receipts" and there were times that some of these companies would not cover the repairs needed, so either find them or recall where you had them done and get copies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands