Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2024, 09:51 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times

Advertisements

While officially, BYD stands for "Bring Your Dreams", some wry industry observers have said that the moniker really stands for "Bring Your Dollars". ;-)

However, BYD has recently introduced products from a luxury division, Yangwang, and this *should* be interpreted as the "Bring Your Dollars" brand.

Last fall, they introduced their:

U8 model: "Yangwang launched its first vehicle, the U8 off-road NEV SUV, in September. The luxury off-roader starts at over $150,000 (1,098,000 RMB) but is designed to tackle any terrain with 1,200 hp, tank turns, tire blowout stabilization, and other cool features."

U9 model: "... an all-electric supercar starting around $140,000... that goes 0-60 mph in 2 seconds… Crabwalks are so passé, so BYD has upped its game with the Yangwang U9, which made its first physical debut in China after a digital launch last year. As you’ll see below, DiSus allows this all-electric supercar to dance, adjust its height, and even hop off the ground."

and they just previewed the 1,000HP U7 model: "The brand calls it a 'million-level new energy flagship sedan'."

It's still early days, but I think that even if this new luxury division succeeds, the total revenues will be modest - there just aren't a lot of buyers for cars starting well over $100k. However, much like when Honda, Toyota and Nissan introduced their Acura, Lexus and Infinity divisions, I think that part of the goal of the parent company, is to send a message to the market that says "Sure, we build inexpensive Everyman cars, but we can do this fancy stuff too" - i.e., to burnish their image.

Source article from Electrek is here:
https://electrek.co/2024/01/10/byds-...ek-u7-1000-hp/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2024, 01:23 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Particularly with EVs big HP numbers don't really mean anything. Even with established companies, I was very unimpressed with the BMW i4 when I drove that one. It's quick, nauseatingly so... but it drives like crap. It's fine for 7/10ths. Leave it in comfort mode and drive around like an old lady and it's good. It's when you want to drive it though where it falls apart. It's just bad everywhere. Throttle response, suspension tuning, stability/traction, it's like driving a Hyundai. Bad. I haven't driven the Vinfast. I wouldn't say the i4 is that bad. It's just not much better than the Ioniq 6 which is a floaty cruiser that also doesn't drive well at all when you push it past 7/10ths. That'll be where BYD will make it or break it, not on big HP numbers.

Old 01-17-2024, 07:11 AM

369 posts, read 104,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Particularly with EVs big HP numbers don't really mean anything. Even with established companies, I was very unimpressed with the BMW i4 when I drove that one. It's quick, nauseatingly so... but it drives like crap. It's fine for 7/10ths. Leave it in comfort mode and drive around like an old lady and it's good. It's when you want to drive it though where it falls apart. It's just bad everywhere. Throttle response, suspension tuning, stability/traction, it's like driving a Hyundai. Bad. I haven't driven the Vinfast. I wouldn't say the i4 is that bad. It's just not much better than the Ioniq 6 which is a floaty cruiser that also doesn't drive well at all when you push it past 7/10ths. That'll be where BYD will make it or break it, not on big HP numbers.
I agree with you on many of the big number EVs, but I got to drive a Lucid Air Grand Touring and not only was it blisteringly fast, it seriously was a good dance partner in undulating twisty backroads at speed. It really feels smaller around you the faster it goes, much like my old E38 740i Sport. A big car shouldn't handle that good, but man, it was impressive. But for $130k+ it should be impressive.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:01 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
I agree with you on many of the big number EVs, but I got to drive a Lucid Air Grand Touring and not only was it blisteringly fast, it seriously was a good dance partner in undulating twisty backroads at speed. It really feels smaller around you the faster it goes, much like my old E38 740i Sport. A big car shouldn't handle that good, but man, it was impressive. But for $130k+ it should be impressive.
I've never read anything but good things about the Lucid Air. That said, they're just not selling a lot of them (probably not the best time to sell a high end sedan), and Lucid, while it's solvent for the time being, I think its finances are a question mark once you start to look out 2-3 more years. GM or Toyota can have a dud with their first EV model(s) because they still have plenty of money coming in from their ICE vehicles, but Lucid doesn't sell anything besides the Air sedans, and they sold 6,001 of them in 2023. Yes, they're pricey, but these unit sales still won't translate to massive gross revenue.
https://techcrunch.com/2024/01/11/lu...-pure-gravity/

They do have another model in late development - the Gravity - a big crossover that's due out late this year that's said to start around $80k, and they're reported to have some smaller and less expensive models in the development pipeline, but they clearly *need* something else beyond the Air to thrive so hopefully one of the pending models will be more commercially successful for them. I think the Air has been a technical success, but it isn't making the dollars just flood into their coffers.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-18-2024 at 10:28 PM..

Old 01-22-2024, 12:04 PM

369 posts, read 104,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I've never read anything but good things about the Lucid Air. That said, they're just not selling a lot of them (probably not the best time to sell a high end sedan),
Definitely. Selling a sedan is hard now, and a luxury one in an era of high interest rates is simply bad timing, considering when they started development.

Quote:
and Lucid, while it's solvent for the time being, I think its finances are a question mark once you start to look out 2-3 more years.
They are backed by the Saudi Royal Fund and they aren't going anywhere. It's mostly an excuse to make something that can withstand the end of the oil economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands