Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,458,785 times

Advertisements

BIG movie fan, I am. So much so until in my next life, I want to be a movie director.

Over the years, I have subscribed to movie channels like SHOWTime, HBO, and the like, but found I got bored with the networks' choices. Then, I subscribed to NetFlix, and was getting three movies at a time, but found it was just wasting about $20 a month because I hardly had time to sit and watch three, back to back, to justify the price. Then, my young neighbor told me about his Roku box, and with NetFlix, he can watch movies instantly on his TV, at his convenience. So, voila!

It works perfectly for me, and our family, too.

Hubby likes documentaries and nature films, so he'll have to address those. I like most all flicks, including foreign films, the classics, and what I can recall as 'recent' movies in the theater. I'd gotten better these days in that I'll write on my calendar the titles of films as they are released into the theaters. On my to-see list: Avatar; the newest Sherlock Holmes; UP!; Sex and the City; Depp's Alice in Wonderland.

So, what have we watched recently that we enjoyed? College-aged Rdslots JR was home, so she picked. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Loved it; sweet, sentimental film full of life's lessons. I enjoyed the film format with parts done almost as old, old reels. And the humor. Brad Pitt is his gorgeous self, and Cate Blanchett plays a good role as his love interest. MR Rdslots liked it, too. His recent request was for Angels and Demons, which I didn't find near as enthralling as the first film made of Dan Brown's works.

Daughter and I also watched a mockumentary, Chalk, told in the viewpoint of teachers in a HS in AZ. While we laughed our heads off, and were saying, "OMG, is this school, or what?," I'm not sure if the general public might like it. She had never seen James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause (or does he have a cause?), and while I can appreciate the film as a classic, the melodrama and the teen angst was hilarious. I chose La Vie en Rose, about the very popular 1950-70's French songstress, Edith Piaf -- great film, albeit a sad one. The music I enjoyed so much until I've since ordered a cd of Piaf's best from B&N.

Some stunningly beautiful foreign films I've watched: Farewell, My Concubine, the story of two boys who grow up, and are trained, for the Chinese emperor's opera; The Red Lantern, the story of three Chinese wives and their lives vying for the attentions of their Chinese husband. In the same vein of these two, The Red Violin, literally the story of a famous violin maker's work, told in flash forwards, flashbacks, and real time. The Kite-Runner is worth seeing. I really enjoyed a British film, Byron. So debauched, he was. Watching it reminded me of Depp's The Libertine, and the film of Marie Antoinette starring Clare Danes.

I've also watched some classics, a lot of them made for PBS, like The Women of Cranford starring Dame Judi Dench; the recent Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightley, and some of the other Jane Austen works starring Gwyneth Paltrow. One of my all-time favorites, starring both Dench and Paltrow, is, of course, Shakespeare in Love -- a wee bit racy for the kids, but so much fun! Which reminds me I recently watched Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, an hilarious spin-off, obviously, of Hamlet. If you don't remember the play from your HS or college days, you might not enjoy it -- for me, it rated with Monty Python's silly films, but less silly, more sardonic in its humor.

I'll check my queu and see what's there, Miss Karla. I can't recall, off the top of my head, and with just one cup of coffee. That, and the three dogs are 'pointing me,' less-so-unobtrusively. to say it's time for breakfast. Wish they drank coffee. Well, maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,663,461 times
[quote=Karla with a K;14606670]Good morning everyone
Happy Monday

It is a late start for the QOTD
So I will get right to asking

[b]Today's Question(s):

Seen any good movies lately ? Last movie I sat through was, "The Hangover."

and they would be ?

Did you watch them:
On TV ?This one.
DVD ?
Theater ?

p.s. lol my Netflix Queue is really low so looking for suggestions

Bonus Question:

Do you know your blood type ? B something.

Last time you had blood drawn ? Last Winter.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever worn a uniform ? School. I was also a Red Cross Candy Striper.

Inquiring Minds Question:

Do you know what your "feels like temperature" is going to be today ? high 80's.

We will wait while you check

Just for Fun:

Nothing can beat the smell of _vinyl______?

When it comes to _______ I could definitely win the Gong Show?

Happy Flag Day! Is yours hanging?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,492,851 times
Today's Question(s):

Seen any good movies lately ? Not much of a moviegoer, but do love "Chicago"... it's the only DVD I own, and I watch it every couple of months. Never get sick of it.

and they would be ?

Did you watch them:
On TV ?
DVD ?
Theater ?

Bonus Question:

Do you know your blood type ? Yup - common old O+

Last time you had blood drawn ? About 12 months ago.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever worn a uniform ? School uniform - 45 years ago!

Do you know what your "feels like temperature" is going to be today ? Right now (11.15pm) it's 55F... feels like 'too darn cold'; tomorrow's high will be around 70F... and will feel like 'a wee bit chilly'. But it is winter here, so I shouldn't complain!

Just for Fun:

Nothing can beat the smell of chocolate!

When it comes to _______ I could definitely win the Gong Show? I'm not too sure what the Gong Show is... guessing from other posters' answers you win if you're hopeless. So ask me to sing... and I shall win hands down!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:32 AM

18,245 posts, read 25,903,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Good morning everyone
Happy Monday

It is a late start for the QOTD
So I will get right to asking

Today's Question(s):

Seen any good movies lately ? Yep!!

and they would be ? See below

Did you watch them:
On TV ? Tombstone
DVD ? Latest Star Trek
Theater ? Book Of Eli

Bonus Question:

Do you know your blood type ? Type A

Last time you had blood drawn ? Been a few months and do need to get blood checked, been putting it off lately!

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever worn a uniform ? Other than a boy scout uniform, no.

Do you know what your "feels like temperature" is going to be today ? Yep, around 75. Cold front came in Sunday-yay!

Just for Fun:

Nothing can beat the smell of _bbq______?

When it comes to being a lovable clutz_______ I could definitely win the Gong Show?

Today in History:
1775 - U.S. Army founded
1834 - Isaac Fischer, Jr. of Springfield, Vermont decided that it was time to patent one of mankind’s greatest inventions sandpaper You could say it helped change the "coarse" of history
1881 - The player piano was patented by John McTammany, Jr. of Cambridge, MA. It was patent number 242,786.
1901 - 1st golf championship is played
1923 - Recording of 1st country music hit (Little Old Log Cabin in the Lane)
1942 - Walt Disney's "Bambi" animated movie is released
1976 - "Gong Show" premieres on TV, syndicationLoved the show!
1989 - Zsa Zsa Gabor arrested for slaping Beverly Hills motorcycle patrolman
1989 - Ground breaking begins in Minnesota on world's largest mall Always wanted to see it!

Word of the Day:
quintessential \kwin-te-SEN-shel\ , adjective;
1. Being the most typical manifestation of a quality or a thing.

Today is:
National Strawberry Shortcake Day yums!
Flag Day !!!
Blood Type Awareness Day
"Pop Goes the Weasel" Day
Pig Callers Day I love it!
US Army Birthday
Hope everyone enjoys her Monday!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,055,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post

Today's Question(s):

Seen any good movies lately ? Yes

and they would be ? M*A*S*H, RHPS & Gran Torino (needless to say had seen them before, but one I hadn't since I moved here so was pretty psyched)

Did you watch them:
On TV ? Love my movie channels
DVD ?
Theater ?

Bonus Question:

Do you know your blood type ? 0+

Last time you had blood drawn ?

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever worn a uniform ? Yes, when I played basketball/volleyball in school and at my first after school job when I worked at Wendy's in the "big city" - oh and to that lady who came through the drive-up and I forgot to put the meat on your burger "I'm sorry, but I still laugh remembering you calling about it" Think that might have been the start of the 'where's the beef' phrase lol

Do you know what your "feels like temperature" is going to be today ? Well it's cloudy and will probably get some rain, so I'll say mid 60's.

Just for Fun:

Nothing can beat the smell of flowers and bread baking? I do miss my bread maker, but guess the flowers make up for it.

When it comes to ________ I could definitely win the Gong Show? Well I'm not all that talented so they would have definitely 'gonged' me, especially if I would have tried to sing lol

Today in History:
1775 - U.S. Army founded
1834 - Isaac Fischer, Jr. of Springfield, Vermont decided that it was time to patent one of mankind’s greatest inventions sandpaper You could say it helped change the "coarse" of history
1881 - The player piano was patented by John McTammany, Jr. of Cambridge, MA. It was patent number 242,786.
1901 - 1st golf championship is played not my fav sport except for a couple of major matches
1923 - Recording of 1st country music hit (Little Old Log Cabin in the Lane)
1942 - Walt Disney's "Bambi" animated movie is released
1976 - "Gong Show" premieres on TV, syndication loved that show lol
1989 - Zsa Zsa Gabor arrested for slaping Beverly Hills motorcycle patrolman
1989 - Ground breaking begins in Minnesota on world's largest mall

Today is:
National Strawberry Shortcake Day so long as it's not for those dolls
Flag Day!!!
Blood Type Awareness Day
Pig Callers Day lol yeah, jump in my crockpot you big hunk of meat
US Army Birthday
Hope everyone gets through another Monday - dang the weekend just flies and I know today will just drag like every other Monday.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:38 AM

72,435 posts, read 18,214,789 times
Today's Question(s):

Seen any good movies lately ?

Yes!

and they would be ?

Sex in the City. Real funny!

Did you watch them:
On TV ?
DVD ?
Theater ? Yes!

Bonus Question:

Do you know your blood type ? O Positive

I gave blood sometime ago. But the RedCross keeps calling! I told them I would call them and they keep calling! very annoying!
They don't listen!

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever worn a uniform ?

Yes,school uniforms

Do you know what your "feels like temperature" is going to be today ?

Maybe 100

Just for Fun:

Nothing can beat the smell of Fresh baked bread in the mornings!

When it comes to I don't watch any Gong Shows I could definitely win the Gong Show?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 AM

12,973 posts, read 3,227,331 times
Today's Question(s):

Seen any good movies lately ? I watched "It's Complicated" and that was pretty good.
Did you watch them:
On TV ?
DVD
Theater ?

Bonus Question:
Do you know your blood type ? A-
About a month ago to check my iron level, and a few other things
Extra Credit Question:
Have you ever worn a uniform ?
gym uniform in highschool days..does that count?
Do you know what your "feels like temperature" is going to be today ? warm...maybe 80
We will wait while you check- Okay...just checked forecast and it's only making it to the high 60's today

Just for Fun:
Nothing can beat the smell of lilacs.
When it comes to "blank" I could definitely win the Gong Show?

Last edited by MistyVT; 06-14-2010 at 07:53 AM..

Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,461,397 times
[quote=Karla with a K;14606670]Good Happy Monday Everybody!! Pups are going to doggie day care and I am packing, packing, packing!!!
Today's Question(s):

Seen any good movies lately ? No

Bonus Question:

Do you know your blood type ? O positive

Last time you had blood drawn ? 6 months. I donate every 2 months at home, but I missed the blood mobile here a few weeks ago.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever worn a uniform ? Yes

Do you know what your "feels like temperature" is going to be today ? About 102° I wanna go homeeeeeeeeee!!!

Just for Fun:

Nothing can beat the smell of the ocean wafting in the air on a soft, gentle breeze.

When it comes to singing I could definitely win the Gong Show?

Today is:
National Strawberry Shortcake Day
Flag Day !!!
Blood Type Awareness Day
Pig Callers Day SuuuuuEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
US Army Birthday Huah!!!!![/quote].

Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM

27,376 posts, read 27,423,838 times
Actually the last movie I watched was Miss Congeniality ii and it was okay. Came in my Netflix. Which reminds me too, I need to add more movies.
I don't know my blood type and it doesn't matter anyway because I don't take or give blood.
I've had to wear uniforms for some jobs before.
And nothing beats the fresh smell of the prairies after a rain.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,286,242 times
Good movies lately?
Oh, yes! The Blind Side. I love that movie!
Saw it in the theater and have seen it twice when
we bought the DVD.

Do I know my blood type?
Yes, it's A positive. I have known it since science class in jr. high.
We had a lab tech come one day and talk to us about "typing" blood.
Several of us were selected that day to have our blood typed.

Last time I had blood drawn?
a month or so ago.

Nothing can beat the smell of something baking with cinammon in it or the fragrance of roses on a hot day!

Ever worn a uniform?
Not exept bluebirds/Camp Fire Girls! Some of my co-workers might think my work "uniform" is my ubitquitous black slacks!

Feels like temp here today?
I try not to pay too much attention to it here in Texas in the summer. Too shocking Sometimes it's just better not to know!

Last edited by kaykay; 06-14-2010 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics