Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:25 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,783,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
maybe your humor is the reason you have ....2 ex-husbands
ouch That was not very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,459,276 times
Default all in how you look at it

Quote:
I say, Nah, this isn't why pamelaBeurman has two ex-husbands, it explains how in-the-very-devil she could have married two men to begin with!

My maternal grandmother was widowed at 50, and my cousins and I felt so sorry for her, thinking she was just too young to be by herself. We were forever trying to fix her up with some widower we all knew. We'd tease and cajole her with plans for a BIG wedding and fancy reception -- "there's Mr. So-and-So, Grandma. He's kind'a cute." She'd just shake her head no, and occasionally add, "No, thank you, Girls."

After a few years of this, following Granddaddy's death, she looked at us, just as seriously as if someone in the family had taken to their deathbed, and said, "Girls, I been married, had four children o'my own, got 'em growed, married, out o' the house. What in the devil do I want now with some man hangin' around my coattails?"

Now that I am her age, I understand completely.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:56 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,133,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I don't have a cell phone with a keyboard because I cannot see the letters without magnifying glasses which half the time I cannot find anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I have a soaping friend who lives in a rural area in WA. She is a widow and in the wintertime when she goes outside to feed her animals, she texts her DD when she leaves the house and again when she gets back inside. A good system, as she would freeze to death if she fell while outside in the middle of winter.

When I leave my son's house on a cold and snowy evening when the roads are icy, after a family get-together or something, I call when I get back home to let them know I got back home OK. Otherwise, they know to come looking for me.
Me, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Now this just beats all. I have somehow confirmed myself as my own friend on Facebook.
LOL

These are so funny and true for me. I am now 61 and always thought of myself as pretty with-it techwise; but I'm so far behind, I couldn't get caught up with a whole college degree. My cell phone I call the car phone - that's where it stays. I'll give anyone the number because I don't answer it and haven't figured out how to retrieve messages, so call the car all you want - it's nicer on the phone than I am.

I'm late deafened and can function with my hearing aids, but a phone conversation is painful for everyone. I keep saying to say it again, repeat that, spell it, oh heck, just send me an e-mail; and the other person is simply trying to say it's a wrong number! If you love me, you don't call me. So why do I have a phone? For me to call 911 or AAA or home when I have a problem. I call, watch the time, then assume it's connected and start talking. When I see the other person has hung up, I hope the message was received and hang up, too.

I have to take off my glasses to dial a number, take out one hearing aid to hear and then put the phone on speaker and hopefully not hit the mute at the same time. I've had strangers overhear my conversation and when I start saying I can't hear, they "translate" for me. It's a joke.

As for the computer -I am so dependent upon it - have it set to large type, no speakers, and my mailbox is seldom below 100 messages. It is even how my husband and I communicate when I'm having a rough day. We sit at our own computers and send IMs or e-mail.

I facebook to keep in touch with family but twitter sounds like birds and there's enough bird pooh on my car, no thanks. Now if I could just get my doctors to let me make appts by e-mail and to give me my reports, I'd be thrilled. Why are they so behind the times?!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,753,371 times
NY Annie = too funny...thanks for posting everyone

Old 07-19-2010, 03:10 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,216,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I say, Nah, this isn't why pamelaBeurman has two ex-husbands, it explains how in-the-very-devil she could have married two men to begin with!

My maternal grandmother was widowed at 50, and my cousins and I felt so sorry for her, thinking she was just too young to be by herself. We were forever trying to fix her up with some widower we all knew. We'd tease and cajole her with plans for a BIG wedding and fancy reception -- "there's Mr. So-and-So, Grandma. He's kind'a cute." She'd just shake her head no, and occasionally add, "No, thank you, Girls."

After a few years of this, following Granddaddy's death, she looked at us, just as seriously as if someone in the family had taken to their deathbed, and said, "Girls, I been married, had four children o'my own, got 'em growed, married, out o' the house. What in the devil do I want now with some man hangin' around my coattails?"

Now that I am her age, I understand completely.
apples to oranges

She stated they are her ex's and they are still alive

Old 07-24-2010, 02:57 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,230,559 times
Quote:
Now be nice! I have 2 ex-husbands because a lot of men are threatened by strong women and I just happened to marry 2 in a row. Thank God I saw the error of my ways. I have been married to a wonderful man for 15yrs who not only appreciates my strength but encourages me to extend my limits. Besides, I consider myself fortunate. Some women never receive one marriage proposal, i've had 7.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:06 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,753,371 times
See............third time is the charm!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
See............third time is the charm!
You betcha!!!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
ouch That was not very nice.
Some people are like that. Fortunately they don't bother me. I just consider it sad.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:15 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,459,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Now be nice! I have 2 ex-husbands because a lot of men are threatened by strong women and I just happened to marry 2 in a row. Thank God I saw the error of my ways. I have been married to a wonderful man for 15yrs who not only appreciates my strength but encourages me to extend my limits. Besides, I consider myself fortunate. Some women never receive one marriage proposal, i've had 7.
My first husband was the baby of three -- ten years younger than the other two. I am the eldest of three girls. Anyone see a problem with this picture?

We hadn't been married a month when he told me, over an argument about something related to the household, that there could only be one head of the household, which I logically relied, "Oh, and you have decided it will be you?" Looking back, I have NO earthly idea what he thought he wanted with me.

I have decided that the institution of marriage is just that, but with the right person -- oh, my! -- it's such a pleasure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics