U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 AM

37,457 posts, read 67,046,944 times

Advertisements

The spouse and I went to the beach on the Fourth of July, and told my mom we'd be back in time for the parade. To her "in time" meant more than an hour early so she could get a good seat, so she locked the door and went on without us. I had no house keys, no wallet, no nothing ... so we walked over to the parade -- getting there at least a half hour before the parade started -- in our wet suits, where I proceeded to give her hell. Mothers. Hmph.

(yes, I'm well aware of the fact that I'll miss her when she's gone!)

My first day on a new job I took the bus to work, and forgot the house keys. I guess I figured since I didn't need the car keys, I didn't need the house keys, either. Fortunately, both my front door and a good friend's father's house's back door used skeleton keys, and her dad's back door key opened my front door. So I get to work, realize what an airhead I am, and called her to ask: "What are you doing after work?"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,776,122 times
My soon to be wife (getting married on sat!) was in a robe early one morning. She stepped onto her 3rd floor balcony of her apartment (cant remember for what) and when to close the sliding door. Somehow she proped up the wood pole that she used to lock it in a way that when she closed the door it fell down and locked her outside. Poor thing was on her balcony for 1 hour before someone came by.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:25 AM

2,788 posts, read 4,771,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Come on now, we've all done it! Locked ourselves out of the house or the car, at times.

A hot day in summer, you proceed back to the parking lot of the grocery store with cart-full of groceries, ice cream already starting to melt, you pray like a mad man, that this one time, you forgot to lock the car doors, and when you open the car door, there they'll be! And? You can't open the door, and there's keys sitting on the passenger seat!

My most exasperating lock out: I hurriedly left my hotel one Sunday morning in Brooklyn, threw the luggage in the trunk of my rental car, and? Into the trunk went the keys, too!

Being a Sunday morning you can well imagine how costly this screw-up set me back! Thank God I didn't have a flight to catch, or it would have set me back even more.

Step up to the plate! Tell! Tell! Tell!

I was 17..my bestfriend and I went out to a party that nite...so it was well past 2am when we got back to my house..I couldnt let my dad know I was home...OH MY if he caught me coming home that late..I would of got it for sure..My friend and I tried to throw rocks at the upstairs window to wake my sister up so she could unlock the door for us..She wouldnt come to the window..so we decided to go in thru the bathroom window..We were so drunk..we kept laughing while we were trying to get in the window..So my friend tells me "you know it would be funny if your dad came in the bathroom and caught us" So that just made us laugh even more, an hour later we finally got in..I found my sister sleeping on the couch and she tells me " if you would of knocked on the door I would've let you in"
Oh them were the good ol days..

Old 09-29-2010, 12:54 PM

26,129 posts, read 28,985,314 times
I lived above a store in an old little town where you could walk everywhere. There was only one other apartment up there and a girl lived there. Then there was the huge expanse of the roof where we put astroturf, pink flamingos, lawn chairs and a kiddy pool - through her window we could bring the blender out to make drinks and the stereo speakers in the window. It was rather humerous.

So, we were hanging out up there and I was expecting something to come in the mail and ran downstairs and just slightly opened the door to reach around to the mail box. Well, I didn't quite reach it and the door slammed shut behind me - locked. So, there I was on a main street sidwalk in a 2 piece bathing suit. No wrap, no towel, no shoes. I might as well have been naked. I tried banging on the door, but I knew she'd never hear me up there.

Thank god the woman who ran the children's clothing store under my apartment was the wife of the owner and had a key to the main door, but i had to walk down the street like that and into a children's clothing store in nothing but a bikini and of course the counter was all the way to the back of the store and women were in there with their small children.

Hands down the most humiliating moment of my life. Oh well LOL.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,231,481 times
I don't know if this was exasperating but sure was embarassing. When I moved to MO I had to take a driving test to get a MO liscense. When I got through with the test I got out of the car to go inside to finish the paperwork and lo and behold I locked my keys in the car. The person that was giving me the driving test had to scrounge up a hanger and get into the car to get the keys out. This was many yrs ago before we had automatic locks etc.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:11 PM

21,019 posts, read 24,935,273 times
My 80+YO mother, sister and myself were driving down Hwy#1 in CA 8 years ago and my mother suddenly had to go to potty ASAP. We found a cut-off rest area with some porta-toilets. My mother has the scent of a bloodhound, she opened the door of this stinky toilet, and quickly exited. Never in a million years! I'll wait for the next gas station! she said.

No more than got back to the car and she panicked and trotted back to the stinky porta-toilet. "I'll just try and hold my breath as long as possible".

In she went. A few minutes later, jiggle-jiggle of the door, bang-bang on the door: Help! I can't open the door! she yelled. We both jiggled the door to no avail. More banging, jiggling, yelling: Call the police or tip it over!

With enough jiggling, she finally got it open!

The look on her face! And me, laughing so hard I could hardly stand up!

All the way down Hwy#!1 I was still laughing, with my Mom giving me punches to my shoulder, saying: That was NOT funny!

Thank God, later that day, after a couple drinks, she was able to laugh at her own expense.

And you? With this comedy, would you have laughed or cried?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:21 PM

20,799 posts, read 9,156,257 times
I run a day care and one day I took 5 of the kids out for a walk came back and realized I had (luckily) my car keys and not my house keys. There were no cell phones then. We made the most of it though and spent the afternoon in my car ... luckily there were snacks for the kids and a really good radio for tunes. We were there for over 3 hours. It was too cold to stay outside. Nothing like a good car heater....

Another time we went for a walk and again this time closed the door before I remembered I did not have my keys..we walked, called my son to come and help ~ again a few hours went by before my son got there....for some reason he walked over to the bulkhead and just pulled it up and voila it was never locked.....grrrrrr

I called it our adventure

Keys are now the first thing I check to make sure I have.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:46 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,335,587 times
My worst lock out experience was when I went for a job interview out of town one time, which was a three hour drive from home. This was back in about 1990 before cell phones were widely available. The car was a late 80's model sedan with the those old style manual door lock knobs. Anyway, after the job interview I went out to my car just outside the door and quickly discovered my keys were locked in the car. There was no pay phone in site and it was very hot outside, especially since I was dressed in a suit and tie. I had no choice but to go back inside the place where my interview was so I could call a locksmith. Just as I was about to call for help, the person that had interviewed me came out of her office and into the reception area to see what was going on. I then had to explain that I had locked my keys in my car....that really impresses potential employers!...lol. Anyway, she offered me a coat hanger and I stuck it through the window and unlocked the door. I knew I had blown that job the second I had to go back inside...lol.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:53 PM

821 posts, read 795,708 times
Locked myself out of my dorm the other day when I had a paper to hand into my professor. Took me 2 hours to track down an RA that wasn't in class to let me in and then I just caught the professor as he was leaving. Teaches me to leave last minute for class in the morning.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,231,481 times
These are great stories. Now I don't feel so bad about locking the keys in the car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics