U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 PM

20,274 posts, read 23,808,805 times

Advertisements

Come on now, we've all done it! Locked ourselves out of the house or the car, at times.

A hot day in summer, you proceed back to the parking lot of the grocery store with cart-full of groceries, ice cream already starting to melt, you pray like a mad man, that this one time, you forgot to lock the car doors, and when you open the car door, there they'll be! And? You can't open the door, and there's keys sitting on the passenger seat!

My most exasperating lock out: I hurriedly left my hotel one Sunday morning in Brooklyn, threw the luggage in the trunk of my rental car, and? Into the trunk went the keys, too!

Being a Sunday morning you can well imagine how costly this screw-up set me back! Thank God I didn't have a flight to catch, or it would have set me back even more.

Step up to the plate! Tell! Tell! Tell!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 PM

11,867 posts, read 15,376,038 times
When I was in high school (14ish), I forgot my garage door opener in the house when I left for school in the morning. Someone was usually home so I didn't think much about it. Of course, no one was home that afternoon and I waited...and waited...then panicked. I found a garden tool and hacked at the garage door panel (wood back then) until a hole was big enough for me to squeeze through. Boy did I get in trouble for that!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,291,478 times
OK, I have a funny one that I'd almost forgotten about.

I was home with the kids getting ready for company. I took my clothes off in the bedroom, wrapped up in a towel, and went to get in the shower. When I got out of the shower and went back to my bedroom, I discovered the door was locked. It was an old fashioned doorknob with no place for a key, and there was no way to wedge anything between the door and the wall to pop the lock because of the positioning of the door. I had to take the darn thing off, and it took me a good three hours.

Of all the days to be completely caught up on the laundry! There was nothing at ALL for me to put on, except that towel. And, of course, our company arrived and I had to stand behind the door and peek around and explain to them why I needed to reschedule.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:42 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,741,973 times
I can't top Maggi's but I broke my heel once climbing over my fence to get into the back yard after I had locked myself out of my front door. The gate to the back yard was locked, too. So I climbed up the fence and promptly fell to the ground on the other side, breaking my heel when I landed.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:27 AM

20,545 posts, read 27,733,414 times
I've locked myself out of a car two times in my life. But the one time that stands out the most is this:

When I was 16 I was traveling in Greece with a group of kids. We were staying at a youth hostel...cheap overnight stays with shared rooms. Anyway at this hostel the showers were outside. My friends and I went out dancing. We got back very late. I quietly went to my bed, took my clothes off, and wrapped myself in a towel to go out and take a shower. When I was done with my shower I realized I locked myself out of the room and I didn't want to wake any other women so I stayed outside in towel the rest of the night. Good thing it was warm, lol.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:02 AM

43,856 posts, read 46,298,165 times
On a cold morning when my daughter was around two years old, I went out to the car to crank it up so I could warm it up. After it was warm, I put her in her car seat, then went to the door steps to get my purse and diaper bag. When I got back to the car, not only was it still running, but it was locked with her in it. We lived in the country and it would've taken too long to break into the house to use the phone and wait for the fire dept. (This was years before cell phones.)

I couldn't think of anything to do but use the weed eater to smash out the passenger window, which was the window she was farther away from. I didn't end up going to the grocery store because it would've been too cold. I was worried my husband would be mad, but he agreed it was the best thing I could do under the circumstances.

I was also 7 months pregnant.

After this incident, I got one of those magnetic key holders for under the bumper.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 9,295,382 times
We had just finished our basement & my DH had put a lock on the door at the bottom of the stairs going into the basement. Then he locked the door with all the keys in the basement.

We had to put a rope around my youngest DD & lower her down the laundry chute so she could unlock the door.

Good thing she was a skinnie minnie!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:13 AM

889 posts, read 2,492,116 times
Thanks for sharing everyone! Those are really funny! This summer when I went to the store, I locked my keys and purse inside the car. I had to stoop to calling my mommy to come get me (I'm an adult!) She laughed, and drove me to my house to get the keys. Unfortunately, when I got home, I didn't have a house key to get inside and get the car key. :-( We call that a "goose chase." My husband had to come from the next town over with his spare set.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:37 AM

889 posts, read 2,492,116 times
When my kids were little I would drop my son off at preschool, then I would take my daughter to the convenience store to get her a piece of turkey jerky. That day, I left her in the car with it running When I got back, I realized that I had locked it. You have to know my daughter. She is hard-headed and a comedian! I told her to undo her buckle and "unlock the door for mommy." She had every intention of opening it, but not before she deliberately took off her socks, and then her shoes, and then folded the socks oh so carefully, and then placed the carefully folded socks into the shoes, and then neatly tucked the laces into the shoes..... If I had hollered at her to hurry, she wouldn't have unlocked the door. Finally, when she was done, she happily scampered over and unlocked it.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:58 AM

10,664 posts, read 8,393,733 times
I have never been locked out. But I was locked in, once.
At the time I had been dating hubby for a few months, and he had given me the key to his place, where I spent most weekends. On Monday mornings he would go to work while I slept in a little, because I had part of the day off.
One morning , as I was about to leave... it was impossible to open the door! Because hubby had locked it from the outside instead of just closing it. And the lock had some kind of security system that made it impossible to open the door from the inside if it was locked from the outside...
I called him at work - an hour drive away. He was really embarassed and annoyed. Then he found a solution. One of his friends was working in the area where hubby's place was, so he called him and asked him to rescue me! So his friend came to the apartment, rang the bell so that I could send him my key through the window, and he came to open it and let me out!
I had never met this friend before. A few years later, he was best man at our wedding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics