U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you afraid of heights?
Yes 23 79.31%
No 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:01 AM

29,214 posts, read 52,403,611 times

Advertisements

I hate heights over three stories high.

News, Canadian Man Sets Off On Four Day Journey In Helium Balloon

London, England (AHN) - A 50-year-old Canadian man has set out on the first of its kind balloon journey Tuesday, where he will fly an undersized hot-air balloon across the Atlantic Ocean from Canada to England.

AHN | Canadian Man Sets Off On Four Day Journey In Helium Balloon | July 4, 2007 (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007824657 - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 11:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 73,919,495 times
Yes, most definitely. It sucks for me whenever I take visitors into Chicago, Im the only dork that stays on the bottom floor of the Hancock or Sears Tower while everyone else heads 1,400 ft up to get a view of the city. LOL But then I come home and handle scorpions and tarantulas, go figure. LOLOL

Old 07-04-2007, 01:52 PM

11,464 posts, read 18,469,082 times
It's strange with me, I could stand on the top of a mountian, I can fly in a plane, I can go up to the top of any building but I about freak out if I'm up on something that sways or doesn't feel steady to me, rollercoasters are out, it's the height that scares me and the feeling of having no control

Old 07-04-2007, 02:31 PM

13,038 posts, read 23,521,597 times
On buildings and bridges yes ! It's really weird because I used to climb, hang-glide and still adore flying but standing of top of the Empire State building I have extreme vertigo and start feeling queazy ( which does not stop me as I still enjoy the views but still...) I had to be walked down step by step from the Eiffel Tower by friends ( too big a queue for the lift) and the see through metal steps really freaked me out ! The worst for me is suspension bridges which sway in the wind ( I started very well on the Capilano Bridge in Vancouver then somebody else stepped on it and I had to go back...)

Old 07-04-2007, 02:34 PM

53,865 posts, read 32,232,546 times
Heights don't bother me.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:36 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,230,396 times
If I have something firmly underneath me holding me up, and there is something that will keep me from falling over an edge of some high place, I'm okay with heights. But get me in an airplane or some place where I could easily go over the edge, and I'll freak out big time.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:50 PM

7,912 posts, read 11,537,787 times
Default Nope, no fear of heights...

Ages ago, (back in the late '70's) I worked on Wall Street. I remember I had to meet with a client on one of the top floors of The World Trade Center...I will NEVER FORGET the view: It was absolutely awe inspiring, as it was an exceptionally clear day, and I felt as though I could see to the other side of the world....

(A truly bittersweet memory, now, in 2007...)

Old 07-04-2007, 02:52 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,974,375 times
I'm not affraid of heights unless its likely I will fall...so bridges, tall buildings, planes are all fine with me.

Get me on a ladder and thats a completely different thing...I hate hate hate getting on a ladder.

I remember one time our beloved Salem got out of our screened in porch and I found him howling on the roof...I knew my daughter (who was pretty young at the time) would be hysterical if I didn't get him in before she woke up. I got out the ladder and climbed up AND managed to drag the cat off the roof and get him back inside.

We started calling him Houdini until we figured out how he was getting off the porch.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:10 PM

9,319 posts, read 17,849,136 times
I am far more afraid of heights than our spiders and scorpions. I just ran into a huge grey/tan spider in my front yard and I would rather pick it up and hug it than stand on the edge of the Grand Canyon. Steve. What are those big grey/tan spiders called in AZ? They are not tarantulas, but bigger than a .50cent piece.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:54 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,338,697 times
Yup, am afraid of heights.

That being said, I have flown over the ocean and it only bothered me a tiny bit.

I stay in nice hotels, usually requesting suites and u guess it, just last week was on the 26th floor.

We went to Kentucky, and I almost passed out going over the really longer bridges with deep sides.

roller coasters never bothered me

helping my dad put up a 100 ft. tower didn't bother me, I shimmied right on up that sucker!

Being in the Rocky Mountains didn't bother me, going to the Royal Gorge did, and I could not walk across the bridge.

climbing on top of my house gives me a funny little feeling, but does not stop me if I need to be on the roof for something.

climbing trees as a youngster was really fun, especially when I looked down and felt the butterflies flying all around in my tummy

climbing a tall (to me at age 4) sand dune on one of the great lakes in Michigan didn't bother me till some older bully careened over the other side and tackled me, causing me to roll all the way to the bottom!

how very weird I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics