U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,111 times

Advertisements

I am taking a class on cultural diversity and one of my assignments is to answer some questions related to my ancestory ethnic group. I traced my lineage to luxembourg and am trying to find information related to how the immigrants from that country were treated in the united states. Does anyone have information or know of a website I can goto to locate information on discrimination environmental justice issues, labor market etc?
Rate this post positively

Old 07-08-2007, 04:07 PM

7,915 posts, read 17,978,847 times
That's going to be a tough one. I've been to Luxembourg and it's just a tiny country with a typical caucasian population. I can't imagine that a nation that small is going to get much attention as far as discrimination or any kind. Most European nations didn't have any problems although the Irish did (my ancestry) during the 1800's. I would just try doing a Google search or possibly even some of our government web sites. They probably have something. Now that I think about it, you're the first person that I've ever heard say that their ancestry was from Luxembourg.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:28 PM

7,918 posts, read 11,601,648 times
Do you have the option to broaden out the topic? For instance, can you address it from the standpoint of German ancestory and culture as opposed to "Luxemborg?" --Because there's a whole lot more available vis-a-vis immigration, cultural diversity issues, etc., that way...

?

Old 07-08-2007, 04:37 PM

7,918 posts, read 11,601,648 times
Default I'm an idiot...

...Am I stupid, or what??? "Luxembourg" is a country...(I was thinking a city in Germany....) --God, I'm an idiot! I think your task is going to be that much more difficult, (duh!) as Luxembourg is so small, and the topic so specific! Any way to broaden it???

Sorry!

--An "off" day for June...

Old 07-08-2007, 08:20 PM

29,247 posts, read 49,134,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatester43 View Post
I am taking a class on cultural diversity and one of my assignments is to answer some questions related to my ancestory ethnic group. I traced my lineage to luxembourg and am trying to find information related to how the immigrants from that country were treated in the united states. Does anyone have information or know of a website I can goto to locate information on discrimination environmental justice issues, labor market etc?
Do you have a library card for your city/county? If so, try their academic databases (they should have a few specifically for ethnic-related topics)... you know that I, as a librarian, would have to suggest that! But I agree with the others, that you might want to broaden the topic - maybe write about discrimination against European immigrants in general?

Old 07-08-2007, 10:01 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,944,378 times
Is that the ONLY heritage you have? Is there another heritage you have? I would find out.

Of course, you could always make up something. I mean, the point of writing a report is to do some research and to write. You will not be graded on the teacher calling your parents to see if indeed you do have some Russian blood, but you will be graded on the content of your paper and the syntax, etc...

I always told the students that if they couldn't use the topic I gave them, then make it up so well that I am convinced it actually happened.

Dawn

Old 07-08-2007, 10:57 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,053,477 times
Are their any enclaves of Luxembourg immigants in the U.S.?
Were there any religious freedom issues in Luxembourg that might have caused some of them to come to the U.S. for reasons of religious freedom?
Could some of them have joined up with the Mormons and experienced some religious discrimination along with the Mormons which led them to leave U.S. territory and go to Utah?

Search Mormon Church genealogy records. The LDS church has one of the largest free genealogy record databases available online. Their free genealogy search ...

Mormon Church (LDS) Genealogy / Geneology Records

The Ellis Island Records Web site.

Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search

I know that the Dutch had early land claims in New York and CT that were in competition with the British. Could people from Luxembourg have been mixed in with them at all?

Or I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people from Luxembourg were mixed in with early colonists from England. The English "Companies" hired people with skills from different countries to help settle and work in the New World and they were mixed in among them.

Discrimination in the U.S. was pretty much standardized, and was based on differences of language, customs, religion, food, etc... Just imagine that they arrived in New York and were part of a huge melting pot of immigrants from over the world. They would have been instant outcasts just like everyone else. Exploited for their labor and made to work long hours for little pay. Even children were forced to work 10 -12 hours shifts in factories because there weren't any labor laws or unions at the turn of the 20th century. Or if they moved west, they probably became farmers.

Well I tried...

Last edited by sun; 07-08-2007 at 11:11 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 AM

5,653 posts, read 18,538,284 times
Were they catholic? I know in the early years - roman catholic immigrants were heavily discriminated against.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 PM

3,360 posts, read 11,754,963 times
Some of it would depend on when they came (1600's 1700's 1800's), where they settled, and what their occupations were. Census data may be of help in that regard.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:38 AM

8,520 posts, read 15,371,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
...Am I stupid, or what??? "Luxembourg" is a country...(I was thinking a city in Germany....) --God, I'm an idiot! I think your task is going to be that much more difficult, (duh!) as Luxembourg is so small, and the topic so specific! Any way to broaden it???

Sorry!

--An "off" day for June...

Last edited by 2goldens; 11-14-2009 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Thread closed- Has no value two years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.