U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 PM

43,374 posts, read 18,382,797 times

Advertisements

Happy hump day, kids! Today's Tip is how to clean leather with supplies commonly found in your home. This method is good for clothing, accessories and furniture. But DO NOT use it on suede!

Steps to Cleaning Leather

First, get your supplies together: you’ll need gentle hand soap, olive oil, and a few soft, clean rags. Before you jump into cleaning your whole couch or that stain on the front of your jacket, it’s important to test the cleaning method from start to finish in a small, hidden place, just to make sure it won’t lighten, darken, or dry your specific piece of leather.

Dampen a rag and apply a little soap. Get the whole rag wet if you’re cleaning a large area, but for small stains just a corner of the rag is fine. The rag should be just slightly damp, not soaking wet; squeeze out any excess water before pumping a small amount of hand soap onto the rag.

Rub the rag against itself a little to work the soap into the cloth before you begin cleaning. You don’t want to apply a glob of soap to a piece of leather. Instead, gently rub a light lather onto the leather until it appears clean.

Next, slightly dampen another rag to wipe any soap residue from the leather. Because even finished leather is not completely water-repellant, you should never rinse it with a very wet rag or by running water directly over it. Using a rag with a minimal amount of water on it protects the leather from absorbing enough water to become damaged.

Use a dry rag to remove the light film of excess water that may be on the surface of the leather after rinsing. Before moving on to the next step, it’s a good idea to also let the item sit for a few minutes to air dry in case the leather has absorbed water during cleaning.

Finally, you should always condition leather after cleaning, since the soap will have removed some of its natural oils. This is where the olive oil comes in. Put a very small amount of olive oil on a dry cloth and rub it into the leather. Using too much oil will make the leather greasy or sticky and attract dirt, so it’s crucial to apply only a tiny amount; if the leather is darker or shinier after oiling, you’ve used too much.

http://www.howtocleanthings.com/how-...an-leather.htm
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:17 PM

31,304 posts, read 31,315,069 times
I don’t know why some of these bikers gangs don’t use this tip and clean up a little.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:25 PM

7,199 posts, read 7,411,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Because even finished leather is not completely water-repellant, you should never rinse it with a very wet rag or by running water directly over it. Using a rag with a minimal amount of water on it protects the leather from absorbing enough water to become damaged.
I never knew that. Seeing how I never saw cows carrying umbrellas when it rained, I always assumed they were waterproof.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:34 PM

43,374 posts, read 18,382,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I don’t know why some of these bikers gangs don’t use this tip and clean up a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I never knew that. Seeing how I never saw cows carrying umbrellas when it rained, I always assumed they were waterproof.
Such a couple of comedians you are.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:35 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,063,533 times
My wallet needs cleaned. It's mint green.
I have a feeling, by the time I get a round to it.
It will be forest green.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:44 PM

114,834 posts, read 62,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbytabby View Post
My wallet needs cleaned. It's mint green.
I have a feeling, by the time I get a round to it.
It will be forest green.
I like mine to be the color of money!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:01 AM

42,841 posts, read 57,276,800 times
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. Gimme a jacket to take to the cleaners.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:08 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,180,759 times
Great tip Pam. Don't have leather furniture but I know I have a leather jacket somewhere

Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 AM

11,874 posts, read 10,621,138 times
Great tips, but no leather here. OMG would Shredder have a field day

Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 AM

43,854 posts, read 48,594,564 times
My special leathers are safely hid in a box in my closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics