Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:39 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,387,994 times

Advertisements

Here in my town we have had people stealing copper from cellphone towers.

News, Copper Thieves Die Trying

PASADENA, Md. — Firefighters weren't sure what was causing the smoke rising from a former discount store in this Baltimore suburb. The place had been abandoned for years, the interior stripped to the walls.

When they got inside July 2, they found it coming from a grisly source: a 41-year-old man who became engulfed in flames and died after cutting through a high-voltage line.

FOXNews.com - Copper Thieves Die Trying - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News (http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Jul16/0,4670,CopperDeaths,00.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 06:12 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,453,261 times
Yes, there have been reports of copper thefts from construction sites and nameplates stolen from memorials and statues. Do you think it is true that the war in Iraq is driving up the prices?

Old 07-17-2007, 06:49 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,611,320 times
Swiping metals has been going on for quite some time. Manhole covers, roadway guard rails, farmland sprinkler pipes, anything aluminum and even fire hydrants were getting purloined in my old neck of the woods on a regular basis. The latest trend seems to be the catalytic converters from your car's exhaust system! If you get in your car, turn the key and all of a sudden your vehicle sounds like a race car....you've been had!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,273,878 times
I see it quite often in our police blotter,infact there was one in there this morning.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:33 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,360,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Here in my town we have had people stealing copper from cellphone towers.

News, Copper Thieves Die Trying

PASADENA, Md. — Firefighters weren't sure what was causing the smoke rising from a former discount store in this Baltimore suburb. The place had been abandoned for years, the interior stripped to the walls.

When they got inside July 2, they found it coming from a grisly source: a 41-year-old man who became engulfed in flames and died after cutting through a high-voltage line.

FOXNews.com - Copper Thieves Die Trying - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News (http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Jul16/0,4670,CopperDeaths,00.html - broken link)

This happened in my area, The parking lot was still lit up and a lot of truckers would park there because of this but since this happened with this guy, he blew out all the lights.

The paper is always filled with people stealing wire from construction sites and out of the vehicles themselves when they are parked at their house.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:08 AM

667 posts, read 2,879,593 times
yes, they are stealing it here also.

Even more unusual, they are also beginning to steal catalytic converters off of vehicles.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:48 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,329,827 times
Yes, they're stealing copper in east Tennessee. A couple of alleged thieves just made the front page of the paper the other day here.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:44 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,889,399 times
Default Stuff besides copper...

In Ohio, thieves have been known to strip houses of aluminum siding off abandoned homes...even gutters and downspouts.
Then the losers cash it in for drug money.

I'm sure this is not exclusive to Ohio. When I was in CA, I heard about it there too.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:47 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,784,976 times
I live in "high crime" Broward County and this is NOT occurring in my area. I hear about this all over the country, but I haven't heard about it here.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,012,161 times
As mentioned, yes, this has been an ongoing trend. However, no, the Iraq war has not much bearing on the demand for Copper [however, for the elements used to alloy with Stainless Steel, that is another story,,, ] - that demand is mainly driven by China and commodity traders, what with the industry players juggling owners, etc. Darwin's law is at work, all over the globe, not just this country, sometimes with sad effects:

Pipes and air conditioners are being stolen from homes and churches -vacant, under construction, and occupied.

Thirty-four brass panels from a WWII memorial were stripped earlier in July - in Guam.

In Honolulu parks, thieves last year stole $10,000 worth of brass toilet flush valves.

Copper wiring stoled from the Shedd Park and Cawley Stadium, Lowell, MA.

Ohio, Maryland, and Wisconsin report that brass plates and Copper urns are being snatched from cemeteries.

In eastern France, 600 yards of Copper cable were stolen - cutting off phone service for two villages.

In Kentucky, similar situation, with 200 feet taken.

Copper parts from irrigation machinery in California is also being ripped out.

In March, two men were electrocuted as they tried to cut through high-voltage wire in Tyngsboro, MA.

Two men in Arkansas dead:
Arkansas News Bureau - Legislation addresses copper theft rise (http://www.arkansasnews.com/archive/2007/04/01/News/341509.html - broken link)

One man in Detroit dead:
Man dies trying to steal copper in Detroit (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070604/NEWS01/70604015/1003/NEWS01 - broken link)

And many others have died, and others will surely follow...

ps: no, I do not have morbid curiosity about this; rather, as a metallurgist, and one that is working in the Copper industry, am aware of these happenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics