Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times

Advertisements

We had a post about the depression this time of the year brings, now lets talk about the most wonderful thing about this time of the year.

For me, its the smell of Christmas, its a nutmeg smell of eggnog, and a cookie smell, there is a pine smell from the tree, and a smoky smell from the fireplace. No other time do I smell these things, and if I catch the scent in the middle of summer, it always reminds me of Christmas

I also love the first snow, where the city turns white (for about 30 mins)
and the snow makes a crunch crunch sound under your feet
the sound of the flakes falling, and the laughter and screams of kids playing in it.

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:15 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
One Christmas it snowed late at night and everyone had gone home and around 2 in the morning I went to take the garbage at the curb and the quiet from the snow was so obvious and peaceful. The houselights were subdued by the dusting of snow on them and then I heard it. A heavy breathing in the area across the street. I looked up and there was a rather large deer in my suburban neighborhood with the pointed antlers galloping across the front yards and a slow pace and I followed him with my eyes only to see a whole herd gathering of deer at the corner, waiting for him, if you will, until they all crossed the street to the woods together. It was as if they were reindeer and were done with their duties and heading home for the evening. It's one of the most beautiful Christmas memory I can remember.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
One Christmas it snowed late at night and everyone had gone home and around 2 in the morning I went to take the garbage at the curb and the quiet from the snow was so obvious and peaceful. The houselights were subdued by the dusting of snow on them and then I heard it. A heavy breathing in the area across the street. I looked up and there was a rather large deer in my suburban neighborhood with the pointed antlers galloping across the front yards and a slow pace and I followed him with my eyes only to see a whole herd gathering of deer at the corner, waiting for him, if you will, until they all crossed the street to the woods together. It was as if they were reindeer and were done with their duties and heading home for the evening. It's one of the most beautiful Christmas memory I can remember.
Now that would have been great to see.

Actually it was a male herding his ladies together. Rut season was going on then. It has started here too.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
...Actually it was a male herding his ladies together. Rut season was going on then...
And now back to the homey smell of cookies and pinecones.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
the music. it just brings a generally nice warm feeling and evokes pictures in my mind of the old holiday movies with horse drawn carriages and happy get togethers.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:09 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
I love listening to Christmas music while baking/decorating cookies.

I make the best sugar cookies (no really, I do!) and I just get into the zone when I'm decorating them. The house could be burning down around me and I wouldn't notice. It's my "happy place"

I also love the smell of impending snow, when the air gets cold, dry and crisp and you can smell it on the horizon.

Sitting in the family room, lights dim, with a hot beverage enjoying the decorations and "fireplace" (we have a candleabra in there) is a favorite. It is so relaxing!

Oh yes, and egg-nog in my coffee instead of half and half

Old 11-30-2010, 10:12 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
This is the best time of the year, I love Thanksgiving and Christmas, much to be thankful for this year.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,710 times
This time of year I tend to remember that I am fortunate and should feel very lucky. I appreciate my family and friends, the roof over my head, food in the cupboards, and especially my daughter. To me the season is about children laughing and their anticipation and the magic they feel. That kind of excitement and joy is contagious!

Living in this area, this is the time of year I get to pullout some of my favorite things to enjoy- warm fuzzy sweaters, candels, and making some of my favorite soups and stews.

To he ll with all the shopping, constant bombarding of advertisements, over crowded malls, over spending. When I think back to happy holiday Christmas memories I don't remember the gadgets or stuff unwrapped, I remember moments. Laughing with my cousins till we cry, pulling pranks on Aunt Dee, the joy in my daughters face, seeing my parents happy, healthy. Those kinds of things.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:20 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Now that would have been great to see.

Actually it was a male herding his ladies together. Rut season was going on then. It has started here too.
Actually, it was a mixture of both and they come up from the river, after all the home and condo building on the river line, and chew the bark off the trees and vegetation in people's yard and you can even see them walking down the sidewalk, really out of place, during the day here.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
How a Christmas tree looks all decorated and lit up.

Chocolate and peppermint. Best combo ever.

A specific smell in the air on a cold, crisp day. I can't really describe it, but I am instantly reminded of being a little girl at my grandparents' house up in Big Bear. Pine and wood smoke?

Singing Christmas songs. FIIIIIIIVE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD RINGS!

Shopping for gifts and finding funny little things I know people will like. My uncle is getting Baconnaise. Baconnaise® The Ultimate Bacon Flavored Spread from AmericanSpice.com - AmericanSpice.com (http://www.americanspice.com/catalog/20199/Baconnaise_The_Ultimate_Bacon_Flavored_Spread.html - broken link)

The sound of snow falling on an otherwise silent night.

Flying down a hill on a tube or saucer, hitting a bump and launching into the air.

Furry boots.

Baking cookies and bread to give to people.

Taking the kids to see Santa. (The two smaller ones are still totally into it, and the older one is a good sport.)

How the trees in my backyard look after a powdered-sugar snow, when every twig is covered.

My neighborhood decked out in lights and decorations. Guess what we're doing this weekend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics