Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:49 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,779 times

Advertisements

A single, childless girlfriend of mine recently sold her house, her car, and quit her job, to travel the world. She said she doesn’t know where she’ll end up or how she’ll afford to live there, but she just wants to GO.

I was so shocked that she would give up everything she has here, for the chance to follow her lifelong dream.

I find it to be incredibly brave and exciting!!! No plan, just going to go and see where life takes her!

A lot of others might find it stupid.

Have you ever done anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Oh, yeah! And bite my as@ every day on this account!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:10 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
No, but then again, it's never been my life's dream to run away. If it had been, I'm sure I would have made it happen.

ETA: As far as accomplishing any of my life's dreams, well, sure. From the time I can remember, I dreamed of becoming a writer, and now I am a writer. I also dreamed of one day being a parent and having a family. Those have been done as well. I have tons of lifelong dreams I've fulfilled.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:12 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
I don't know if I could ever do something like that, but it sounds wonderful.
I have set high goals for myself and achieved them.

So I have fulfilled a big dream

But I think I would be too scared to just sell everything and "take off"

Jonathan

Old 11-29-2010, 06:23 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
That seems a bit reckless actually...but if it makes her happy lol...

Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
I respect the hell out of your friend. Sure, it's not smart financially, it's not what someone is "supposed to do" but when all is said and done she'll have lived and enjoyed life more than most. Wish I could take life by the balls like her.

Since September of '88 I had a dream to live in AZ. Back in July I quit my deadend job and packed my car. Love it here. Oddly enough my other option was doing what your friend has done. Still kinda wish I had done just that. Especially with the way things are now. Live it up before this world falls apart for good.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:30 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
A single, childless girlfriend of mine recently sold her house, her car, and quit her job, to travel the world. She said she doesn’t know where she’ll end up or how she’ll afford to live there, but she just wants to GO.

I was so shocked that she would give up everything she has here, for the chance to follow her lifelong dream.

I find it to be incredibly brave and exciting!!! No plan, just going to go and see where life takes her!

A lot of others might find it stupid.

No disrespect to your friend, but that's not very smart @ all. But hey, if she's making it so far than more power to her. Everything I wanted to achieve, I've done it. For example, I set a goal to get my Bachelor's Degree and MBA degree in 4 years with honors and I did it; undergrad degree in 3 years, MBA in 1. I wanted to do powerlifting meets and I'm doing that as we speak (me and a friend have our pro cards and have been invited to the Arnold Classic 2011). I've got the heart of a lion and the go of a go-getter.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:31 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
My big dream is just to be happy and comfortable (financially speaking.)

Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I did that. We were getting ready to move back to the city from the country and since we had to sell the house anyway, we decided to take a little detour. Our family of 4 took off and in 11 months we hit 15 countries, including Oz, NZ, Thailand, Vietnam, Turkey, Greece, Egypt, Italy, and all over Europe in a car. It wasn't as expensive as you might think b/c we did a lot of camping (yeah, I lose most enviers on that one!), and cooked most of our meals unless it was a country where stuff is cheaper. In SE Asia we mainly stayed in hotels and ate at restaurants, but most of OZ, NZ, and Europe was camping. I continued to homeschool the girls and they had the best science and history labs ever. We did geometric proofs and the Pythagorean theorem while on a ferry from the home isle of Pythagoras.

Highlights of the trip included: Seeing wildlife in Oz like koalas, kangaroos, the crazy bird life, and turtles laying their eggs on the beach. Getting up in the middle of the night to pee while in S. NZ and cursing all the way there b/c it was soooo cold and then looking up to see the most magnificent night sky I'd ever seen or will see. Halong Bay in Vietnam--it's otherworldly. Turkey--oh I love Turkey--the food, the people, the scenery, the antiquities, the culture, . . . Greece--beautiful for many of the same reasons, but let's add the Greek Isles and riding a ferry. The food in Europe--to die for. And the most amazing little place in Spain--wasn't even in the guidebook but it was wonderful--The Piedra Monastery. If anyone can figure out how to count waterfalls there must have been over 100.

I know it's not for everyone, but I also know a lot of other people who would like to go but can't leave for various reasons. We never drove a car that wasn't embarrassing and I get most all of my clothes from the Goodwill, so that saves a lot of expenses. I would go again in a heartbeat and so would my girls. If travel is a priority, you will give up a lot of other things to do it and who's to say that the trip of a lifetime is of less value than a new car? I might add that part of the reason that my daughter got her scholarship is b/c she wrote of her travel experiences in her college essay, so this was not an entirely stupid move on our part. Oh, and the best part? No debt!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I did that. We were getting ready to move back to the city from the country and since we had to sell the house anyway, we decided to take a little detour. Our family of 4 took off and in 11 months we hit 15 countries, including Oz, NZ, Thailand, Vietnam, Turkey, Greece, Egypt, Italy, and all over Europe in a car.!
Wow! That's great! Lucky you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics