Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:38 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,714,965 times

Advertisements

In the religion forum there have been many threads created on homosexuality. I've seen many members post that if being gay were a choice they would choose not to be gay. I have heard this same comment from many people I've known throughout my life.

When I read these posts and hear these comments I get a mixed message in that they don't want to be gay, but then they enjoy being gay. Can anyone help unmix the message for me?

And please, this is not a religious thread so please try and keep it forum specific.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:46 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,219,539 times
Perhaps they would choose to be considered "normal" in the eyes of those who condemn them now, rather than choose to not be who they are.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:05 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,231,341 times
I don't believe in the whole gay/lesbian thing. It simply goes against biology. Though, I have heard an interesting theory from a friend of mine... that it's a population control mechanism in place in order to keep us from becoming overpopulated. I don't know if that's really the case, but I believe that there's no such thing as a gay gene or anything like that. Could've been a bad experience with the opposite sex and they made it out to be that they prefer members of their own sex, so yeah I think they're confused and/or ashamed about their sexual identity.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,859,651 times
I can’t speak for the gays and I probably shouldn’t try too. Their gender is between their legs, but their sexuality is between their ears. Their minds are thinking and feeling what and who they are and it has nothing to do with their physical organs. I believe I heard this somewhere and it sounded reasonable in thought at the time.

However,,,,, if people didn’t feel uncomfortable with who they are then maybe things would be different for them. I can’t imagine the prejudice towards a gay, and how hard it would be for them. Why can’t people just accept each other for who they are? It’s so simple if we just think of each other as being “spiritual beings” in human form. If you didn’t react to their physical appearance and accepted them just for being who they are maybe their lives and how they feel about themselves would be different.

I (we) certainly should be the last ones to judge them. As with everyone, if you knew the spiritual being of each human, we would be such a different group of humans.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 15,305 times
Default I believe that it is confusing

When you study the way that they have sex. I mean seriously what is the point. I hope this is not too vivid. But why use prop and toys to get the job done when you can have all of that with a man and a woman. I believe that being gay is just another way that some people use to bring excitement to thier sex life. I also believe that part of the reason that it is so exciting is because it is not accepted. Just like have sex with many partners was exciting when it was new and now that it s more of the norm the excitement is not the same so now they have to move it up another level. Why not do the forbidden let man love man and woman love woman. Of course all of the psych are going to say that it is normal because this in someways promote what their professions if they can keep it going. I don't believe that you are born that way. There is always something that drives a behavior in all human beings. For some the event happened so early in life that they can't remember if they tried but the mind did not forget. The mind form its own interpretation of it and that is what drives that behavior. It doesn't always have to be a tragic event. It could have been something they saw anything like that.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 AM

13,905 posts, read 3,375,573 times
I think that this issue is being oversimplified. When we talk about being gay, we are not talking about sex excusively. I find the best way to understand people is to use a reflection of myself. I love men. The thought of making love to another woman makes me cringe. If you put a gun to my head and told me that I had to, I wouldn't be able to do it. When I first became a professional I was subjected to four days of phycoanalysis testing. Part of that testing was a femminity/masculinity test. The result were rated on a graph with a median line. If you were masculine your score was above the line, if you were feminine your score was below the line. When my results were scored, I landed ON the line, half way between being femmine and masculine. I was told that this was very rare and that with one change of a chromosone I could have been a boy. I think to myself, what if I had been born in this female body with that one chromosone over the line. What would it be like for me. Would I have then been gay? Anyone who has ever fallen in love knows that the heart wants what the heart wants and it is seldom within our contol. As a man, what would happen if someone told you that you had to love another man? What if you suddenly woke up in a world where that was normal. What if they told you that you had to kiss them and hold them. Could you? Even though it goes against the very fiber of your being? That's what it must be like being gay in this society. If we could truly choose with just our minds we would never choose the path that would bring us the most heartache and abuse that we could find. Being gay is not about who they choose to have sex with, it has to do with who they love. We are asking them to spend their whole lives never knowing love, because we have decided that only one form of love is acceptable. That is the saddest thing I can imagine.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:12 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,897,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy1979 View Post
When you study the way that they have sex. I mean seriously what is the point. I hope this is not too vivid. But why use prop and toys to get the job done when you can have all of that with a man and a woman.
Are you seriously insinuating that it's gay folks that buy all of the sex toys? I'm almost positive the majority of sex toys/props are bought by heterosexuals, usually in a stable relationship, and would therefore say that just (the act of) "a man and a woman" (together) is not neccesarily always adequate for a healthy and enjoyable sexual relationship, even when the relationship is between a man and a woman...

OP- I would imagine that it would be very hard to be gay- simple life goals (marriage, children) are not yet even legal for you to think about, along with the insane amount of people who think they know how to "cure" you or otherwise will never accept who you are without thinking you SHOULD be another way. It takes a heck of a lot of courage and perserverance for people to "come out" as homosexuals or live an openly gay life (for males much worse than females, i think...), and I can only imagine that you have to be on guard most of the time, waiting for someone to either put you down or beat you up (or beat your kids up, or your partner) for doing absolutely nothing to them.. I can completely understand what is meant when some say they wish it were different- I wouldn't want to have to live like that either....

Old 07-11-2007, 09:51 AM

786 posts, read 1,175,116 times
Why would one who was not gay need to have this issue "un-mixed" for them? I'm not gay, and I don't need to have the message unmixed, because I really don't care if someone else is gay or not.

So why would this question come up?

Last edited by Hoosier; 07-11-2007 at 11:03 AM..

Old 07-11-2007, 10:59 AM

283 posts, read 1,290,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I don't believe in the whole gay/lesbian thing. It simply goes against biology. Though, I have heard an interesting theory from a friend of mine... that it's a population control mechanism in place in order to keep us from becoming overpopulated. I don't know if that's really the case, but I believe that there's no such thing as a gay gene or anything like that. Could've been a bad experience with the opposite sex and they made it out to be that they prefer members of their own sex, so yeah I think they're confused and/or ashamed about their sexual identity.
I always find it humorous when someone doesn't "believe in" homosexuality, as if it is the Easter Bunny or something.

I doubt that someone who "doesn't believe" in it can accurately comment on reasons why someone may or may not be inclined to be homosexual, or on why they might feel a particular way about it.

No offense intended, just an honest observation.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,231,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
I always find it humorous when someone doesn't "believe in" homosexuality, as if it is the Easter Bunny or something.

I doubt that someone who "doesn't believe" in it can accurately comment on reasons why someone may or may not be inclined to be homosexual, or on why they might feel a particular way about it.

No offense intended, just an honest observation.
I don't profess to know exactly why people say they're gay. I'm throwing around some ideas.

Besides when I say "believe in" I am not using those words in the same way as the easter bunny... word choice isn't very important to me, and I always find it humorous when someone nitpicks on the words I use.

EDIT: i realize I'm not being clear. I meant to say that I don't buy into the idea that some people really are gay.

Last edited by DCNative; 07-11-2007 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.