Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:21 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times

Advertisements

Hi, kids! I hope you all had a great weekend! Today's Tip is another about houseplants. Scroll on down.....

Going on vacation? Keep your houseplants hydrated!

Here are a few hints on how to keep your plants hydrated when you are away from home for a week or longer.
  1. Wick your smaller plants with a strip of paper towel from a cup of water to the plant. Wet the paper towel before applying.
  2. Tent your plants with clear plastic bags. Moisture will be kept in, as in a terrarium, and this can keep your plants moist for a few weeks.
  3. Save small plastic bottles from various liquid products. Thoroughly water the plants. Then cut the bottoms of the bottles off and then bury the bottles neck-end down in the soil. Fill the bottles with water. They will release the water gradually as your plants need it. For larger plants, simply use larger bottles.
You can actually find in stores decorative blown-glass globes with long tubes on the end of them for watering as in #3 above. I've got two of these, and they're not only functional but pretty! They were purchased for about six bucks at Menards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Great tips Pam! The plastic bag tent helps in rooting new plants also. Keeps the leaves hydrated while the roots are forming. I've seen the glass globe water-ers too!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:50 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
So what you’re saying is to avoid putting all of the house plants in the bathtub and spaying them down with water and placing a plastic cover over everything for a couple of weeks?

You’re hit sounds like it should help a lot while leaving home for a short period of time.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:43 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,258 times
Love this tip, Pam!!! You rock!!!

Thanks!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 11:35 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,166 times
houseplants, I usually put them in the sun during the day.Placed inside the house at night.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:37 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Be careful, overwatering is the #1 cause of plant failure.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:24 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,414,906 times
Great tip Pam

Old 12-06-2010, 05:31 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I've done this and it works. I used it for my new vegetable plants last spring. I put them all in a big plastic container and added some water to the bottom of the container. I used big skewers and stuck them o the dirt of the plants. I read that you shouldn't let the plastic touch your plants. Then I wrapped the plastic wrap over the skewers and taped it all closed. I was gone for a week and my plants stayed healthy.

Thanks Pam.

Here's what one looked like.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:57 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,043,447 times
Great tips, Pam. I don't have any for obvious reasons (the boy), plus with all of the plants and flowers I see from my windows don't need them inside. I didn't think of the whole tent thing back in CO, but did fill a deep tin pan with water if we were only gone for around a week - any longer then we'd have a neighbor come in and water them.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:04 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Hi, kids! I hope you all had a great weekend! Today's Tip is another about houseplants. Scroll on down.....

Going on vacation? Keep your houseplants hydrated!

Here are a few hints on how to keep your plants hydrated when you are away from home for a week or longer.
  1. Wick your smaller plants with a strip of paper towel from a cup of water to the plant. Wet the paper towel before applying.
  2. Tent your plants with clear plastic bags. Moisture will be kept in, as in a terrarium, and this can keep your plants moist for a few weeks.
  3. Save small plastic bottles from various liquid products. Thoroughly water the plants. Then cut the bottoms of the bottles off and then bury the bottles neck-end down in the soil. Fill the bottles with water. They will release the water gradually as your plants need it. For larger plants, simply use larger bottles.
You can actually find in stores decorative blown-glass globes with long tubes on the end of them for watering as in #3 above. I've got two of these, and they're not only functional but pretty! They were purchased for about six bucks at Menards.
Hmmm... Does that also work for artificial plants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics