Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,200,764 times

Advertisements

All of the guest Peevers who have preceded me this past week during Suncoast Guy’s absence have set the bar really high……so high I can’t even begin to reach it. So the Peeve today, which happens to be one that peeves me every Christmas season, is going to be more mundane.

For many of us there are people we hear from only once a year—perhaps a friend from long ago, perhaps a relative. To open the envelope and find nothing more than a card with a signature inside is—disappointing? Insulting?? If I am worth the postage, why am I not also worth a couple of lines to let me know what has happened in your life the past year? I have to wonder why such people even bother to send a card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,414,603 times
You actually like the novels sent in the cards

Old 12-27-2010, 06:09 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,018,728 times
I don't know, my Dad got a letter (Christmas) from my cousin in Wa. State and I had no idea what she was talking about or who she was talking about, seemed very impersonal. The only people that would get it would be people that are in her life now. A couple of lines that were personal, like, thinking of you, how are you, blah blah, would have been much better. Don't like the family letters especially to relatives!

Old 12-27-2010, 06:10 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,042,891 times
Even with e-cards where there is music and a 'verse' I always customize it with a personal message. Though must admit that this year I called people and didn't send any cards - the previous years when I did, I always put a special something from me to them.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:35 AM

560 posts, read 915,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
If I am worth the postage, why am I not also worth a couple of lines to let me know what has happened in your life the past year? I have to wonder why such people even bother to send a card.
OK I'll probably get a "bah-humbug" for this but here goes....

Yes, I love to get a special line or two from old friends or far away family, and I try to make the cards I send personal with a few lines. But do we really need the typewritten, 2 page "family newsletters"?
I usually keep up with those closest to me so I don't need updates. If you have something important to tell me, write me a letter, give me a call, or drop an email when the event occurs. Don't wait 'til December to send me a generic, impersonal, one-size-fits-all newsletter. Most of those we receive are from people we hardly even know...and I won't save the photo of "kitty or doggy" that was enclosed. "Tacky" is the word that comes to mind. Reminds me of someone who sent out typewritten, addressed to all, thank-you notes for a wedding gift!! Geez....

I guess this really isn't a "peeve"...and I'm really not a "grinch".

Old 12-27-2010, 06:48 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,669,885 times
We try to keep people informed with a short (less than 1 page) note. The year that I had back surgery, heart attack, open heart surgery and Nancy broke her arm I thought the letter sounded like a medical report so I wrote it through the eyes of Buster, our dog. Buster actually had people send her Christmas presents.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
You actually like the novels sent in the cards
Lol not a novel but a line or two is nice.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
I just look for a check or gift card.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:53 AM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
CB, agree with your peeve, we're like you from the old school.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:33 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,580 times
I agree..a short personal note is just fine. I am not fond of those long "we are all so wonderful at our house newsletters". I remember reading one from a relative that had sent three pages a special "item" per week in her life for 52 weeks...She didn't send it the next year, so I guess she "heard" about it through the family grapevine. Great peeve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics