Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 09:37 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,429,886 times

Advertisements

I've been lucky here in Tennessee not to have been in a bad hail storm yet.

Video of Hail, up to baseball size.

YouTube - Hail, up to baseball size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:09 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,202,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've been lucky here in Tennessee not to have been in a bad hail storm yet.

Video of Hail, up to baseball size.

YouTube - Hail, up to baseball size

Yes, I have in Central Texas. It was much worse than depicted in that video. I had to have a new roof twice in three years and the ground was covered with white hailstones in various sizes.

The pictures below are of a tornado near my home in the year 2000 and my son holding two sizes of the hail, a golf ball and a baseball, that were produced from that storm. He happened to be able to watch the tornado from across the highway where he was working. Luckily that year, I was spared from the hail although I was down in my storm cellar when the tornado warning was issued for my area. Actually, people I didn't even know came running for my cellar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/12000.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/22000.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/32000.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/42000.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/52000.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-16-2007, 05:36 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,916,087 times
WOW... and you people think earthquakes are bad! I'd take an earthquake over tornados or hail so big it could kill you!

Old 07-16-2007, 05:48 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,202,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
WOW... and you people think earthquakes are bad! I'd take an earthquake over tornados or hail so big it could kill you!

Hey, I hear you. I'm a transplanted Californian living in Texas and have been in one humdinger quake and I, too, will take earthquakes over large hail and tornadoes any day. That tornado I posted along with the hail was too close for comfort.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:14 AM

667 posts, read 2,881,354 times
No, luckily I have never been in a hail storm that bad. However, the last one that I was 'in' the some of the hail was a little smaller than golf balls. Kinda redneckish but the wife and I were out on our porch at 11pm having some good German beer watching the lightning show when we started getting hit by the hail.

We managed to stay outside for about the first ten minutes before we had to go inside.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:19 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,224,808 times
We get hailstorms here in VA every now and then. they're usually small, size of marbles. But I did get one that dropped a ton of hail a little bigger than golfballs... it was awesome! but that windshield needed replacing

Old 07-17-2007, 11:58 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,911,906 times
Dramatic pics!
Colorado tends to get hailstorms, quite often in the month of July.
The sound is hellacious. The result can be like a snowstorm, but worse.
We've had the baseball sized hail--we also got a new roof out of it.
Our backyard was turned into pesto.
We did not pay for body repair on our car, though, we just drove around with the dings and dents like so many other Denverites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics