U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 AM
 
29,215 posts, read 52,047,747 times
Reputation: 21648

Advertisements

An Amtrak train struck and killed a woman who was listening to music while jogging along the tracks, police said on Saturday.

Amanda Byrne, 18 of Rowe, N.M., apparently was listening to music on an earpiece or headset as she was jogging along the tracks in Rowe, New Mexico on Friday afternoon and did not hear the train's warning horn as it approached her from behind, Lt. Eric Garcia said Saturday.

Amtrak train strikes jogger listening to music | Reuters
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2011, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,856 posts, read 47,753,049 times
Reputation: 58688
What a shame.
My kids use their iPods all the time and I know they can't hear a thing with them on. I don't even try to talk to them if they are 'hooked up'.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Neither here nor there
14,810 posts, read 15,288,063 times
Reputation: 32984
This one will probably make it into the Darwin Awards.

How sad for her family and friends.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 AM
 
Location: EPWV
15,333 posts, read 7,766,130 times
Reputation: 16590
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
An Amtrak train struck and killed a woman who was listening to music while jogging along the tracks, police said on Saturday.

Amanda Byrne, 18 of Rowe, N.M., apparently was listening to music on an earpiece or headset as she was jogging along the tracks in Rowe, New Mexico on Friday afternoon and did not hear the train's warning horn as it approached her from behind, Lt. Eric Garcia said Saturday.

Amtrak train strikes jogger listening to music | Reuters

Tell me there was no other place for her to jog than along railroad tracks?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Neither here nor there
14,810 posts, read 15,288,063 times
Reputation: 32984
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Tell me there was no other place for her to jog than along railroad tracks?
People sometimes do this when they have limited areas for jogging, like in a big city, with no access to a jogging track. Railroads are flat and you can pace yourself along them because of the equal spacing of the ties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
 
Location: EPWV
15,333 posts, read 7,766,130 times
Reputation: 16590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
People sometimes do this when they have limited areas for jogging, like in a big city, with no access to a jogging track. Railroads are flat and you can pace yourself along them because of the equal spacing of the ties.

Being a train commuter myself and knowing the dangers of such, I would rather go out and buy a treadmill than to risk life and/or limb. Would you walk across a busy street without looking? I don't think so.
That's what you're basically doing that close to the train tracks, but hey, if you like playing Russian Roulette,.... especially with the headphones on.
Because that's essentially what you are doing.
There's no schedule of what times the trains will come through any given area. It may be slow one week and then pick up the following week.

It's most unfortunate for this young lady and the loss her family will suffer. Maybe it will spur the area that she lives to get access to jogging trails or a school's use of their track for joggers that live in that area.

...Gus Melonas, a BNSF Railway spokesman....Melonas said. “All railroad property is no trespassing,” he added.Melonas said. “All railroad property is no trespassing,” he added.
Body found on BNSF railroad tracks in Camas | The Columbian

[LEFT]In a month of enforcement sweeps last year, authorities cited 68 individuals for trespassing and ejected 110 others with warnings near the Davis train station, she said.
The high number of track walkers and high volume of trains – 354 per week, including Amtrak's Capitol Corridor trains – make catastrophic incidents likely, she said.

Read more: Davis mayor opposes fence to block train tracks - Yolo County News - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/17/3329047/davis-mayor-opposes-fence-to-block.html#ixzz1BQ481dNA - broken link)
[/LEFT]
Davis mayor opposes fence to block train tracks - Yolo County News - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/17/3329047/davis-mayor-opposes-fence-to-block.html - broken link)

A railroad right of way refers to the land on either side of a railroad track. It is private property that is owned by railroad companies and usually extends 25 to 50 feet on either side of the track. Anyone in that area without the railroad’s permission is considered a trespasser.
Turlock Journal - Saving lives through railroad traffic enforcement, education
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Neither here nor there
14,810 posts, read 15,288,063 times
Reputation: 32984
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Being a train commuter myself and knowing the dangers of such, I would rather go out and buy a treadmill than to risk life and/or limb. Would you walk across a busy street without looking? I don't think so.
That's what you're basically doing that close to the train tracks, but hey, if you like playing Russian Roulette,.... especially with the headphones on.
Because that's essentially what you are doing.
There's no schedule of what times the trains will come through any given area. It may be slow one week and then pick up the following week.

It's most unfortunate for this young lady and the loss her family will suffer. Maybe it will spur the area that she lives to get access to jogging trails or a school's use of their track for joggers that live in that area.

...Gus Melonas, a BNSF Railway spokesman....Melonas said. “All railroad property is no trespassing,” he added.Melonas said. “All railroad property is no trespassing,” he added.
Body found on BNSF railroad tracks in Camas | The Columbian

[LEFT]In a month of enforcement sweeps last year, authorities cited 68 individuals for trespassing and ejected 110 others with warnings near the Davis train station, she said.
The high number of track walkers and high volume of trains – 354 per week, including Amtrak's Capitol Corridor trains – make catastrophic incidents likely, she said.

Read more: Davis mayor opposes fence to block train tracks - Yolo County News - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/17/3329047/davis-mayor-opposes-fence-to-block.html#ixzz1BQ481dNA - broken link)
[/LEFT]
Davis mayor opposes fence to block train tracks - Yolo County News - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/17/3329047/davis-mayor-opposes-fence-to-block.html - broken link)

A railroad right of way refers to the land on either side of a railroad track. It is private property that is owned by railroad companies and usually extends 25 to 50 feet on either side of the track. Anyone in that area without the railroad’s permission is considered a trespasser.
Turlock Journal - Saving lives through railroad traffic enforcement, education
I hope you weren't talking to me in your first two paragraphs. I know you weren't talking to the jogger who was killed because she's dead and can't read this so I don't know who the "you" you were addressing is, unless it was me. If so, your advice is misplaced as 1) I don't jog (I walk) and 2) I don't walk on railroad tracks, I use a treadmill indoors, my own. I was merely offering a plausible reason why some people choose to risk their lives by doing foolish things like jogging on a railroad track while listening to music via ear buds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 06:26 PM
 
11,869 posts, read 15,984,272 times
Reputation: 20055
A man was hit by a train in my city today also. The second person on that track in about 6 months. I cannot understand how a person doesn't hear that loud horn or feel the vibration of a multiple ton locomotive. And exactly how loud are you listening to your music that you can't hear a train horn coming at you? I live about 2 miles away from some tracks and I can hear the horn - in my house!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM
 
28,751 posts, read 44,220,483 times
Reputation: 37768
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
A man was hit by a train in my city today also. The second person on that track in about 6 months. I cannot understand how a person doesn't hear that loud horn or feel the vibration of a multiple ton locomotive. And exactly how loud are you listening to your music that you can't hear a train horn coming at you? I live about 2 miles away from some tracks and I can hear the horn - in my house!
And the assumption is it wasn't suicide?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 PM
 
11,869 posts, read 15,984,272 times
Reputation: 20055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And the assumption is it wasn't suicide?
The previous one was ruled an accident with a high school kid who always walked the tracks home. I don't know about today's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top