Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,421,767 times

Advertisements

A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to re-frame or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect. For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists.
  • I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience
  • I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
  • Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
  • The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.
  • Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
  • We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
  • War does not determine who is right – only who is left.
  • Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Evening news is where they begin with ‘Good evening’ and then proceed to tell you why it isn’t.
  • To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
  • A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.
  • How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
  • Some people are like Slinkies … not really good for anything, but you can’t help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.
  • I didn't say it was your fault; I said I was blaming you
  • Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars but check when you say the paint is wet?
  • Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America
  • Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
  • A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
  • You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
  • The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
  • Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won’t expect it back
  • A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.
  • Hospitality: making your guests feel like they’re at home, even if you wish they were.
  • Money can’t buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
  • Some cause happiness wherever they go. Others whenever they go.
  • I used to be indecisive. Now I’m not sure.
  • When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.
  • You’re never too old to learn something stupid.
  • To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
  • Some people hear voices. ome see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
  • A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are in it.
  • If you are supposed to learn from your mistakes, why do some people have more than one child?
  • Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 02-28-2011 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:15 PM

Pardon me while I clean this up a bit. LOL

Sorry for the small print. It was large when I put it there.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 02-28-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,130,109 times
............................... ......................................... ....What the...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
............................... ......................................... ....What the...

I thought for sure you would have on your Martian hat, Dabe. I had on mine when I opened the thread. Remind me to never do that again (the thread, not the hat).

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,130,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I thought for sure you would have on your Martian hat, Dabe. I had on mine when I opened the thread. Remind me to never do that again (the thread, not the hat).
Martian hat? Aluminum foil? Well, these were worth waiting for ....funny stuff!!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Martian hat? Aluminum foil? Well, these were worth waiting for ....funny stuff!!

That is very kind of you to say. The lettering is too small. I couldn't change it. Oh well, this, too, shall pass.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 PM
bjh

60,403 posts, read 30,589,369 times
Funny stuff

Old 03-01-2011, 05:27 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,447,204 times
Quote:
If you are supposed to learn from your mistakes, why do some people have more than one child?
I may have this one carved on my tombstone.
Great job Ketabcha!!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,173,588 times
I always take life with a grain of salt, plus a slice of lemon,and a shot of tequila.

These are very clever!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,257,622 times
I never knew there was a literary name for one-liners like that. Great fun, Ketabcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics