Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:25 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times

Advertisements

"Manning Up: How the Rise of Women Has Turned Men Into Boys"", a new book by Kay Hymowitz, may explain a few things about the falling-behind of men in Gen Y...

Quote:
Not so long ago, the average American man in his 20s had achieved most of the milestones of adulthood: a high-school diploma, financial independence, marriage and children. Today, most men in their 20s hang out in a novel sort of limbo, a hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance. This "pre-adulthood" has much to recommend it, especially for the college-educated. But it's time to state what has become obvious to legions of frustrated young women: It doesn't bring out the best in men.
http://www.mydaily.com/2011/03/13/manning-up-kay-hymowitz-men-boys-pre-adults/?icid=maing|main5|dl3|sec1_lnk1|50668

Old 03-19-2011, 06:27 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
That is clearly evident. And more evidence is reading some of the threads here.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:29 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
That is clearly evident. And more evidence is reading some of the threads here.
My thoughts exactly, but I'm sure the book will bring even more controversy than it already has.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:40 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
I have to wonder why young men are making this choice. There is nothing about the rise of women that prevents men from being successful in life. Why are they choosing to play video games rather than compete with the women? Can't men handle competition?

Men's roles are, undoubtedly, changing. We don't need providers anymore, we can provide but we still need partners. I really don't get why equality for women is such an issue for men.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:40 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
"Manning Up: How the Rise of Women Has Turned Men Into Boys"", a new book by Kay Hymowitz, may explain a few things about the falling-behind of men in Gen Y...

http://www.mydaily.com/2011/03/13/manning-up-kay-hymowitz-men-boys-pre-adults/?icid=maing|main5|dl3|sec1_lnk1|50668
I don't think that the "rise of women" has anything to do with it. Women have always been more mature than men.

Keeping "children" on your health insurance until they're 26 doesn't help.

It's going to have the unforeseen consequence of extending the nesting period of young people. What happens when they turn 27?

We live in a time in history when everyone seems to want the best of both worlds. While nobody wants to see their children suffer, I think that some sacrifice is a necessary part of growing up.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:51 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have to wonder why young men are making this choice. There is nothing about the rise of women that prevents men from being successful in life. Why are they choosing to play video games rather than compete with the women? Can't men handle competition?

Men's roles are, undoubtedly, changing. We don't need providers anymore, we can provide but we still need partners. I really don't get why equality for women is such an issue for men.
How often do mothers and girlfriends etc emasculate their boys and men?

There were and are valid points to the womens movement. Women are equals. But that doesn't diminish a man and his masculenity at all.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:01 AM

369 posts, read 618,039 times
Oh come on, women of today are so d-mn picky that it hurts the plainer looking so called "pre adult man" to become a full man because he knows constant rejection will push him right back into extended boyhood anyway.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:02 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
There have been massive changes in society in the last century, and especially so in the last 50 years. Women have made tremendous progress, and are energized by new freedom and opportunity. This is a wonderful development. However, men's roles have become ambiguous. There are no clear roles or expectations. I suspect it will take a couple of more generations for society to settle into new, healthy patterns.

Presently, there is no need or incentive for men to "settle down," marry, and have families. Women have children and raise them alone (40% of children are now born to single mothers, I believe). Men can enjoy their freedom from such responsibility, and given the legal and social disincentives to marry, many simply don't.

What I do find most worrisome is the declining educational attainments of men. That will limit their personal growth, career options, income, and future desirability as marriage prospects (should they decide they want to), as well as be a damper on national competitiveness and economic development. I think we'll have a generation or two with large numbers of single, childless men - after that, who knows?

However, while the trend is widespread, apparently, it's not a given. My son finished college, got a great job, has a great girlfriend whom he met freshman year who is also well educated with a good job, and I expect they'll get married. And yes, they play a lot of video games.

My wife's older son also has a good education and a good job. However, while he'd probably like to date and eventually marry, he sees no need to rush, is a little inept at relationships, and most of the women he's met have been dysfunctional in some way. Not much incentive to change his situation, really.

I do think dating roles will have to change. Women will have to take more initiative if they want to meet, date, and marry good men.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:07 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
Of course, everything wrong with men today is a woman's fault somehow. That is what men, who can't grow up and become MEN, need, someone to blame their own failure's on. Most of the young men I know are productive adults with jobs that do not live at home. CD, on the other hand, seems to have many young men with issues about leaving home, getting a job, and finding a relationship.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
As with all "trends", I first have to ask myself .. is this true? Statistically speaking, what percentage of men age 25 have achieved adult status? Degree, married, children, etc.? It may be just as high, or only slightly lower, than it was in 1960. Just because the fully functioning 22-year-old adult man isn't being featured in the media these days doesn't mean he doesn't exist. Tonight I'm meeting up with two couples, both of whom are in their mid 20s. One owns a house, the other is waiting to hear back if their offer was accepted on a house. Both wives have solid professional jobs, one of the husbands does and the other husband is finishing up college. (He joined the Army at age 17 and did five years, then got out and went to school full time.) Both couples are trying to get pregnant. I haven't seen any movies about these type of people lately (it would be an awfully boring movie I'm sure) but they're out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics