Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Leaf Blowers?
I like them. 3 12.00%
I hate them. 18 72.00%
I have no opinion. 0 0%
I really don't care. 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:43 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times

Advertisements

I really hate Leaf Blowers. They are loud as heck and the pitch of the gas engine powered ones is very annoying.

They emit toxic fumes because most are 2 stroke gas engines burning both oil and gasoline together.

They use up our precious oil/resources and even electric ones are using power from a plant that probably burns fossil fuels.

They stir up dust clouds that are thick enough to provide cover for an infantry division.

My biggest beef is that they really accomplish nothing. The leaves and debris are simply moved from one place to another. Usually one neighbor decides his leaves should be blown over to his neighbor's property.

Or in Sarasota the city blows the leaves and debris off downtown sidewalks into the street; where they subsequently block the storm sewers and increase urban flooding problems.

Sometimes newer technology is NOT better technology. I think the old fashioned rake and/or broom were more effective. At least the leaves were taken away and mulched at a landfill or on your own property.

Let's not forget the exercise that one also got from raking and being outdoors....now with blowers you get little exercise and need to wear a mask so you don't breathe in all the dust.

WHAT SAY YOU??????

Leaf blower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leaf Blowers Must Die | Daedalus Howell

Why I Hate Leaf Blowers | Conservation 101: the Compete to Conserve Blog

I Hate Leaf-Blowers! Leaf-Blowers are not green | Living Green and Saving Energy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 12:50 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
The only problem I have with them is my neighbors use them to blow their leaves and other lawn waste out into the street so it can blow back on MY lawn. Personally I prefer the one that vacuums the waste up.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:08 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
The lazy man's broom???

Old 02-12-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
The only problem I have with them is my neighbors use them to blow their leaves and other lawn waste out into the street so it can blow back on MY lawn. Personally I prefer the one that vacuums the waste up.
At least the kind that vacuums leaves up makes some sense. But as you say........

But with leaf blowers the leaves usually just blow over to a neighbor's property.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
The lazy man's broom???
LOL......That's a better way to put it....when we were kids we loved raking leaves.....we'd play and jump in them etc...before bagging them up...or piling them up in the compost pile.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
LOL......That's a better way to put it....when we were kids we loved raking leaves.....we'd play and jump in them etc...before bagging them up...or piling them up in the compost pile.
Yep, that's all true! These days I don't even see the sense in raking leaves. Mulch 'em with the lawnmower or leave them they'll break down. Why haul the leaves to the landfills?? Run over them with the lawnmower and leave them be.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:37 AM

One of my neighbors uses them as a mulch beneath her trees. She actually takes them from people who have raked them up. At least that keeps them off my front yard.
I don't have trees that drop big leaves but because some of the neighbors just blow them out into the street, they clog my gutters...that's so annoying.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:40 AM

210 posts, read 471,494 times
I love my electric leaf blower. Ours is a vac blower with a bag that mulches the leaves for us to reuse. Raking is not an option for me, I'm disabled. This way I can safely pick them up, reuse them, and also avoid slipping on them.

Last edited by feanix; 02-12-2011 at 01:49 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
In our neighborhood, the yard guys blow the leaves into a pile and then put them in the special leaf bags at the curb. It's not 'spread around.' But I still can't stand the noise. Makes me nuts.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:48 AM

I have noticed to that the people you hire don't make the mess, its the homeowners who are lazy.

They either bag them like mentioned or they use their leaf blowers to blow them into a gutter system, which I have out in the street. Of course if there isn't one close by I guess they have to do something else.

The noise is definitely annoying and it seems to go on and on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics