Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 03:58 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,255 times

Advertisements

Dh and I grew up on the East Coast. We have lived in the midwest for 7 years now. One of the things we miss(although we really like the midwest) is what we call the East Coast sense of humor. I think it is a bit more sarcastic and possibly harsh than what most people have in the midwest. Has anyone else noticed this? Interestingly enough our daughter seems to have it too, although she has spent most of her years here. Of course there is always the chance that we just appreciate our own humor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 04:12 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower53072 View Post
Dh and I grew up on the East Coast. We have lived in the midwest for 7 years now. One of the things we miss(although we really like the midwest) is what we call the East Coast sense of humor. I think it is a bit more sarcastic and possibly harsh than what most people have in the midwest. Has anyone else noticed this? Interestingly enough our daughter seems to have it too, although she has spent most of her years here. Of course there is always the chance that we just appreciate our own humor
I was born and raised in NYC. Some people in AZ just don't get my sense of humor. I think people from the east coast tend to see the funny side of situations. Yes, other folks might see it as too sarcastic or a tad harsh.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:50 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,377,003 times
Being from the east coast I can relate. Our sense of humor does seem to be what we call "Sarcastic Wit". I do believe that it comes from living where we live, especially in the northeast. Winters are harsh and sometimes living is harsh and New Englanders, anyway, use their sarcastic humor to cope with situations that would ordinarily send you into depression. If you have read any of my posts you have seen it. Ha! Ha!

Old 06-24-2007, 06:23 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
im sarcastic all the time wtf isnt it like that everywhere?

jesus, i need to get out more. the furthest west ive been was ohio.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:29 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,082 times
Yeah the east coast tends to be a little more sarcastic, or so I think. I'm not a fan of sarcasm, though sometimes I do use it in a harmless way.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Yeah the east coast tends to be a little more sarcastic, or so I think. I'm not a fan of sarcasm, though sometimes I do use it in a harmless way.
nothing wrong with it. i was raised in brooklyn. it's how we made friends. the only time i ever fought was with outsiders who didn't get the sense of humor. i guess it is just an east coast thing. huh, ya learn something new every day.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
nothing wrong with it. i was raised in brooklyn. it's how we made friends. the only time i ever fought was with outsiders who didn't get the sense of humor. i guess it is just an east coast thing. huh, ya learn something new every day.
I actually find people in NYC friendlier than DC.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I actually find people in NYC friendlier than DC.
it wasn't always like that. in the early 90s, you could get shot for looking at someone the wrong way. NYC has changed alot since I remember it. I still hate the NY Yankees though. Go mets!

Old 06-24-2007, 07:07 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
Being from the east coast I can relate. Our sense of humor does seem to be what we call "Sarcastic Wit". I do believe that it comes from living where we live, especially in the northeast. Winters are harsh and sometimes living is harsh and New Englanders, anyway, use their sarcastic humor to cope with situations that would ordinarily send you into depression. If you have read any of my posts you have seen it. Ha! Ha!

well. said north, i'd say we have a very dry sense of humor, and we tend not to laugh at our own jokes, so, im sure folks "from away" are probly thinking, these people are "touched" and may not laugh to insult us, in case we werent joking,,

Old 06-24-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
it wasn't always like that. in the early 90s, you could get shot for looking at someone the wrong way. NYC has changed alot since I remember it. I still hate the NY Yankees though. Go mets!
Yeah, NYC had a bad rep when I was growing up, but once I came out of my teens, I started to like NYC much better than DC. Perhaps because the women there was very kind to me, and had them buy drinks for me. In DC, that'd be a pipe dream unless you're 3-4 dates in.

And Yankees suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics