Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times

Advertisements

Good morning to all! Hope everyone affected byt he hurricane is safe.

Today's Questions:

Are any of you, or people you know, in areas being affected by the hurricane?
We're too far West from the shore. We have a little breeze outside here, but no rain or weather threats.

If you’re in ‘hurricane alley’, have you ever had to evacuate?

Have you ever 'ridden out' a hurricane?
Having grown up on the Jersey shore, we've ridden out several hurricanes and nor'easters.

What is your most memorable weather experience?
I remember being stupid enough to ride out some storms on the boarwalk and jetties at Pt. Pleasant Beach.

Bonus Question:

Listening to NPR about the hurricane, I heard this:
Boisterous New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie demanded people "get the hell off the beach" in Asbury Park and said:
"You're done. Do not waste any more time working on your tan."

Which makes me ask:

What is the most absurd you have ever seen someone do, or not do, during a severe weather event?
Can't really think of anything. People really don't surprise me anymore.

Just For Fun

In honor of Popeye and Olive Oyl first kiss

Who was your ‘first kiss’?
Wow, I have no idea...

Word of the Day:

Common Sense /com.mon sense/noun
1. Sound practical judgment derived from experience rather than study

Today is:
Motorist Consideration Day Good one!!!
National Neighborhood Day I'd sure love to downsize into a new one.
First Kiss Day August 27, 1929 (Popeye and Olive Oyl had their first kiss)
“Use your head” Day Wow, this one would be nice to see too!

Have a great day everyone. Thanks for QOTD, Joy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 08:40 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,786,884 times
hello to all.... Lovely day (at the moment)

Today's Questions:

Are any of you, or people you know, in areas being affected by the hurricane? we're in ME and won't get much but rain in a day or two. Winds usually die down a lot by the time it reaches all the way up here. I've been through 2 hurricanes in RI and remember them well. Not fun except when the eye of the storm went over head and the sun comes out... calm and serene until the clouds come back and back to the the storm.

If you’re in ‘hurricane alley’, have you ever had to evacuate? we just hunkered down in the house.

Have you ever 'ridden out' a hurricane? yes

What is your most memorable weather experience? 1985 with Gloria and 1991 with Bob in RI. Bob was the tough one. We lost lots of large oak trees in the area. The road was blocked for about a week along with the power. Sounded like a freight train going through the area.

Bonus Question:

Boisterous New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie demanded people "get the hell off the beach" in Asbury Park and said:

Which makes me ask:

What is the most absurd you have ever seen someone do, or not do, during a severe weather event? not me but the stuupid weathermen

Just For Fun

Who was your ‘first kiss’? Cindy

Old 08-27-2011, 08:48 AM

38,882 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Today's Questions:

I have cousins in New Jersey and NYC.

I'm in Earthquake Country, so this question is N/A.

Have you ever 'ridden out' a hurricane? A typhoon is the same as a hurricane only in the western Pacific, so based on that--yes, I rode one out in Guam in the mid 60s.

What is your most memorable weather experience? The typhoon in Guam and also being under tornado watch when visiting friends in the springtime one year in Omaha, Nebraska.

Bonus Question:

Which makes me ask:

What is the most absurd you have ever seen someone do, or not do, during a severe weather event?
I saw a couple people in my neighborhood walking their dog past my house when we were having a rainstorm last winter. Didn't seem to faze them one bit.

Just For Fun

A girl in high school named Roanne.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 AM

24,463 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Today's Questions:

No one personally, some CD folks that I hope make it through the storm.

Nope.

And nope.

Probably some snowstorms in OH in the 40's.

Bonus Question:

Which makes me ask:

Newscasters out in the storm, surfers and the lookie loo folks.

Just For Fun

Don't really remember. So many girls, so little time.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Today's Questions:

Are any of you, or people you know, in areas being affected by the hurricane? - I think my sister, brother in-law, and my 2 nephews, but I'm not sure yet. They live in Long Island, New York.

[color=teal]What is your most memorable weather experience?Oh... I guess anytime I sit on the beach on a summer day and watch women in bikinis go by is a memorable weather experience.. - Actually, it was probably June 26th, 1990, when the high temperature in Phoenix reached 122 degress, which is the record high... but it's a dry heat..

Bonus Question:

Which makes me ask:

What is the most absurd you have ever seen someone do, or not do, during a severe weather event? I can't think of any, but I guess I'll come up with one.. maybe I'll streak during a football game in the middle of winter.. in Minnesota..

Just For Fun

Who was your ‘first kiss’? - Hmmm.. a girl told me to kiss her.. rear end (to put it politely) one time, and when I tried, she had me arrested.. - I'm only kidding, I would say my high school girlfriend.. and it was a polite kiss on her lips, she didn't ask me to kiss her rear end..

Old 08-27-2011, 10:08 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Mornin’ all
Sending a prayer out to folks on the East coast who are being affected by Irene.

Today's Questions:

Bonus Question:

Which makes me ask:

Just For Fun

Today in History:

1667 - Earliest recorded hurricane in U.S., Jamestown, Virginia
1859 - 1st successful oil well drilled near Titusville, Penn by Edwin Drake
1894 - Congress passes Wilson-Gorman Tariff Act, which includes a graduated income tax later struck down by the Supreme Court
1955 - Guinness Book of World Records 1st published

Word of the Day:

Today is:
Motorist Consideration Day
National Neighborhood Day
“Use your head” Day

Stay safe out there and,
Hurricane Irene is affecting a lot of my people since I've spent a lot of my life in Southern and Northern Virginia and have a lot of family there and in North Carolina.

I did evacuate for one Hurricane back in the late 90s while living in Virginia. Other times i've ridden out hurricanes including Hugo in SC and Isabel and Floyd in Virginia.

Most memorable weather experience is seeing a funnel cloud while we were stationed at Langley AFB and screaming and crying.

Most absurd thing is I saw someone wear shorts after a major snowstorm.

First kiss; a girl in 2nd grade kissed me which I didnt want. Sadly I havent gotten one since.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:40 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Today's Questions:

People I know were evacuated from Ocean City, Maryland. I am on my way there on Monday. I feel forunate that I missed it by a day.

Not that I recall. I was always on the non evacuated side of the road on Long Island.

Yes. It's really not a big deal like a tornado. People have plenty of time to prepare for hurricanes, not like tornadoes.

Losing power for 5 days had an annoying impact but I think the scariest was watching TV the first year I moved to Tennessee and having the screen go black (the weather service took over the channel, it was not a screen crawl) and being told to take shelter immediately because of a tornado. I live in an apartment and went and sat in my walk-in closet with my battery radio and a battery lantern. I was really scared. It has happened one more time since I have been living here.

I can't imagine what an earthquake is like. Where do you go when the earth under your feet is moving?

Bonus Question:

Which makes me ask:

Welllllll , right before a hurricane my then husband and I waded into the water, picked up a small sand shark and took him home and put him in our bathtub filled with water during the hurricane where we watched him swim around. After the hurricane passed through, we put him back in the water. Right before a hurricane, I recall the sea creatures come very close to shore. I remember being in Florida the day before a big one hit and there being sting rays (I think that's what they are called) all along close to the shore.

Just For Fun

I really don't want to put anyone's name in here but I was in elementary school and it was after a dance in the gym.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:57 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Today's Questions:

Are any of you, or people you know, in areas being affected by the hurricane? don't think so

If you’re in ‘hurricane alley’, have you ever had to evacuate? Texas coast, yes

Have you ever 'ridden out' a hurricane? no

What is your most memorable weather experience? I lived in Corpus Christi, Tx and we had a rare water spout that everyone freaked out over.

Bonus Question:

What is the most absurd you have ever seen someone do, or not do, during a severe weather event? We don't really get severe weather here but....I never understand people here who insist on driving when we've had winter weather. We are from Texas, we don't know how to drive on ice and snow, the city doesn't know how to prepare for it - and you're surprised when you spin out and wreck your car? That is why the city shuts down at the first sign of ice or snow.

Just For Fun

Who was your ‘first kiss’? I had a first kiss around 5 with my best friend, Jason. My teenage first kiss was Bryan. I still dream about him sometimes.

Today is:
“Use your head” Day

Old 08-27-2011, 02:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Mrs. Tek has business acquaintances all up and down the east coast.

Sitting through a tornado. Not fun and not recommended.

Bonus Question:

Which makes me ask:

When I was in high school we had a major outbreak of tornadoes here. One town up north was literally wiped off the map. Nothing left. Me and a bunch of my buddies were in a backyard watching all the twisters go by. It was fun and we were lucky.

Just For Fun

Who was your ‘first kiss’? Diane down the street. Probably 8 or 9 at the time. Our phone number was 60849 and hers was 60489. Her little sister Vicky and I had the same birthday. TMI??

Today in History:

1667 - Earliest recorded hurricane in U.S., Jamestown, Virginia
1859 - 1st successful oil well drilled near Titusville, Penn by Edwin Drake
1894 - Congress passes Wilson-Gorman Tariff Act, which includes a graduated income tax later struck down by the Supreme Court
1955 - Guinness Book of World Records 1st published

Word of the Day:

Today is:
“Use your head” Day

Old 08-27-2011, 02:21 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Hello All...I hit the ground running this morning...so while I have a few minutes......

Today's Questions:

Yes....my niece is in Mass as we speak....my son is in Fayetteville...they just got some of the outer band.

If you’re in ‘hurricane alley’, have you ever had to evacuate? This will be the answer for the next one too...I'm considered a 1st responder so I can't evacuate...unless it's to our Central Ops building.

Have you ever 'ridden out' a hurricane? Charley, Francis and Jeanne.

What is your most memorable weather experience?Charley, Francis and Jeanne. And attempting to get to Central Ops taking all right turns because all the traffic lights were out.

Bonus Question:

Which makes me ask:

Just before Charley was to hit...my idiot neighbors set their old washer and dryer out to the curb. We took pictures just in case they became flying objects that caused damage to property.
I didn't know them personally but friends of friends road Francis out on their roof.

Just For Fun

Who was your ‘first kiss’? His name was Johnny and it was in kindergarden....we were so in love!!!

Have a great Saturday everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics